AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st January, 2002, 10:05 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Intake filters. Worth the trouble?

Is the slight extra expense and work needed to install filters on intake fans worthwhile?
Naah. I like a Sargasso Sea of waving brown webs of dust hanging from nearly everything in my box after six weeks! The creepiness factor alone is worth the five hours of painstaking cleaning.

Need I add the "not?"
Old 22nd January, 2002, 12:33 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz Send a message via AIM to Jazz

They are soooooooo worth the trouble. In the house i used to live in it was soo dusty that i had to almost blow out my computer every 2 weeks. Instead i just bought some filters and there went my dust. Just remembering to clean them out was the hard part
"Folding protiens and taking names"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd January, 2002, 01:44 AM
eobard

Before I put a filter on the intake duct for my Volcano 6cu+ I'd have to clean my sink every 2 weeks at the latest. My temps would go up 5c as the crap got caked in. Filters = good.
Old 22nd January, 2002, 02:01 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

And where can you get these so-called "Intake filters" for cheap.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd January, 2002, 02:25 AM
Member/Contributer

You could either make them out of fabric they sell at most major hardware stores. The fabric or filter material is called air conditioner filter mesh. It is usualy sold with air filters. That is the cheapest way to go. I think i bought a 3ft x 3ft square for like $1.65 at my local hardware store. You can use velcro or a adthesive to attach it. If you use velcro you can take it off and wash it with water and good as new. Or you can go to coolerguys.com and they sell the same but a more finished grill with the filter built in.
Old 22nd January, 2002, 02:56 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by Jazz
You could either make them out of fabric they sell at most major hardware stores. The fabric or filter material is called air conditioner filter mesh. It is usualy sold with air filters. That is the cheapest way to go. I think i bought a 3ft x 3ft square for like $1.65 at my local hardware store. You can use velcro or a adthesive to attach it. If you use velcro you can take it off and wash it with water and good as new. Or you can go to coolerguys.com and they sell the same but a more finished grill with the filter built in.
I'll go the cheap way Thanks! BTW, you have the same name as my new dog

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 22nd January, 2002, 03:51 AM
Member/Contributer

Np thanks i think.....
Old 22nd January, 2002, 04:13 AM
eobard

I went with air conditioner filter material myself. Good and cheap.
Old 22nd January, 2002, 06:23 PM

Send a message via ICQ to -oden- Send a message via AIM to -oden-

I've found that the long hair from my cat and the several fans in my case act as a team, creating some of the finest rugs this country has ever seen. OK, I need some filters too, hehe. Home Depot here I come!

Old 22nd January, 2002, 07:36 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by -oden-
I've found that the long hair from my cat and the several fans in my case act as a team, creating some of the finest rugs this country has ever seen. OK, I need some filters too, hehe. Home Depot here I come!
kruft is pretty interesting stuff, especially in smokers machines, it gets all sticky and srtingy, kinda like brown cotton candy :P
Old 22nd January, 2002, 07:58 PM

Quote:
kruft is pretty interesting stuff, especially in smokers machines, it gets all sticky and stringy, kinda like brown cotton candy :P
I didn't even know it had a name....kruft...I kinda like it. I've tought of selling off the wads of cat hair to the hair club for men. Think I could find a buyer?

Old 23rd January, 2002, 02:26 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Cat hair gets into everything. The ~$4.00 foam filters and the "frames" that hold them work well for me. Before being a big spender(lol)I found that the anti-static sheets that are thrown into clothes driers work well. Just make sure that they've been used once, or more times--and don't use them if they have slits in them. Simply use masking tape to hold them in place over an intake grille. Stretch them tight enough to assure that they won't be sucked into the fan.

I've found that I need to wash the thin foam filters every five days, rain or shine. The cheap-Charlie anti-static sheets had to be replaced every six days, max.
Old 23rd January, 2002, 04:49 AM

hmmm...dryer sheets huh? Does it make the case smell spring fresh too? I may just trade my cat for a new mobo anyway...he's kindo of a pain. Clawing up the furniture, eating all my goddamn puter wires...maybe I should set up a hot wire like in Christmas Vacation.

I'm not really wanting to hurt him, just stop chewing my damn wires!!!

Old 23rd January, 2002, 05:14 AM
AOA Staff

I just built my mom a "foxconn superfox" midtower that had a snap on thingy in the front to hold a dryer sheet! They call it something else, but thats what it is
Old 23rd January, 2002, 06:41 AM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by -oden-
I'm not really wanting to hurt him, just stop chewing my damn wires!!!
I think I understand your problem, you wish to change the animal so he will not affect your residence. You need to change your residence to accomodate your cat.
Old 24th January, 2002, 07:26 PM

Yeah, I've wrapped all the wires behind the desk, but there are always those few stragglers left out, like the cat5 cable, mouse and keys. He's getting better, but I have to lock him out of the room when I go to work...he likes to sleep on the keyboard or the monitor.....I think its just to pi$$ me off. All in all a good pet though, sleeps with me every night

Old 24th January, 2002, 10:17 PM
eobard

Unplug the keyboard when you're not home.
Old 26th January, 2002, 01:42 AM

Send a message via ICQ to kplonk

Any ideas what else could be used as a filter as i am having trouble finding air con filter paper. I was looking at cooker hood filters but they are too think, or does anyone know any distributor on the net??
Old 26th January, 2002, 01:58 AM
Member/Contributer

Err where are you from? its small i may be able to mail you some.
Old 26th January, 2002, 02:13 AM

Send a message via ICQ to kplonk

Am from the UK What sort of resestance does it add