AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th January, 2002, 02:19 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz Send a message via AIM to Jazz

that makes it a bit more dificult.... let me do some figureing
"Folding protiens and taking names"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th January, 2002, 10:42 AM

I feel left out.... I never use filters and my comp has been running for atleast 4 months without a cleanout and it looks just as clean and tidy as the day i put it together (hardly any dust) Although i only have about 15cfm throught the entire system.....

My sisters comp (thats what she calls it,,,, I call it my server) has 2 delta68cfm 80s, one intake, one exhaust, and another on the cpu hs... Its been running for around 3 months and still no dust.
I wonder why? we dont have any animals in the house, but i still dont understand why there is so little dust in the atmosphere..

Dogs can never have too much fun! See Marge, Weee, weee, woo! wayhey! weeeeeeeee!!! -Homer
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th January, 2002, 11:53 AM

Send a message via ICQ to kplonk

You must be very clean how new is the room where the copm is located. I have no problem in my case, as all it has is one 80mm fan in the psu, my problem is with my rads any dust on the fins acts like an insulator and reduces my efficiency so I need to crack this on the new rig.
Old 26th January, 2002, 06:01 PM

House is about 70 years old..... the carpet is about 8 years old.... vacuumed once a week ish...

I wouldnt say its particurlarly clean, I'm a bit of a slob to be honest.. Im thinking it may be due to the cold damp climate round here?

Dogs can never have too much fun! See Marge, Weee, weee, woo! wayhey! weeeeeeeee!!! -Homer
Old 26th January, 2002, 09:12 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

I wish that the cold and damp climate of Seattle kept dust out of my boxes. This shouldn't be a dusty place, but it is. Granted, I'm not Johnny Homemaker, but we have a lot of dust. I dunno where it comes from, there are no alkali flats or dry lake beds within ~75 miles.

Perhaps the prevailing Westerly wind brings it in from Japan, China, or Mongolia?
Old 26th January, 2002, 09:46 PM

Yer some times it really makes you think, where can all this come from, but remember that a lot of it is dead bits of you
Old 26th January, 2002, 11:49 PM

I've just realised how to avoid intake filters altogether! seal your house up, and wear a plastic suit all the time.. GENIOUS! PURE GENIOUS!

Old 26th January, 2002, 11:59 PM

yer sweet, where can i read about how to do this
Old 27th January, 2002, 12:02 AM

I know, I'll make a tutorial for spodesabode, could be funny!
Now I;'ve finally picked my digicam back up from my grammas (although i did leave the Driver CD.. doh) I can actually do some content!!

Old 27th January, 2002, 12:13 AM

you could also put a positive pressure in the house to ensure that no dust can creep in any cracks that should appear.
Old 27th January, 2002, 12:15 AM

Hell yeah...
One problem tho.... U;d have to have an intake filter on yer house!

Old 27th January, 2002, 12:23 AM

Thought of that, I say you get a really long duct and run it to space, then add a supper powerful fan that can compress pure energy form outer space into matter that is 100% clean (whatever that means) and then pass it down the duct to pressure rise your house.
Old 27th January, 2002, 12:33 AM

Phew,,, its lucky that i have such the contraption in my bits box.. i think its called a "Delta38"??? I stopped using long ago when it tried to eat my finger

Old 29th January, 2002, 06:32 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

ya know I was toying with the idea of using an old Fabric sheet. ya know the kind that you use in the drier. It's thin enough and it will keep your case smelling nice and April fresh.

Or some scotch brite might work too. Not as thin.

Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 29th January, 2002, 07:05 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Ploaf Send a message via AIM to Ploaf Send a message via Yahoo to Ploaf

I'm just using a cheap fiberglass furnace filter that I cut to fit. It seems to do the job and hardly costs anything. It fits perfectly into the front of the antec sx1030
Old 29th January, 2002, 08:20 PM

Send a message via ICQ to SickBoy Send a message via AIM to SickBoy

I got those little black plastic thingys that sandwich a piece of foam and screw on to a 80MM fan. I've got one on my only fully exposed intake fan and it works pretty well.

If you get filters on your intakes and run a slightly positive case pressure you should never have to clean the inside of the box.

SB
Member #100

Abit KT7A-Raid----TBird 1 GHz@1333------Alpha PAL8045--------1.8v
MSI K7D Master---2x Duron 1.2@1320-----Glaciator II and SK6----1.75V
Asus A7N266-VM-----XP 1800+----SVC GC12----1.75V

"People want to know what I'm on. What am I on?!? I'm on my bike, six hours a day."

-Lance Armstrong, cancer survivor, father, and four-time Tour de France champion
Old 29th January, 2002, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SickBoy
I got those little black plastic thingys that sandwich a piece of foam and screw on to a 80MM fan. I've got one on my only fully exposed intake fan and it works pretty well.

If you get filters on your intakes and run a slightly positive case pressure you should never have to clean the inside of the box.

SB
I don’t see how this can be done, as there is dust in the air that the fans suck into the case to create the positive pressure in your case, did I miss the point??
Old 29th January, 2002, 11:00 PM
eobard

Quote:

SB
Quote:
Originally posted by kplonk

I don’t see how this can be done, as there is dust in the air that the fans suck into the case to create the positive pressure in your case, did I miss the point??
Quote:
...filters on your intakes...
Old 30th January, 2002, 02:47 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

If I remember correctly, ScotchBrite pads are Dr SurlyJoe tested and approved. Running a slight overpressure(more intake than exhaust cfm) might help keep the dust devils out of ye boxen.

The anti-static/Springtime Fresh sheets that are used in clothes driers work just fine. They should be used in a drier first. Unused ones are a little too "fresh." And probably make the intake fan work too hard, too. They filter out finer particles than used one's do, but PC fans are not designed to work under load.

The hassle with drier sheets is that they must be replaced after 6 days--your mileage may vary. Taping them in place is a bit of APITA. I ponied up the dough for the thin foam ones. Rinse, wait for them to dry, then replace. If you put them into a "sandwich" of paper towels and press them dry three times it doesn't take long before they're free of tiny water droplets. Or live dangerously.

The cut-up house VAC filters sound excellent. I'll try 'em sometime.
Old 30th January, 2002, 09:45 AM

We have "particular-ly" serious issues in our home. The cats and I like to drag crap in from the yard constantly. The birds fluff off their down plus a lot of super-fine talc-like dander. Daniel smokes so we ALWAYS have windows open and circulating fans running. The old forced-air furnace ducts haven't been cleaned in about 6 years, but I do keep little washable Scotch-Brite type filters in each floor vent and change out the big one often. We MAY get around to vacuuming, dusting and mopping once a month or so.

Our office is actually in a hall, open to the rest of the tiny house. My case HAS to sit on the floor next to the return air grate. Guess you could say that 'puter serves as a nice pre-filter for the furnace. It catches just about EVERY kind of thing!

As far as intake fan filters go, if something thin with with low resistance is required, various parts of pantyhose or tights work well. Available in many colors if appearance matters. Hit the 2nd hand shops for super bargains! If you're looking for something special, check out yardage at a big fabric/craft outlet.

If you have enough inside clearance or are mounting outside of the
case, an embroidery hoop can make a quick frame for stretching fabric. Most are about 1/2" thick, available in very small to very large sizes, round and oval. (Suggest plastic rather than metal or wooden ones for quickest wash and dry.) Again, check the 2nd hand shops, then the craft store if you must. Stretch your fabric, then trim or tuck and attach with Velcro spots or ?

BTW: Recycled dryer cloths & Scotch-Brite pads - !!! SCHMART!!!

patti ~