AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th April, 2004, 06:21 PM

Volcano 11 vs Volcano 12 Extreme?

Hey I am running a athlon 3200+ on an A7N8X-E Deluxe. I just bought a volcano 11 from CompUSA (i needed a hsf real fast) and right now my comp runs about 47C LOW at idle, with fan on full speed. I am looking at benchmarks of the volcano 12 and it says its running 38C under load??? Is it really that much better? Im wondering if I should returnt his for a volcano 12? Any info?
Old 19th April, 2004, 09:19 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I suspect that you need to investigate airflow in your case, first.

Try taking the side panel of the case off and see if your temps drop. If they drop significantly (like 5C or more), you have a ventilation problem and all the fancy heat sinks in the world won't improve it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th April, 2004, 09:48 PM

Ok I got the side panel off and fan on full, just doin normal windows things (aim, ie, etc) i am running at 47C-48C. Is the volcano 12 really that much more advanced where it can cool 10C more?
Old 19th April, 2004, 11:20 PM

BTW my fan setup is an 80mm on the hdd heads intake, an 80mm intake on the side aimed at the gpu and one 80mm exhuast on the back. Im using artic silver and a volcano 11. WTF tis is like a top of the line cooler why is it performing so ****ty?
Old 19th April, 2004, 11:31 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

OK the only way to really check this I think would be to swap heat sinks and see if you get the expected results. No 10 degrees is out of line as a rule.

When you say your looking at bench marks, whose? Yours in the same machine or in your friends machine or taken from the net?

Sorry for my sloppy reading":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th April, 2004, 12:14 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Ok, looks like we've ruled out ventilation then.

What's your ambient temp (the temp of the room you are in)?
Old 20th April, 2004, 12:32 AM

My ambient temp is 27.3C. I want to swap the heatsinks but i dont want to buy the v12 if it isnt going to improve anything.

As for the benchmarks I loooked them up online:

volcano 12:

http://www.overclockercafe.com/Revie...no12/pg_4.html

volcano 11:

http://www.overclockercafe.com/Revie...ano11_pg4.html

bout 10C thats HUGE for a HSF !!! Any ideas?
Old 20th April, 2004, 12:45 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

First of all, notice that the systems are running different CPUs and different mobos. These are NOT identical systems for comparison. Nor is the voltage that the CPUs are running at specified or verified with a meter. The voltage the CPU is running at can have a significant impact on the temp. In addition, while the Volcano 12 test rig is stipulated to be tested with a thermistor mounted on the core, the Volcano 11 test rig has no such stipulation, so we don't know what conditions pertained at the time of the test.

In short, there's something rotten in these numbers, IMHO.

Second, are you sure that you've got the HSF mounted flat to the CPU, and you've got a good, even, THIN coat of compound?
Old 20th April, 2004, 01:38 AM

Hmmm good point....

for some reason with the side of the case off it was getting real hot at idle (51C?). SO I turned the side and front fans to intake and the rear to exhuast, now it holds at 47-48C with side on and CPU fan on full.

I used AC3 and I applied semi-thick strip across the long part of the cpu. I assume that when the hsf got put on it was squished into a thin layer, becuase the hsf rests like 1mm above the cpu...

Ideas? Reapply ac3? use refular thermal comp? Also what should the vcore voltage be for thei athlon 3200+ with 400fsb?
Old 20th April, 2004, 03:48 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Having temps go up with the side panel off is actually good. Most well designed systems will do exactly that. It means you've got your air intake and exhaust balanced out right to get maximum ventilation through your system.

Generally speaking, you want absolutely as thin a layer of compound as is humanly possible. 1 mm thick is too much. What you want is for there to be as much metal-to-metal contact as possible, with the compound filling the voids where the two surfaces don't perfectly match.

The 3200+ runs a VCore of 1.65v by default.
Old 20th April, 2004, 04:12 AM

Cool.

OK After I switcvhed the fans I left the comp for a while and i came back and it was running @ 45C, pretty good i'd say. Im going to clean the AC3 off and redo it to see if i can do even better. Quick question:

What would you recommend using to clean the old AC3 off the processor? I usually use qtips, but i was just curious.
Old 20th April, 2004, 04:45 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak84
Cool.

OK After I switcvhed the fans I left the comp for a while and i came back and it was running @ 45C, pretty good i'd say. Im going to clean the AC3 off and redo it to see if i can do even better. Quick question:

What would you recommend using to clean the old AC3 off the processor? I usually use qtips, but i was just curious.
99.9% isopropyl alcohol....q-tip...try to not get iso on pcb.
Old 20th April, 2004, 05:03 AM

in my experience ...

Your room temp of 27C+ is warm , with the best air cooling solutions
you could expect cpu temps , with 1.65 Vcore , in the low 40C's. That
would be with a large server case flowing 90+cfm through the case ,
very good cpu heatsink , something like a ThermalRight slk-900a with a 50+ cfm cpu fan .

Or lower your room temp , ( I use a small window A/C near the rig ) ,
you could be in the high 30C's to low 40C's , with what you have now .
Old 20th April, 2004, 07:18 AM

Room temp isnt 27C, inside case temp is, im not quite sure what room temp is. Do you think reaaplying the AC3 in a thinner layer would be produce better results?

BTW I used Iso alchohol i got with a athlon unlock kit to clean thermal grease of the proc, yeah i assumed that it was safe for the entire chip... i was wrong..lol so im kinda against using that, ill just use a qtip and make sure its clean. Oh BTW, the volcano 11 runs around 75cfm @ 4800RPM