AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th May, 2004, 06:01 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to RussianMissile1

Heatsink...

http://www.ocsystem.com/oczgolheatfo.html

how good would this be say with a stock case fan as the cooling fan?(if i were to OC (probably an 1800+))

what about with a 80mm--> 120mm adaptor and a vantec stealth?
Old 29th May, 2004, 06:06 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianMissile1
http://www.ocsystem.com/oczgolheatfo.html

how good would this be say with a stock case fan as the cooling fan?(if i were to OC (probably an 1800+))

what about with a 80mm--> 120mm adapter and a vantec stealth?
My experience with an all copper block is somewhat limited to an SK-6 I thought (and still do) think it was the bomb cooler. (it's now on my ex's mothers box) I modded it to hold an 80mm fan. I got tired of the 60mm whining all the time.

With that said, I NOW prefer to have a copper slug and aluminum fins. (well if I can't put it on water)
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th May, 2004, 06:23 PM
Member/Contributer

would there be any difference in OC potential between a copper block and an alum. block with a copper base?
Old 29th May, 2004, 07:54 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Depends on the design. Copper has about twice the heat conductivity of aluminum, but is condiserably more expensive. The ideal balance, then, is to design a block using a copper slug to get the heat off the core, while having sufficient surface area itself to efficiently transfer the heat to the aluminum fins. As long as those criteria are met, the Cu/Al block should perform as well as the solid Cu block, and be cheaper to make.

'Course, that is theory. Actual practice might be different. I'm not a metalurgist.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th May, 2004, 08:04 PM
Member/Contributer

actually, it does sort of giz, the ALX-800 i had on my old box was exactly that. Go look it up. the down fall was thermalright claimed to be able to machine the aluminum thin, just like the copper blocks, but here i sit alx 800 in one hand slk94u in the other and man theres a pretty noticeable differnce in the fin size. I think overclocked and 1.8 volts a the copper conductor aluminum dispersing alx-800 gave me ~45-52 tops under load with a vantec tornado on it.
back to the topic

that heatsink shouldn't perform as well as a thermalright(i would assume) and putting a bigger fan on it wouldn't really matter would it? wouldn't the increased airflow over the sink make more diffence(flow CFM not Size MM)?
Old 29th May, 2004, 08:10 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Their downfall their might actually have been making the aluminum fins too thin. The ability to conduct heat is also a function of the thickness of the metal. Since they were trying to conduct the heat up the fins, they would have needed to be somewhat thicker at the bottom than at the top, and would probably have had to be about twice the thickness of aluminum to achieve the same effect. 'Course, making the fins thicker also reduces the number of fins, which reduces the surface area, so now you have to make the whole sink bigger to get the same effective surface area, which makes it more expensive, which offsets the savings from using the Cu/Al construction to start with.....

I dunno. It's a complex problem.
Old 29th May, 2004, 09:21 PM
Member/Contributer

the alx-800 with a 50CFM fan on it is only enough to keep the 1800+ at about 45C idle, and about 60C load, but even then, the 50cfm fan was too loud.
Old 29th May, 2004, 10:35 PM
Member/Contributer

sorry i meant the downfall noticed was taht the fins were big and hence there was fewer of them which in turn made less surface area.
Old 29th May, 2004, 10:53 PM
Member/Contributer

i know, i also thought the fins were too thick.
Old 31st May, 2004, 08:09 AM

The ThermalRight ALX-800 with a mechatronics 53cfm 39db fan works well for me .
Another cooler that works great for me is the copper version of the little Dynatron , I put a faster 60mm fan or a 80mm with an adapter on them and they cool as good as anything for the price , has three prong grab for stability .

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...114-011&depa=0