AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd January, 2002, 10:31 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

Glaciator 2

hi guys, my Glaciator 2 is a little tarnished, anyone know how to take the fan out so i can give it a bath in phosphoric acid?

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th January, 2002, 08:59 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

A how-to(for the original MTS Glaciator) was on OCer's.com's front page. Trouble is, I dunno if it made it into the "Guides" section. You might use the "search" feature. If I remember right, the "funny" fan inside the Glaciator is epoxied into place.

I think it would be an excellent idea to have a new 33cfm 60mm fan handy if you try to remove the Glaciator's built-in fan. The spare fan needs to have a lot of its frame removed for proper use inside the Glaciator, too.
Old 24th January, 2002, 09:18 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I personally wouldn't try it. Between the epoxied fan, and splitting the 2 parts to the unit would scare me.

Good luck, and be careful.
Old 25th January, 2002, 06:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to fireball_87

yah, i have one, and it seems to be glued in there pretty solid. i wouldent try it.
512mb crucial pc 2100 ddr
sound blaster audigy
120gb 7200 rpm WD hard drive
40x12x40 cd burner
16x dvd
450wpsu
alienware style green case (:

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th January, 2002, 08:14 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

ok scrap that then

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 26th January, 2002, 08:51 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Just part-fill the acid bath so that it comes close to the top of the fins, but doesn't touch the fan mechanism. And lower it in gently. And leave it to dry for a few days. Um... that'd do it
Old 26th January, 2002, 11:11 PM

what about cleaning the top to be nice and shiny?

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 28th January, 2002, 10:25 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
what about cleaning the top to be nice and shiny?
Brasso?
Old 28th January, 2002, 02:18 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Ploaf Send a message via AIM to Ploaf Send a message via Yahoo to Ploaf

I've pulled the fans out of my glaciators. I just put a small screwdriver underneath and popped it off. The oldest one that I had was glued in. The other 2 were held on by a sticky pad. I applied a dab of liquid nails to the bottom of the fan that was glued in and reset it and let it dry. The others I just stuck back in, although the sticky pad strecthed a little and one has a little piece torn off, but they seem ok. They've been running that way for months.

Some acids can discolor the copper. It's probably easier to use a polish or ultrafine sandpaper.

Last edited by Ploaf; 28th January, 2002 at 02:21 PM.
Old 28th January, 2002, 08:13 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

People have recommended vinegar for removing oxidation from copper surfaces. Bought a bottle, but installed the Glaciator before lazying around to brightening the HSF. I never thought I'd install what seemed to me to be a better anchor for a small boat than a HSF!

The business end of the Glaciator(I have the original one) came protected against oxidation, with an oiled piece of plastic covering it.

I have no oil other than olive oil in the house. Does using this in place of a light machine oil seem OK?
Old 28th January, 2002, 10:44 PM

cloasters, it will be fine, as all u want it to do is seal the surface from air

phosphoric acid is what is used in the aero industry for cleaning copper, its same acid as in coca cola, try dropping a manky old copper coin in it for a few hours

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Old 30th January, 2002, 06:19 AM

I believe it's held in with double sided tape.. SHould be able to remove it, clean, and redo the tape..
Old 30th January, 2002, 11:36 AM

cool thanks guys! the PC is coming apart today for overhaul

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED