AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th April, 2004, 06:58 PM

Artic Silver + Correct Application = 10C Decrease

WOW

Ok lil background info:

Athlon 3200+ XP
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
PNY PC2700 512mb
Volcano 11 HSF

Ok The first time I applied Artic Silver 3 I put a line across the long part of the proc and slapped the heatsink right on that, thinking the AC3 would spread and think out after the HSF was on...

WRONG

After doing that I ran idle temps of 48C-51C with a case temp of 27C. I do some post and get some help off the board and learn that less is better.

Today I take the hsf off, clean all the old AC3 and put the tinyest dot in the middle of the proc. Using a Credit Card I spread the AC3 so it was mostly visible but in some areas you could see the metal. I tried to make it thin, but not too thin.

Anyway Fire her up after that and lo and behold:

Idle 41C!!!!

Crazy! Such a small thing can lower temps so much!
Old 20th April, 2004, 07:01 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Well done! Yes it's the little things that make or break an effort!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th April, 2004, 08:05 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
Well done! Yes it's the little things that make or break an effort!
i started a thread the other day.. i did like bluestrak, and did notice a difference right away.
however once i had"broken it in"..temps increased.
i don't have my case door on.this increases temps to around 52c under load.
Old 20th April, 2004, 09:33 PM
Member/Contributer

Good for you, bluestreak!
Old 21st April, 2004, 02:56 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
i started a thread the other day.. i did like bluestrak, and did notice a difference right away.
however once i had"broken it in"..temps increased.
i don't have my case door on.this increases temps to around 52c under load.
Hi cadaveca, I've been thinking about your AS5 problem... I just bought some myself - I seems to me only three things can be happening.

1. Heat sink somehow not properly installed.
2. Bad temp reporting.
3. a bad batch of AS5.

The syringe I bought works great BTW. Sorry not to be of more help!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st April, 2004, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
Hi cadaveca, I've been thinking about your AS5 problem... I just bought some myself - I seems to me only three things can be happening.

1. Heat sink somehow not properly installed.
2. Bad temp reporting.
3. a bad batch of AS5.

The syringe I bought works great BTW. Sorry not to be of more help!
the problem has been solved by lapping the heatsink. i guess i was so used to using my old lapped one that i was putting too little for the deep grooves in the bottom of my volcano 9. 45c after and hour and a bit on first boot ain't bad
any tips on unlocking a NEW 2400+
this one looks way diff than the rest i've seen...made in march 04.
Old 21st April, 2004, 03:48 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

There's a mod you can do to turn it into a mobile, which then effectively unlocks it. Do a search in our forums here for 'mobile mod' and you should turn up the thread.
Old 21st April, 2004, 03:49 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

BTW, glad to hear that you've resolved your temp issues.
Old 21st April, 2004, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
BTW, glad to hear that you've resolved your temp issues.
my idle has hit 40c...should see a few more degrees fall off once it has been broken in right.
the moblie mod did not work...and yes i did do it right...i used a voltmeter to test the pins...it's weird as the tracses are WAY farther apart than any other proc i've seen
i almost joined a link to one of the risistors on top as there is only about 1.5millimeters beteween the trace and the resistor. i sold my other(old) proc so no i can't take pictures ( the proc walked out my door about 10 mins ago.)
i went to all the local stores and noone had any decent steppings, so i settled on this one which was cheap. i can't seem to find anything slower here....I've had better luck overclocking with older procs(my 1800+ worked @ 10x210 1.75v)
Old 21st April, 2004, 05:05 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
my idle has hit 40c...should see a few more degrees fall off once it has been broken in right.
the moblie mod did not work...and yes i did do it right...i used a voltmeter to test the pins...it's weird as the tracses are WAY farther apart than any other proc i've seen
i almost joined a link to one of the risistors on top as there is only about 1.5millimeters beteween the trace and the resistor. i sold my other(old) proc so no i can't take pictures ( the proc walked out my door about 10 mins ago.)
i went to all the local stores and noone had any decent steppings, so i settled on this one which was cheap. i can't seem to find anything slower here....I've had better luck overclocking with older procs(my 1800+ worked @ 10x210 1.75v)
The CPU is hardlocked, so the bios will not be able to change multipliers.
The mobile mod is a bit of a misnomer... The CPU is still hw locked, but within windows, the CPU will accept powernow! instructions( via yes, nf2 no). Provided the mobo can handle powernow instructions, you can use software to change the multiplier up to the max multiplier for the CPU. To change the max multiplier, you have to trace mod the CPU some more. :0
Old 21st April, 2004, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveI
The CPU is hardlocked, so the bios will not be able to change multipliers.
The mobile mod is a bit of a misnomer... The CPU is still hw locked, but within windows, the CPU will accept powernow! instructions( via yes, nf2 no). Provided the mobo can handle powernow instructions, you can use software to change the multiplier up to the max multiplier for the CPU. To change the max multiplier, you have to trace mod the CPU some more. :0
ok
so what your saying is if i cut the traces to raise my maximun multiplier i can use modified powernow instructions?!
doesn't powernow deal with lowering of voltage with the multiplier for notebooks?
so i need to connect the traces to make it a MOBILE not a MP?
the chipset on this board is the km400a...not a kt so i am not too sure, but i know that this northbridge is in my buddies laptop...
shuttles use this chipset as well, and that was why i bought the board..i knew i could access the multipliers or fsb through windows cpufsb. Is there a newer program out that will let me do the powernow stuff without me modifying some software?
as far as i know ...moblie proc's are mp compatible...i connected the trace to make it mobile but not mp...(2nd L5 not first)
Old 21st April, 2004, 06:59 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Glad you found your culprit!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 23rd April, 2004, 06:19 AM

so i got it unlocked..if you want details check the thread i started..was weird.
Old 24th April, 2004, 07:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to scottman Send a message via MSN to scottman

what do i use to take the old stuff off
ATI HIS 9800 Pro IceQ BRAND NEW CARD REPLACED
120 gig Sata 80 gig ATA
Logitech Z5300
Housed in Thermaltake Xaser III 2000A
550 watt Antec True Control