AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 29th July, 2004, 07:47 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Gigabyte 3d Cooler Pro Review

A few weeks ago i got this cooler in the mail from my guy @ gigabyte. I had heard about the plans for the cooler way back in january, so i was quite interested in what this cooler could provide....
most of you know i like gigabyte...not because they are top overclockers, but because of the options and stability they offer. Plus their fancy blue pcb's....

so ...i didn't install it right away.. ihave plans for another machine, and this was meant to go in it, but because i recently added a new vid card that made all my temps increase, i figured i'd give it a try in this system.
specs are as follows (taken directly from gigabyte's site):

Heatsink Dimension 83 x 89 x 93mm
Rated Voltage 5~12V
Rated Current 0.5A
Fan Speed 2000~4000rpm
Noise 19.2~37.2dBA
Bearing Type 2 Ball bearing
Life Expectancy 70000Hr
Total Weight 430g
Application Intel® Pentium® 4 478 up to 3.4GHz and higher
AMD Athlon™ XP up to 3200+ and higher
AMD Athlon™ 64 up to 3400+ and higher

Package Contents GH-PCU21-VG Cooler
Heat sink paste Injector
Fan Speed Control and 3.5" Front Panel
PCI Rear Panel
Power Cable
Intel® Pentium® 4 Clips
AMD Athlon™ XP Clip
AMD Athlon™ 64 Clip
Screws
Attached Thumbnails
Gigabyte 3d Cooler Pro Review-photo_gh-pcu21-vg_big.jpg  
Old 29th July, 2004, 07:51 PM

you'll notice right away that gigabyte has stayed true to their colours...offering 4 blue led's on the top, mounted to a blue pcb. Alll wiring goes to this pcb @ the top of the cooler as well.
with the bottom copper plate are spaces for the three included clips; the orientation of the cooler in relation to the socket spins 90 degrees when going from socket a to p-4/a64. 59 aluminum fins are responsible for removing the heat from the 2 curved heatpipes that pass directly on the middle of the copper plate,overlapping.
Old 29th July, 2004, 08:10 PM

for testing puposes i used the pc in my sig, with voltage set @ 1.6(1.58 real)11x200(11x201 real)
mem @ 2.6v402mhz
everything the same otherwise.
comparisons are aginst a volcano 11 +

so..upon inital install my temps were the exact same as after the volcano 11+ has it's thermal paste broken in....55c idle 61-62 underload with the smartfan @ 4000rpm.gigabyte fan @ 4000rpm as well.
with the gigabyte cooler, the fan is of the barrel variety, so it draws air in the top and bottom...instead of just the top. this leads to less actual airflow...and way less noise. northbridge temps reported as 34c idle and 36 under load with the volcano11+. 32c with the 3d cooler pro...and once in a while, it'll jump to 33.
with the thermal paste broken in.. i get 49-50c idle and 54-55c full load after 2 hours. looks to me that the gigabyte cooler prevails.
one thing i must mention tho...i have 3 smartfans for intake...and one barrel fan @ the back that came with my butterfly psu, so i run positive pressure....seems to help me keep the dust out. with the volcano 11+ installed, i had to have most of my fans @ 3000 rpm..and the psu @ 3500...just to maintain those 55 idle temps. Now that i have the 3d cooler pro installed, however... i can get those 55 idle temps with all my fans @ the lowest setting..1100rpm for the smart fans and 850 for the psu....and the 3dcooler @ minimum as well. this bodes reall well for this cooler....i just eliminated all the noise coming from my pc....to the point that now the loudest thing is the dual fan heatsink on my vid card... and next week that cooler is gone to be replaced with a zalman dual heatpipe unit. Also, load temp with the fans @ max never exceed 58c....this means i only have a difference of 3 degrees from idle to load! i thought at first my monitoring software was whacked out...but mbm, easytune, sandra, my bios, and aida all report the same temps...so this must be accurate. normally i only rely on sandra as it polls the sensor afaik.
so....in conclusion..this cooler rocks...@ 40 it's cheaper than an sp97 and has a lower delta... without the noise. 10 out of 10 for me. waiting for the ultra version with copper fins to be released.
this cooler should be available to the public now, but I am not sure where.

