AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd June, 2004, 04:38 PM

How do I hook the tornado fan up to manually control it?

I just purchased an SLK-947U and vantec tornado 92 mm fan to go with it. This is replacing my Volcano 12 which came with 2 fan controllers. Since the tornado is even louder than the Volcano 12 (didn't even think that was possible!) I want to have the speed controlled manually. Is there anyway, and if so how, I can use the Thermaltake manual speed control knobs with the tornado? If not, how else can I control it without having to buy a fan controller. Can/should I hook it up to the 3-pin motherboard connector and control it from there with my motherboard utility?
Old 2nd June, 2004, 05:22 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I wouldn't hook it to the mobo. That fan will pull about an amp, and the mobo fan controllers are designed for about 1/3 of that.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd June, 2004, 09:55 PM
Member/Contributer

I had one and My antec truepower 430 has a fan rail, if you plug it into the fan rail it will slow to a quiet rotation, I wasn't willing to leave it on there, it scared me it was so quiet when i turned it on! I wasn't sure if i wanted a tornado and not using it to its potential. You might be able to hook a rheostat to it? I'm not huge on electonics compents, but im pretty sure radio shack could give you one or ever tell you