AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th January, 2002, 02:16 AM

Question 51c is this too hot???

Hello everyone. I'm glad I found this forum, its very informative and contains very useful information about my epox 8kha+ mobo.
I'm very happy with my motherboard but i do have a question.

These are my current specs..

AMD XP 1800 @1533mhz default.
EPOX 8KHA+ bios 1/08/2002
512 mb pc2100 ddr ram

I have a cooler master 6I31 A heatsink with fan.
According to my mobos temp
my cpu runs @ 51c
my system temp is 89f
room temp is 66f

I was wondering if my cpu is too hot?
My system seems to run fine but I'm a bit worried about these temps, especially when I see other users with my same processor posting temps of 38c 40c

I'm thinking about getting a Dynatron DC1206 BM-L

Thanks for any replies.
Old 26th January, 2002, 04:16 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

If that's idle, that's a little high.
If that's under load, it's acceptable. I have yet to see a coolermaster do a good job. The only one I've seen came from a friend's system, and it was no better than the retail HSF. (I don't remember the model.)

You have a cool room temp, and your system temp seems high. Are you using any case fans? A 23 degree F difference gives you a lot of room to work with. Getting better airflow through your case will go a long way to getting your CPU temps down as well. Minimum, you should have 1 fan in and 1 fan blowing out.

BTW, getting a good HSF may help a little, but if the inside of the case is hot, the HSF potential cooling is not going to be good.
Old 26th January, 2002, 04:42 AM

Yeah I have an extra fan blowing the air outta my case and I also have a fan in the front blowing air in. The tower is roomy so air definetly travels.

I also have an Antec p403x 400w power supply.

I knew these temps were high, especially when I'm just browsing the net.

When I'm playing a game such as Quake 3 my cpu temp go as high as 54c. That's when I restart my cpu and look at the bios temps.

Can anyone recommend a good heatsink? Cause the one I have sucks!!

P.S. I'm also in Turbo mode but I'm not overclocking.
Old 26th January, 2002, 04:58 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

First, is the full tower you are using the Antec SX1040 or SX840?
Is the "system temp" you read the chipset temp or the case temp?

The reason I ask is I have the Antec 1030, same basic design, and with 2 fans front and 2 in back, my case temp is basically room temp+1. The bottom line is if the 89F you mention is the case temp, you have to get that to drop before you replace the HSF. With that in mind, I use a the original Millenium Glaciator. It's heavy as heck, but it is very quiet for a performance HSF, and only 20 the last time I checked. I think they ship out of CT, and every time I ordered (ground), I got it the next day (NJ).

My overclocked system (XP1600+@1542) runs stock voltage so it should be pretty close to your stock XP in terms of heat generation. My case temp at the moment is 27c w/ the CPU at 42c. I fold 24/7 so it is always @100% CPU load.

BTW, sounds like you are checking your temps in the BIOS. Try downloading motherboard monitor. It allows you to view your temps, voltage, and other pc health numbers w/i windows. You can get it at our download page. This will give you readings on the fly. Remember, in the time you reboot your pc, the temp could drop a few degrees.

You can set up the dashboard to look like this:
Attached Images

Old 26th January, 2002, 05:19 AM

Thanks for your help..

The case I'm using is a generic compusa brand case.
It has 4 bay ports to install up to 4 drives.

according to my bios temps, 89f/32c is indeed the case temp.

My cpu temp is 51c and I'm guessing its even higher when using windows xp.

I pretty much have my pc on all day because I stay entertained with my All In Wonder Radeon card and do other stuff like surfing the net, ripping movies and backing up my games.

Do you have a website where I can purchase this HSF?

I've tried installing motherboard monitor before but for some reason I can't seem to set it up properly?
Is there a tutorial on how to set it up or something?
Old 26th January, 2002, 05:29 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

http://www.millennium-thermal.com/start.htm

Don't go for the G-Lite, it works fine for lower end system but I would not recommend it for a high end Athlon. (It keeps my bro's duron o/c'd to 994 at about 48c under load.) I really can't help too much with MBM. It was hit and miss for me, until I got it set up... one input at a time. There is some help available if you go to settings and press the "?" in the corner.