Last edited by cadaveca; 30th July, 2004 at 07:11 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th July, 2004, 09:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to bypolar

I bought one of these Coolers When I had the A64 system. GA-K8NNXP socket 754.

This cooler is definitly a great Design, Light weight for it size and performs well.

I kept it after the sale of the socket 754 system and have since tried it on a couple of different socket A's

I had a little diffaculty mounting to the socket A platform. The 754 mounting was a breeze but the 462 gave me some challanges.

What did you think of the socket A mounting??
Old 30th July, 2004, 12:03 AM

462 was no prob in my board...
just aligned the hang-over lip to the end of the socket that has the little gold triangles in the chip.....
i was not sure it was gonna fit because of one of those copper coil thingies...but it seems as though it was made for all gigabyte boards...to the point that the long side that is used for p4/754 id trimmed just right so it misses both the northbridge fan and the capacitors @ the top end of the board.
not having to use a flat-head to attach the 'sink was a real plus too...i can't count the number of chips is crushed from pushing to hard, trying to get off the clip of a heatsink....the last cpu i had in here i chipped too...thank god it's more stable now(go figure!)
Old 30th July, 2004, 01:52 AM

yeah dude when i tried pulling off my stock hsf on my A64 it pulled the cpu right out. It cam out so easily i was like what the hell where is the damn chip. Then i was like omg my comuter has been running with no chip. Well it was stuck on the hsf. I bent 3 pins real bad and almost crapped myself. After sitting down for a bit to cool off after the bad news i pulled out a credit card to straiten the pins. The credit card fit perfectly in between the pins and was easy to fix (saved $280).
Asetek Waterchill Antartica
2x512 OCZ Platinum LL pc3200 @2.6v
2xSeagate 80 gig SATA raid-0
ATI 9800pro (460/800)
SB live 5.1 (old)
Pioneer 16x DL+DVD burner
Dell M992 19"crt 1600x1200 .24dp

Soon to be added

ATI x800XT-PE

Server
P4 1.6
Dell 4550
80gig IDE
512mb DDR PC-2100
Windows Server 2003 EE
[url=http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=45]
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th July, 2004, 02:49 AM

i should also say sometyhing about the wiring....it's the only thing that stinks.....just because in my board that make the wire all hang on the bottom side oif the heatsink ...overhanging the northbridge and blocking airflow(lol,not really, but i can afford to be a little anal when everything else performs so ***m well).
the fanspeed control is a standard trimmer that attaches to the 3.5'' plate by means of a screw...the package label is kinda deceiving...leading me to belive that there were TWO controls, when in fact, if you plan on using the pci plate, you just simply install the trimmer with the screw it uses for the other plate.
power connections are through a standard floppy molex connector..which was a little strange...but thankfully there is an included adapter. The speed sensor line is a standard 3-pin fan connector, with the usual one yellow line.

NO...the lights do not flash...they just stay hard on. no off switch either. sent my feedback on that tho...maybe the ultra will include one.
Attached Thumbnails
Gigabyte 3d Cooler Pro Review-image-2907-200215-1-.jpg  
Old 30th July, 2004, 06:37 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Many thanks cadaveca!
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/index.php
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 30th July, 2004, 07:09 AM

NP....there will be a few more when i get the new thermaltake/zalman stuff in next week...they just became available in canada!
Old 30th July, 2004, 07:14 AM

i should also add that the stock amd 2600+ heatsink netted 63c idle and 70-72 full load.
Old 30th July, 2004, 07:33 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

I look forward to reading them! Not the best cooler then? ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 30th July, 2004, 07:39 AM

well, i like it...like i said no sp97...but nowhere near as noisy either. 63 idle @ stock settings to 51 idle overclocked (and silent)is enough for me....but then again...look at my choice of boards...
the thermaltake stuff is not heatsinks..you'll see next week.
Zalman sends a blue dual heatpipe vga cooler...supposed to be the 9800xt passive cooler...but we'll see. Fortunately i have this asus card with monitoring software, so i can even compare actual mem temp...and i did some research and there ARE temp sensors on each ram chip....my software reports the avg.