AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd July, 2004, 06:41 AM

new fangled thing!!!

hi everyone!!!
i had an idea tonight at work and i need some input to see if its even remotly posable(sorry for the spelling) it seems that phaze change cooling while giving great results is a nightmare to gaurd against condensation...right????
well my idea is to fabricate a 3 foot long extension cable for my athlon xp cpu and put it in a insulated box with a peltier cooler. i figuer i could get it as cold as i wanted or as cold as possabe with no condensation to mess up the motherboard! i know this is a massive undertaking but why not?? iwould only need a doner motherboard socket i have one somewhere and a ton of low resistance wire the hard part will be running the wire one strand at a time from the cpu to the motherboard socket , after thats done i can wrap them all up nice and clean looking and ta-da !!! ...... hopefully i dont see smoke lol!!
now can any of the more techno minded out there enlighten me to the problems i dont see but will encounter??? i am open to any and all advice. i know i am facing a long and difficult project and hopefully you good folks can shorten my journey once again sorry for my bad spelling.
thanks
brian770 lief@centurytel.net
Old 23rd July, 2004, 07:05 AM

Well I am on a par with you in my electrical knowledge so can’t say whether it would work or not, sounds feasible though. A few things that spring to mind could be the length may cause a prob due to the extra time it takes for the signals to travel, also there would be an increased risk of interference so possibly each cable would have to be shielded. One other thing is you will still have to insulate your CPU/socket properly as condensation on it would lead to problems. If you could get the CPU in an airtight box and was able to get all the air sucked out thus creating a vacuum then you wouldn’t have to worry about insulation (well don’t think so)
I am probably wrong on all counts so better wait for someone with more knowledge to advise.
Hood
Cooled by Vapochill
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd July, 2004, 07:18 AM

good idea!!!

hi!
i like your idea of the airtight box,might be a humdinger to do but its possable.also, i was thinking of using dielectric grease on the cpu.it dosent conduct electrisity! we use it on the ships all the time for our automation controles that tend to get wet all the time like deck winches.that would eliminate the condensation consern for the conection to the cpu at least i belive it would. thanks for your intrest thou! i will be starting this project on or around aug.10th and will take many photoes of it as i progress. and will document everything. i only wish some company made the cpu extention cable!
thanks,
brian770
Old 23rd July, 2004, 07:26 AM

Yes the grease will work well. I use it in the socket for my Vapo and never have proplems if its applied properly. This would be awsome if it worked and I look forward to any future developments.
Hood
Cooled by Vapochill
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd July, 2004, 07:31 AM

thanks!

thankyou hood for your words of encouragement!!!
i will try to keep you all posted.
brian770
Old 23rd July, 2004, 07:40 AM

Dont think it will work. The length of the track on the mobo from the memory to the controllers is critical I would think the same would apply to the CPU.
Old 23rd July, 2004, 07:47 AM

drat

drat,drat*@%@$)@(%* and darn!!!!
dose anybody know if that is in fact the case????
thanks BOD for that bit of info it just might save me alot of work, or i might just try it anyhow(lot of time on my hands...lol)
brian770
Old 23rd July, 2004, 08:57 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

You'll affect the flight times of various signals, as the longer the wire, the longer a signal takes to travel down it. The likelihood is that you'll cause yourself all sorts of problems, and will be forced to run the CPU at a much lower speed!

A better idea might be to apply the phase change just to the CPU die and insulate around the die well. Then you can place a small heating element around the edge of the CPU to prevent condensation from forming inside or under the socket. Asetek (and a large number of refrigerator manufacturers) already do this!

Alternatively, you could just do as others have suggested and coat the socket in grease instead.
Old 23rd July, 2004, 10:53 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
You'll affect the flight times of various signals, as the longer the wire, the longer a signal takes to travel down it. The likelihood is that you'll cause yourself all sorts of problems, and will be forced to run the CPU at a much lower speed!
You also get some Really Interesting Effects when you try to run a signal down a wire that undergos a sudden change in temperature
Old 23rd July, 2004, 01:01 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

You get enough Annoying Effects when you change the impedence of a signal path part the way through. Sockets are bad enough on their own!
Old 23rd July, 2004, 05:05 PM

thanks anyhow

oh well , thats why i asked for help. i guess i will try the grease covered cpu trick instead. i thank you all for your knowledge and direction.
untill my next brainstorm comes along see ya!!!
thanks,
brian770
Old 23rd July, 2004, 09:40 PM

And with longer cables you loose signal intergity. Like if you make the hard drive cables just a few inches too long and you end up with problems all over the place.
Old 24th July, 2004, 07:25 AM
Member/Contributer

conductivity increases as temp drops, and conductence(?), I think, rises with thinner wire. Maybe its the other way around, whats important is that the wire width will effect the signal, and probebly SERIOUSLY degrade the performance. Just my guess tho.