AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 25th September, 2004, 07:18 AM
Member/Contributer

why do you think it might short it out? As temp decreases resistance decreases too? Would that be why? I dont think that the board can drop far enough to make connections that shouldn't be...at least i dont think so...
Old 25th September, 2004, 01:50 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via MSN to alexkerhead

ok, is it hard for you guys to understand this, water comes off the "jerry rigged" cooling system, falls onto something with two exposed terminals etc....yada yada yada.
What happens when water lands there, it might cause a temperary circuit, and short something, or cause the computer to restart.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th September, 2004, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkerhead
ok, is it hard for you guys to understand this
??

maybe you haven't paid attention looking at the pics and jumping into conclusion too easily.
ATi X1950XTX 512 CrossFire
Triple WD Raptor 10k HDDs@ raid 0
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PHD7UY
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PH9UK
BetterCable SilverSerpent SVGA & DVI-D
Sony BWU-100A Blu-Ray PC Drive

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
conroe - superPi - 14 sec.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th September, 2004, 03:00 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever
??

maybe you haven't paid attention looking at the pics and jumping into conclusion too easily.
I saw thawing water all over the video card..

AOA Team fah
Old 25th September, 2004, 03:43 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
ok, is it hard for you guys to understand this, water comes off the "jerry rigged" cooling system, falls onto something with two exposed terminals etc.
Amazing as it might seem, pure water does not conduct electricity. Ice also conducts electricity remarkably badly. The board's also mounted upside down, as it is in the pictures, so runoff should fall downwards, away from the system.

My personal concern would be for the health of the electolytic capacitors, which tend to lose capacitance when the water based electrolyte inside freezes.
Old 25th September, 2004, 04:00 PM
Member/Contributer

Well, I just did a test, I poured water all over the mobo of a 486, and it stopped working, oh well, i guess he has been careful where the water is going..

AOA Team fah
Old 25th September, 2004, 04:03 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Well, I just did a test, I poured water all over the mobo of a 486
Pure water or tap water? I actually checked the conductivity of ice in my freezer, but I don't have any pure water to test.
Old 25th September, 2004, 04:14 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
Pure water or tap water? I actually checked the conductivity of ice in my freezer, but I don't have any pure water to test.
regular jugged distilled water..had been opened before..
All I am trying to do, is keep hmi from having a headache fixing stuff, I know water has low conductivity, but that was not in my point, water, in most cases, conducts a certain level of electricity, cant deny that..
I may have been looking out for him too much..lol...but I tend to worry about stuff I am not supposed to, I just got a bit miffed at seeing ice all over the place, blocking the fan and engulfing wires..lol...little bothersome.

AOA Team fah
Old 25th September, 2004, 05:07 PM

Quote:
I saw thawing water all over the video card..
water?.. where?

there is no water on the video card. The system is set upside down and is still protected from condensation. Didn't Aedan say this too though? How can water drip side ways. It would have to drip side ways to get it on my video card. How is this possible.. maybe on moon but not on earth.

Another thing is, that video card you see in that pic is fully protected. Entire PCB is protected with layers of anti-corrosion/condensation coating, and the back of the card is covered with some silicon(which looks ugly but sure is damn effective). That card went through lots of condensation. Freezing water w/ 226w tec cooled and the entire card was covered with frost. Why doesn't my card die? because I know what i'm doing with it.

Quote:
regular jugged distilled water..had been opened before..
All I am trying to do, is keep hmi from having a headache fixing stuff,
i.. don't... think you have to worry about that.
ATi X1950XTX 512 CrossFire
Triple WD Raptor 10k HDDs@ raid 0
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PHD7UY
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PH9UK
BetterCable SilverSerpent SVGA & DVI-D
Sony BWU-100A Blu-Ray PC Drive

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
conroe - superPi - 14 sec.

Last edited by whatever; 25th September, 2004 at 06:03 PM.
Old 25th September, 2004, 09:09 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

You may wish to shut it down and let it defrost abit though it is getting rather large. I bet your room is nice a dehumidified with a thing like that running
All that frost is water vapour frozen out of thin air

That is a rather cool setup you have there (pun intendid).
There is a slight difference between pouring water over a mobo and accumilation of water vapour. If you stick that mobo in an airing cupboard for around 48-72 hours, it may stand a chance of working again unless there was hisses / bangs etc.

How much dust was there on the mobo, as H20 does not conduct at all its the impurities in it that does. If you can keep them apart you'll be fine, ie by dielectric grease
Old 25th September, 2004, 11:04 PM
Member/Contributer

he must be cold at night..lol

AOA Team fah