AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th July, 2004, 06:22 PM

I know nothing about water cooling so am all ears. My thinking was that the slot design would speed up the water slightly but with the angled inlet and outlet the flow wouldnt be hindered in any way. Do you think that the flow would be better directed at less of an angle even though it wouldnt have such a clear exit path??
It will be fairly easy to machine the block but will have to come up with a clamping design first, thinking along the lines of the Wet and Chilly Chips CPU design for that but will have to ask Carl (Mr WACC) to see if he has any objections first.
Hood
Cooled by Vapochill
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th July, 2004, 09:20 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

For your first pass, you could do basically what I did; use a strap of iron, drill some holes, and use some all-thread. Getting the right amount of pressure evenly applied isn't nearly as critical with a direct-die block because you aren't putting pressure on the core. In point of fact, you actually need a fair bit more mounting pressure with a direct-die block because of the fact that you are trying to keep the water from leaking out.

I'm not certain this particular design will speed up the flow, because you have a radical change in direction involved. However, I don't know much about fluid dynamics, so I could be (and probably am) wrong. The reason the angled inlet concerns me is because of the fact that it appears to have the effect of increasing the surface area of the jet as it enters the cavity, thus defeating the purpose of using the slot to start with. However, again I am limited by my lack of understanding of fluid dynamics; I'm just working on gut instinct.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th July, 2004, 11:28 PM

Well I know even less than you so will take onboard your thinking. Wont be able to do this for a while anyway as funds are low due to me becoming self employed, engineering stuff isnt cheap
Might make a two part block up, one with the main water channels and then the lower part could be made up with different designs and bolted to it.
Wil have to put on my thinking hat, so any more thoughts from you or anyone else are most welcome.
Hood
Cooled by Vapochill
Old 19th July, 2004, 01:29 PM

Hi HOOD, had to register so as I can keep up with the latest on your direct die project

Got a few ideas on making a die with inserts but it is too complicated to explain here Also have some ideas about sealing, will get in touch by phone tonight to discuss

|[GA-7NNXP]or[NF7-S 2.0]|PR3ACH3RF15BETA/D18_04(ThankYouPR3ACH3R)|
|[Mobile]XP2500+|12x228@2745MHz|TwinMos2x256MB PC3700 11-2-3-2|
|Wet&ChillyChips(WACC) watercooled CPU & NB|
|HOOD manufacturing watercooled MOSFETS & SB|
Old 19th July, 2004, 10:05 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Guys as much as I'm enjoying this , I feel it's my duty to remind you to patent before you post!

Gizmo just ask Surlyjoe about his beehive waterblock.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 20th July, 2004, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
Guys as much as I'm enjoying this , I feel it's my duty to remind you to patent before you post!
Would that not cost money?? I dont have any

Hood
Cooled by Vapochill
Old 20th July, 2004, 09:59 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I really don't know. But I think it's pretty cheap. Worth looking into when your exploring new methods and ideas...yes?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 20th July, 2004, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
I really don't know. But I think it's pretty cheap. Worth looking into when your exploring new methods and ideas...yes?
Will have to do a search and see if I can come up with something. Have decided on a different approach, gonna use a similar idea to the hold down i made for my Vapo. I will then be able to fix that permenantly to my board and be able to slot in different centres, leaving the CPU etc undisturbed. Sort quick release cartridge idea LOL
Hood
Cooled by Vapochill
Old 20th July, 2004, 10:11 PM

Look what I just found, seems it may be as easy as saying its copyrighted.
" What is Copyright?

Before you go any further you need to know that there is no official register for copyright. It is an unregistered right (unlike patents, registered designs or trade marks). So, there is no official action to take, (no application to make, forms to fill in or fees to pay). Copyright comes into effect immediately, as soon as something that can be protected is created and "fixed" in some way, eg on paper, on film, via sound recording, as an electronic record on the internet, etc.

It is a good idea for you to mark your copyright work with the copyright symbol © followed by your name and the date, to warn others against copying it, but it is not legally necessary in the UK."
Cooled by Vapochill
Old 20th July, 2004, 10:11 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Take pictures! (once your protected of course!":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 20th July, 2004, 10:32 PM

HERE'S some drawings of the main block, its just a modified version of the block I made for my Vapo.
Hood
Cooled by Vapochill