AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th May, 2004, 12:19 AM

need even better cooling

ok so maybe i am a little bit obsessed with temperatures but i am looking for a way of getting my system as cool as possible, atm i have asetek waterchill running on a 2100xp clocked at 2.413ghz running at 47 under load, now i was thinking of three different options and was wanderin if anyone could advise me.

1. simply buying another radiatior and pump and adding tubing (would this cool it more by a lot??)

2.getting a cpu peltier (but wont i need another psu to run it off?)

3.getting a minifridge and modding it to fit my radiator in (sounds like such fun but would i burn the motor out on fridge??)

thanx

-james
Old 25th May, 2004, 02:19 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

1. Getting another radiator in your system might buy you another 5 degrees or so. However, bear in mind that there is absolutely no way that you are going to get below ambient temp with straight water cooling, and you will (IMHO) be doing extremely well to get within 10 degrees of ambient.

2. A pelt will allow you to potentially get the temps on the CPU much lower, but it will also require a separate power supply, and will generate a TON more heat than what you have now.

3. A mini fridge will potentially allow you to get the temps on the CPU much lower, but will require some creative engineering to achieve maximum effect. It will also generate some additional waste heat (not as much as a pelt, though) that you will have to deal with somehow. Bear in mind that refrigerators are not designed for continuous duty applications, so that will limit what you can achieve. However, most mini fridges should be able to handle the heat load of a CPU (something on the order of about 300 BTU/H).
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th May, 2004, 03:10 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

I am not familiar with your water cooling system. If it doesn't already use a 300GPH pump, 1/2" I.D. tubing, or a good heat exchanger then upgrading will give you some improvements. But like Gizmo said, you will never get below ambient. Also, if your system is restrictive then adding a higher flow pump may actually increase your temps. Besides 47C while running F@H is a good temp for your overclock.

2. A TEC (or Pelt) will give you lower temps if done right. You will want a TEC with a cooling rating of double your CPU heat load. The most obvious choice is a 226w TEC. You will also need a cold plate, another PSU, and some form of condensation control. As far as the PSU goes, 226w is only what the TEC can pump. To pump that much heat it consumes 360w. That means that you are going to want a PSU that can output atleast 360w @ 15v. I am not fond of the ones that Danger Den or Swiftech sells. Plus with a TEC the cooler you keep the hot side the colder the cold side will be. So your water cooling set up would have to handle a heat load approaching 450w.

3. This would probibly be the least elegant solution but the easiest and cheaest to impliment. I would make a sugestion that I have seen others do. Instead of puting a radiator inside of the mini fridge, just build a resivour around the cooling element of the fridge itself. No radiator needed and better heat transfer.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th June, 2004, 01:00 AM

Yea - I like Staz plan of putting usieng the radeator. It will ge you direct transfer instad of the absense of heat going thrugh the insulation and then thrugh the air on to the radiator.