Edit: I just thought of a test you could try. once you have MBM set up. keep an eye on the temps for a while. Then, remove the side panel to the case. Run the computer for a day or so checking the temps once in a while. Your case temp should drop to almost room temp, and you should see a corresponding temp in CPU temp. Sorry, I can't convert celcius and farenheit in my head. But you really can't expect even a good HSF to have a delta of less than 15-20c under load... If your case is 30c, you CPU at best will be 45-50c. 89F is NOT good airflow in the case. If you can't get it lower closed, how about running the computer with the side panel off?

Last edited by SteveI; 26th January, 2002 at 05:37 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th January, 2002, 06:03 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz Send a message via AIM to Jazz

Humm swiftech for a better cooler and get a mcx462 and your temps will drop considerably, I did and i will never go back to stock coolers.
"Folding protiens and taking names"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th January, 2002, 07:44 AM

Thanks SteveI for your help.

I managed to configue motherboard monitor, this time I read the manual and finally configured it right.

As of right now my cpu temp ranges from 50c - 51c
My system temp is 35c

I'm not happy with my cpu temp and will indeed be purchasing a new heatsink.
Thanks Jazz for your reply about the swiftech. I read some reviews on the HSF and they look great.
The only thing I don't like is the price $71.99 according to http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/
But it does look like a great heatsink.

I also hear Dynatron makes some pretty good HSF and I'm looking to spend no more than $50.

Thanks Guys for your help!!
Old 26th January, 2002, 07:50 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by Solosmooth

I managed to configue motherboard monitor, this time I read the manual and finally configured it right.

My system temp is 35c

I'm not happy with my cpu temp and will indeed be purchasing a new heatsink.
Thanks Jazz for your reply about the swiftech. I read some reviews on the HSF and they look great.
The only thing I don't like is the price $71.99 according to http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/
But it does look like a great heatsink.

I also hear Dynatron makes some pretty good HSF and I'm looking to spend no more than $50.

Thanks Guys for your help!!
The Glaciator II by Millenium Tech is very good, as well as the Thermalright SK-6 if you don't mind a bit of noise.

EDIT: Both under $40.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 26th January, 2002, 02:12 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz Send a message via AIM to Jazz

If price is a major factor there is also the mcx370, a bit smaller than the 462 but comprable. Coolerguys have it for about 59 right now. Btw i am a swiftech die hard.

correction they have the kit for 39 right now and the original 462 for 59
"Folding protiens and taking names"
Old 26th January, 2002, 02:54 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:

My system temp is 35c

Your welcome... but I am concerned that you may be missing a very important step. For an XP processor, there is no air cooling in the world that will get you into the 30's. If the inside of the case is 35c, good air cooling will get your temp down into the high 40's. You have to increase your cooling potential, by getting the case temp lower.

My case temp is usually about 26-27c.... Often it is the key to cooler CPUs.
Old 26th January, 2002, 04:01 PM

I might have to get a better intake and exhaust fans. They're running at 2445 rpms. I will try to find some better exhaust fans. those last reading was with my case open and now that I've closed the case, my system case readings declined to 30c - 31 c
room temp is about 71 f

I'm gonna have to check the coolerguys website.
$59 is more like it.

Old 29th January, 2002, 06:43 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

COUGH**SK6**COUGH**

I swear by it. But I don't have my system running at your speed. I only got mine running at 1.133 Gighz. As far as noise goes. You can try this. It seemed to work out great for me.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
51c is this too hot???-cpu-fan.jpg  
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 29th January, 2002, 08:15 AM

Update:

Today, I decided to take apart my computer and reinstall my heatsink. I cleaned all that dirt and reapplied my heatsink.

Success!!
My temps have decreased!!
Something was wrong with the way the heatsink was attached and I re attached it. Lucky my cpu is still alive.

Hey Robbie how much heat are you getting using that heatsink?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg temp.jpg (126.2 KB, 185 views)

Last edited by Solosmooth; 29th January, 2002 at 08:17 AM.
Old 29th January, 2002, 08:37 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

well I just started to FOLD, so that's running right NOW. Let me check the temps, 43c and yes it's overclocked.

Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 29th January, 2002, 10:17 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Update:

Today, I decided to take apart my computer and reinstall my heatsink. I cleaned all that dirt and reapplied my heatsink.

Success!!
My temps have decreased!!
Something was wrong with the way the heatsink was attached and I re attached it. Lucky my cpu is still alive.

Hey Robbie how much heat are you getting using that heatsink?
Much better.... now you're looking .
Even some room to oc.