AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Old 12th April, 2004, 07:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to barneygumble742 Send a message via Yahoo to barneygumble742

fans and fan controllers

hi,

i recently built a new box and i need fans. i need 3 fans for the back outtake and 1 for the front intake. i thought about getting 4 x 80mm fans. does anybody recommend any trusted brand or one with the right cfm/dba combination?

for the front intake, i thought of having 1 x 120mm since the pc has to intake less but exhaust more (i could be wrong here).

also i'd like to get a front panel fan controller that automatically changes their speed depending on the case temp. i looked at some online but you have to manually control them. if anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

i noticed that some fans have a 3 pin connector, some have 4, and some have a 3 and a 4 pin connector (3 for speed control and 4 for power). is it possible for a fan to only have a 3 pin connector and have the mobo control it based on temp?

thanks,
barneygumble742
32in + 24in LCD
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th April, 2004, 10:31 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneygumble742
hi,

i recently built a new box and i need fans. i need 3 fans for the back outtake and 1 for the front intake. i thought about getting 4 x 80mm fans. does anybody recommend any trusted brand or one with the right cfm/dba combination?

for the front intake, i thought of having 1 x 120mm since the pc has to intake less but exhaust more (i could be wrong here).
I would suggest you try and balance the volume of air coming into the case to the air exhausting the case, or have more coming in rather than going out. If you have it like you suggested you will end up with air entering the case from everywhere and could lead to bad dust build up.

Quote:
also i'd like to get a front panel fan controller that automatically changes their speed depending on the case temp. i looked at some online but you have to manually control them. if anyone has any suggestions that would be great.
Have a look for a Digi Doc fan controller. They are pretty handy in that they can handle up to 8 different fans, but be warned they have lots of wires!
Quote:
i noticed that some fans have a 3 pin connector, some have 4, and some have a 3 and a 4 pin connector (3 for speed control and 4 for power). is it possible for a fan to only have a 3 pin connector and have the mobo control it based on temp?
What ever you do dont run your 80mm fans off the MB headers!
Most 80mm case fans will have the 4 pin Molex connectors for connecting directly to your PSU or fan controller.

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th April, 2004, 03:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to barneygumble742 Send a message via Yahoo to barneygumble742

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazgoat
I would suggest you try and balance the volume of air coming into the case to the air exhausting the case, or have more coming in rather than going out. If you have it like you suggested you will end up with air entering the case from everywhere and could lead to bad dust build up.
i thought that if the intake was higher than the exhaust, then that leads to dust build-up. whereas if the exhaust was higher than the intake, then the air inside would leave faster than coming in, not giving enough time for dust to settle in.

Quote:
Have a look for a Digi Doc fan controller. They are pretty handy in that they can handle up to 8 different fans, but be warned they have lots of wires!
your right. it has a ton of wires. but it looks really fun.

Quote:
What ever you do dont run your 80mm fans off the MB headers!
Most 80mm case fans will have the 4 pin Molex connectors for connecting directly to your PSU or fan controller.
should i get 80mm fans with a 3 pin connector for temp control (connect it to the digidoc) AND a 4 pin connect for the ps? so that the power and the temp control don't mix?

thanks a lot for your help,
barneygumble742
32in + 24in LCD
Old 13th April, 2004, 04:59 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to RussianMissile1

why not just get fans with a built in thermal diode, do they control their own speed according to case temp. this would work best with exhaust fans.
Old 13th April, 2004, 02:56 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Quote:
i thought that if the intake was higher than the exhaust, then that leads to dust build-up. whereas if the exhaust was higher than the intake, then the air inside would leave faster than coming in, not giving enough time for dust to settle in.
Air in will equal air out, no matter how many fans you have and what direction they point it. If you want to stop dust intrusion then you will need more airflow in that with filters on the intakes.

If you have balanced airflow (same CFM in as out) and your fans are positioned right, then your case should be like a wind tunnel with the fans working at peak efficacy. If you have more intake than exhaust then you will get a slight positive pressure inside the case. The exhaust fans will be working at peak efficacy but the intake fans will be pushing against a slightly higher pressure, going "up hill" if you will. That extra air has to go somewhere so it finds all the nooks and crannies and small holes that it can to escape through. Optical and floppy drives are good candidates as well as unused ports and any vent holes the case manufacturer put in.

This doesn't cause a big problem for dust intrusion because dust usually ends up building up where the air makes a direction change or is forced to move around something. You'll get dust on the bottom of your video card or on the caps on the mobo or on the backside of your ports or on the back side of your drives. That is not really a big deal and can be cleaned with a chip brush. Filters on the intake fans would cut down on almost all the dust.

However, if you have more exhaust than intake your case will be slightly negative pressure. The exhaust fans will be running uphill. Instead of air being pushed out of all the nooks and crannies, it will be drawn in them. Dust inside your optical drives is not a good thing. And no amount of intake air filters will stop it.

Quote:
should i get 80mm fans with a 3 pin connector for temp control (connect it to the digidoc) AND a 4 pin connect for the ps? so that the power and the temp control don't mix?

thanks a lot for your help,
barneygumble742
In fans with a 3 pin and 4 pin connector the 3 pin connector is for RPM monitoring only and doesn't control fan speed.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.

Last edited by Staz; 13th April, 2004 at 03:17 PM.
Old 13th April, 2004, 11:04 PM

wow. thanks for all the info on dust collection. it's become a problem for me and i don't want my new box to look like the old one.

in the back of my case, i have space for 2x80mm fans on the top, back above the ps. and when you look directly at the mobo, there's space for 1x80mm directly in front of the pci slots meant for exhaust. and of course 1x(80mm or 120mm) in the front of the case for intake.

is the "wind tunnel" the most efficient way to cool the pc and prevent dust?
32in + 24in LCD
Old 19th April, 2004, 10:36 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Quote:
hi,

thermaltake smart fan2....comes with cheap control that u'd have to drill a hole in your case for as well as a temp diode..78.7 cfm they say @ max(my 2 tested higher) and they are quite quiet @ 3000 rpm...moving like 36cfm...14$ at the store closest to me.
if ya like a fancy controoler, they got that too for the fans, but i drilled holes in my case.

Last edited by cadaveca; 19th April, 2004 at 10:46 PM.
Old 20th April, 2004, 12:38 AM

I got a 4 fan controller with 4 temp probes and like 7 color lcd. Its great has alarms, displays 1fan and 1temp probe at the same time. I paid like $20bucks if your interested ill see if i can dig up the sellers name. I also got like 5 diff color faceplates for it free, and the rings around the knobs light up blue, its real clean....
Old 1st May, 2004, 05:05 AM

I'm interested! Where did you get it?