AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th January, 2002, 10:44 PM
eobard

Different fans, same temps

Here's one for you: With my Volcano 6 sink and the cu+ fan I get a SETI temp of 40c. With my Volcano 6 sink and my Volcano II's fan I still get a SETI temp of 40c. The cu+ fan is rated .41amps and has a cfm of 38, the Volcano II's fan is rated .17amps and has a cfm of 26. They are physically the same size and shape. How can I be getting the same temps?????
Old 24th January, 2002, 11:26 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Phiber Send a message via AIM to Phiber

because you are?
XP 1800+
[color]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th January, 2002, 04:02 AM

Firstly the in socket sensor is increadably inncaurate.

I can drop my CPU temp at load from 43 to 33 by fitting a 40mm fan blowing onto the edge of the CPU socket. I cant overclock any further (as you would expect), but the airflow over the diode makes the reading innacurate.

It might be that the lower CFM fan is causing a similar effect.

Im not particularly familiar with the volcano6 design it might be that there is too much back pressure created when using the higher CFM fan for it to make a tangable diference.

See if you can get a higher stable overclock with the more powerfull fan. If not use the quieter one.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th January, 2002, 04:13 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Holst
See if you can get a higher stable overclock with the more powerfull fan. If not use the quieter one.
I think that's a great idea... what's the point of the extra noise, if you don't get anything for it?

Just curious, does the idle temp match too?
Old 25th January, 2002, 04:19 AM

The answer may be simpler than all that. I don't know about SETI, but F@H may well use 100% of the cpu clock cycles but doesn't really stress the cpu. With my Glaciator II my temps on the 1.5 GHz rig hold at about 42C but go up to 47-48C when running Prime95 torture test. The same 1.5 with a ThermoEngine will stay at about 42C as well, but climb to the mid 50's while running the torture test. I beleive what I'm seeing is with 100% cpu usage about 42C is as cool as this will run using air-cooling. However, under extreme stress I can indeed see the difference between these two cooling solutions.
Mayhaps the 40c you are seeing is simply the coolest that can be acheived on that rig using air while at 100% usage under low stress. Do you find the temps hold at the same level if you really stress the cpu?? I'd personally be very interested in your results if you should choose to give this a shot.
Old 25th January, 2002, 04:21 AM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI

I think that's a great idea... what's the point of the extra noise, if you don't get anything for it?

Just curious, does the idle temp match too?
Idle matches. I won't get anymore overclock until I re-do my volt mod. I have the same clock ceiling now with the Volcano 6 sink and Volcano 2 fan as I had with the Volcano 6 sink and fan (both 6) and the Volcano 2 sink and fan (both 2). The only difference is temp. It would appear that the increased size and copper base of the Volcano 6 sink makes a difference but the more powerful fan does not.

***edit: I just read that and it seems a little confusing. Let me clarify. When I went from the aluminum Volcano II sink to the longer Volcano 6 sink with copper base my temps dropped but I could overclock no higher. The sink lowered temps but gave no better overclock. When I went back to the slower, quieter fan (but the same sink) my temps stayed the same.

Last edited by eobard; 25th January, 2002 at 04:24 AM.
Old 25th January, 2002, 04:30 AM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by LutaWicasa
The answer may be simpler than all that. I don't know about SETI, but F@H may well use 100% of the cpu clock cycles but doesn't really stress the cpu. With my Glaciator II my temps on the 1.5 GHz rig hold at about 42C but go up to 47-48C when running Prime95 torture test. The same 1.5 with a ThermoEngine will stay at about 42C as well, but climb to the mid 50's while running the torture test. I beleive what I'm seeing is with 100% cpu usage about 42C is as cool as this will run using air-cooling. However, under extreme stress I can indeed see the difference between these two cooling solutions.
Mayhaps the 40c you are seeing is simply the coolest that can be acheived on that rig using air while at 100% usage under low stress. Do you find the temps hold at the same level if you really stress the cpu?? I'd personally be very interested in your results if you should choose to give this a shot.
I wanted to check it out a bit when I changed fans so I ran SANDRA burn-in for 10 minutes and my temp only went up 2c or 3c. I can't remember what SANDRA temps I got with the stronger fan but 2c or 3c shows that SETI is close to the stress limit and I wouldn't expect it's numbers to be too innacurate from a comparison stand point.
Old 25th January, 2002, 04:32 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I'm not at all familiar with the design of the Volcano HS. The idea that extra CFMs going through it do not improve thermal dissipation is hard to believe, but not impossible.

I didn't realize that Prime95 heated the CPU so much more... hmm, maybe over the weekend I'll give that a shot. I gotta head over to our download section to see if we have it.

I agree that the thermal sensor under the socket is notorious for bogus readings. But they were meant to read deltas. I could see this happening with different HS designs causing different airflow but with the same hs it seems odd... Maybe the CFMs aren't as different as advertised.

Edit: hey, we have it. I'll run Prime later when I have a chance to piddle with it and see what the diff in temp is.

Last edited by SteveI; 25th January, 2002 at 04:34 AM.
Old 25th January, 2002, 04:42 AM
eobard

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI
Edit: hey, we have it. I'll run Prime later when I have a chance to piddle with it and see what the diff in temp is.
Yeah I'll put the delta clone back on and check it's number under SANDRA to compare at some point in the next day or two and let you know what I get. Maybe the 6cu+ is nothing more than a loud indulgence. As I understand it the 6cu Is pretty much what I'm running now (the 6cu and 6cu+ sinks are identical with a slower fan on the non "+") and it's 1/3rd cheaper than the 6cu+. Maybe a lot of people are wasting $10 and going deaf for the priviledge.
Old 25th January, 2002, 12:27 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Now that you mention it, I had a little experience with WBK's from globalwin. I installed a WBK68 (quiet) into a friend's 1gig Athlon, and it was fine, non-overclocked. When I o/c'ed it the temps hit the mid 50c's a little too easily, so I clocked it back down... My friend's old machine was a P200, so he wasn't missing anything. I got myself a WBK38 (delta screamer) and used it on my o/c'd system for a while. The temps were fine, but I couldn't take the noise. I tried to rig up a quieter fan, but in the end, I gave up and got myself a glaciator. Now, I have the WBK38 in pieces lying around. Sooner or later, I'm doing a voltmod on it and I'll see if it it worth putting it back to use somewhere.

The difference is the HS. The WBK is a fairly large sink that definitely gets a major benefit from the extra CFMs, AFAIK.
Old 26th January, 2002, 10:22 AM
eobard

Well after some more involved testing there would seem to be a 1c-3c difference. The full details will be forthcoming soon as to what I did to test.