AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd May, 2004, 04:35 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Cooling Pastes

Here is my project for this afternoon while the kids are sleeping:
Of the 5 pastes shown below, which provides the best cooling?
Attached Thumbnails
Cooling Pastes-image019.jpg  
Old 3rd May, 2004, 04:44 PM

The line up includes:
Artic Silver 5: overclocker's fav
Noname "Silver Grease": best performer for me in the past, better than AS5, which makes no sense, and hence this test.
Evercool from Thermal Corp. :don't remember where i got this one
"Vantec" thermal paste: came with a iceberq.
SIL MORE Taiwan silicone compound: generic plastic bag.
Artic silver is silver based, silver grease aluminium, and the other 3 are white, so i think they are all silicone. Artic silver is supposed to be the performer, but can it keep up?
all test temps will be taken with MBM5, SiSoft Sandra, and Easytune.
be back later with details.
Old 3rd May, 2004, 08:08 PM

so...i had the artic silver running already, but it had not gone through a full break-in period as recommended.
idle 51 full load 61
silver grease idle 55 full load 62
silicon(generic) 57 idle full load 64
evercool idle 57 full load 65
vantec idle 56 full load 64
re-applied artic silver 50 idle full load 61.
i used as little as possible in each application, and temps were taken while running prime 95 after 45 minutes for full load, and idle 10 minutes after boot
previously , when i first switched to artic silver 5, in a different board my temps read 34c and with artic silver 39..i was worried.. so i began trying different things...more...less..tinting the heatsink....the best results i got were using a credit card for application and firmly applying pressure while smearing it on. there were a few places less that a 10th of a millimeter square that had not AS5 on them. this lead to 38-37c idle and 41c underload @ stock speeds.
all current temps were with and overclocked cpu as in my sig. mobo @ load reads 34c, so i left the stock heatsink on the northbridge as is. On other boards i have been able to get lower temops than that using AS5, but 34 is ok for me.
conclusion...@ $25 for 3.5 grams that will proly do me for at least 30 procs works out to less than a buck an application..well worth the money if you build lots of systems, and justifiable if you only build one, but plan to overclock.
also worth mentioning is that the first few times i used the AS5 it was really thick, but on the last 3 or 4 times it has been alot runnier...maybe i need to let it sit with the cap down for a few days, and let the heavier particles get to the nozzle and try again.

Last edited by cadaveca; 3rd May, 2004 at 08:13 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd May, 2004, 08:52 PM
AOA Staff

I have noticed the 'tomato ketchup effect' with my AS3. Before using it, I just squeeze it out until the runny liquid is gone.
Old 3rd May, 2004, 09:20 PM

that's a good way to describe it. in the instructions online, they do say it may be nessecary to stir it if it has been sitting for a while. I know i had been, but the thought of trying to get it all back into the tube is just too much for me to handle. It may also explain why my temps are so high currently.
Old 3rd May, 2004, 10:45 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Can you give us some more details? What was your test setup? What was ambient during all of these tests? Did it vary any?

The world wants to know!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd May, 2004, 10:58 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Front Page! This is getting to be a habit with you! ":O}

http://www.aoaforums.com/
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 3rd May, 2004, 11:23 PM

lol thanks for the kudos, but because i have spent so much time doing real-life researching all of this stuff, someone else might as well benefit from it.
setup was as in my sig, and by the temperature guage on the wall it's 19c
vcore is varied between 1.8 and 1.77...a constant repeating cycle(i need a new psu)
lol gotta love my posting to frontpage ratio lol
Old 3rd May, 2004, 11:27 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Trust me, it's our pleasure! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 3rd May, 2004, 11:34 PM

now where's my funding!lol.
also to note is that the two tubes os "silicone" are quite obviously the sam stuff...with different labels. any difference between the silicones can be easily explained away with age and amt used, as even a smidge more and there will be a difference.
Old 4th May, 2004, 12:48 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Now where's my funding
Hey, I've been asking that for 2 1/2 years! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 4th May, 2004, 01:18 AM

lol. almost anything for a buck. free hardware would be cool too...Fragapolooza should take care of that i hope.
Old 4th May, 2004, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
I have noticed the 'tomato ketchup effect' with my AS3. Before using it, I just squeeze it out until the runny liquid is gone.
is it not some oil or something to keep the paste fluid?
Old 4th May, 2004, 08:36 PM

yes it is an oil...the oil that suspends the particles..the oil that is suppsed to evaporate over the break-in period and help"flaot" the patrilces into the imperfections between the 2 surfaces.
Old 6th May, 2004, 01:27 AM

No test comparison with Ceramique? This compound is boss.
eVGA 6800GT
Antec 430 TruePower
1-WD800JB PATA
2-WD800JD SATA
Yadda, yadda, yadda
Old 6th May, 2004, 01:49 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I'm sure cadaveca would do the test if you wanted to send him some.......

BTW, Welcome to the forums!
Old 6th May, 2004, 04:26 AM

lol no doubt...kids gotta eat...lol...the coffee incident didn't help either
Old 12th May, 2004, 05:21 PM

so..a little update...
now that the artic silver has had a good chance to break in
idle temps are 49c and under load max 57c....good to see that there is less of a tempo difference..meaning that the paste is doing an effective job @ transferring heat.
i had to scrap measurements with any other tool besides easytune4, as they were way too inaccurate...mbm5 was 5c lower than easy tune, and rose only 5c under load and now only 3.. not accurate @ all. i found out today that my voltage reading are inaccurate as well, and have to do a bios update, and will post more accurate readings