AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th May, 2004, 08:35 PM

how should I arrange my side and top fans?

I have an X-Dreamer II case with a side and top fan. I just purchased 2 intakes for the front and 2 outakes for the back. the case came with the side fan as an intake and the top fan as an outake. However, my heatsink (volcano 12) is right in line with the side panel fan. should I change the side panel fan to outtake so that it and the heatsink are not blowing against eachother and change the top fan to an intake?
Old 24th May, 2004, 08:52 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Let me see if I understand what you are saying:

You have a case that currently has two fans: one in the side and one in the top. It has room for 4 more fans, two in front and two in back.

Is that right?

If that is the case, I think I might be inclined to simply remove the side fan altogether. Where do the front and back fans sit (high, low, middle)? Also, where is the PSU?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th May, 2004, 09:26 PM

Sorry for being unclear...the PSU sits on the top in the back with a fan on the bottom and a fan going out the back. I recently purchased 4 more fans...2 for the front as intake and 2 for the back as outtake. THe two intake in the front sit low and the two in the back for outtake sit high (right below psu. These are in addition to the two that already came with the case. the side fan is more towards the top and rear, i have an epox 8rda3+ and its directly inline with the heatsink. the top fan is for the most part in the very center on the top of the case. If I were to get rid of the side case fan, should i just diconnect it or take it out and block it off. If so, how would I go about doing that.
Old 24th May, 2004, 09:41 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

ET may have some recommendations on this (as well as some of the other members), but I'm thinking you would probably be best off removing both the side and top fans.

With your current situation, you will end up creating a huge amount of turbulence and really jacking with your internal case air flow.

Ideally, you want the air to cool as many components as possible before it exits the case. Your notion of reversing the side fan so it is exhausting instead of fight the HSF is good, but here's your problem:

You've got two fans at the bottom pulling in air, and you've got 3 fans in back, one in top, and one in the side removing air. You've got a huge pressure imbalance. Worse, my experience has been that the side fan when exhausting will tend to pull air from the front fan right down the side of the case and out the side. This is dandy for cooling the sheet metal on the side of the case, but doesn't do much for the components. Seeing as you can't make it an intake fan because it would be blowing right on the HSF and fighting with it, I'd suggest just removing it. Consider using it as the corner of a window cut out or something.

The top fan would seem to be overkill since the PSU is already up there. Worse, it will tend to rob the PSU of air flow that it needs to keep its internal components cool.

Does that help you?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th May, 2004, 10:25 PM
Member/Contributer

why not put them both blowing down over the heatsink from the side, fresh air right on the heatsink is good. Then the air would be warmed, along with the 2 intake fans, two out the back because its near the cpu and one on top out because of the air out the otherside of the cpu heatsink. Essentially ur just taking in 2 for the case in the front, 1 for the cpu on the side, and then venting it out all possible directions in the back and top(higher because heat rises).
Old 25th May, 2004, 12:22 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to RussianMissile1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeroHouR
why not put them both blowing down over the heatsink from the side, fresh air right on the heatsink is good. Then the air would be warmed, along with the 2 intake fans, two out the back because its near the cpu and one on top out because of the air out the otherside of the cpu heatsink. Essentially ur just taking in 2 for the case in the front, 1 for the cpu on the side, and then venting it out all possible directions in the back and top(higher because heat rises).
my brother has exactly that minus the top fan. it makes a huge difference cpu temperture wise, his XP2400+ @ 2.4GHz w/ SK-7 and smart fan 2 is only about 35C full load when running FAH.
Old 25th May, 2004, 02:22 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeroHouR
That could work, but I'd think he'd have to turn the HS fan around so that it blows into the HS, or else he'd end up with the two fans fighting each other. In any case, I think I would still ditch the top fan simply because you've already got two fans plus the PSU pulling air out. You need to leave some air for the PSU.
Old 25th May, 2004, 08:19 AM
Member/Contributer

yea i assumed he had it blowing down over the HS :-[ oops! I always thought down into it was the best, because ur pulling fresh air onto it, instead of trying to pump out the hot air and suck in cold. Yes he would have to turn it around for the setup I mentioned.
Old 25th May, 2004, 01:36 PM

The power supply fan inside the case (intake) is a 120 mm (i think, whichever comes with the antec true480) so I dont think it'll have too much of a problem fighting for air. I unplugged the side fan (still positioned as an intake) and noticed some things that were quit interesting... my cpu temp went up 2-3 degrees (celcius) idle, however, my case temp went down 3 degrees to 37 idle.

The cpu is running idle at 42 celcius and I think this is a problem because i'm not even overclocking yet. I live in Philadelphioa and the weather has been killer around here lately (90+ F with humidity) so that might be the cause. However, I think the greater cause is my shoddy job with the artic silver on the cpu. When i initially installed the heatsink I think I put the right amount on (very thing layer) but my cpu ended up not booting and it was some loose connection with the chip. I reinstalled the chip and didnt clean off the artic silver. I instead just put a tiny bit more on. Anyway...is using alcohol and cue-tips good enough to clean artic silver 5 off the chip so I can apply a fresh coat? Or do you think the high temp is only being caused by the hot weather (I DONT have A/C yet, so it can get kinda hot). Keep in mind this is a amd 3000+ barton w/ 400 fsb running stock with volcano 12+ going full speed (~5600 rpm).

I found it kind of strange to see the cpu temp jump up after disconnecting the side fan even tho the heatsink is blowing air away from the chip. Do you think its a good idea to switch the heatsink fan around to blow air onto the processor being fed by the side fan as an intake. It sounds like a good idea to me...but is it common to have heatsink fan blowing onto the processor like that? If not, why? Thanx for all the posts guys...
Old 25th May, 2004, 03:34 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

The volcano 12 (along with Alpha HSF) are non standar in that they suck (as opposed to blowing).

If your HSF blew down on top of the CPU then the side fan blowing in would be best, as it would feed the HSF fresh air. Intel is going to be adding something like a duct blowing fresh air to the HSF in it's spec for acceptible BTX cases.

But since you are sucking instead of blowing this goes right out the window (pun intended). I would try to make a duct that would fit almost over the CPU HSF to the hole in the window where the fan is now. Then set front and back fans to blow air in. This should cause a positve pressure case. Try it with the top fan first sucking out then blowing in and see what happens.

Good luck

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 25th May, 2004, 08:29 PM

wait....so ur saying to put 4 fans as intake?? and possibly 5? that sounds like too much positive pressure. I'll try it out but I dont think I'm gunna put the top fan as an intake, that seems like too much for only my heatsink and psu to suck out. and do you have any suggestions on what/how to make the duct (out of).
Old 26th May, 2004, 02:25 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Just anything handy to make a duct at first to see if it helps. If it does you can spend more time and money to make it look pretty.

I would guess that a 1 litter plastic water bottle would be about the right size. Attach it with masking tape. That way you won't leave a bad adheasive residue on the plexi glass.

It's always best to do a free or almost free mod to see if the theroy is sound. That way if it doesn't work like you wanted you have gain knowledge and all it cost you was time.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.