AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th August, 2004, 09:23 PM

Adventures with water...

A while ago i purchased the Asetek Antarctica for my computer(sig). Things did not start well as the Asetek page doesn't render in Firefox, so i had to use IE. I ordered through a place(Misrcorps) that was listed on the website because i could actually find the kit, many of the resellers didn't even have all of the parts to sell seperately. I ordered and wait...and wait...and wait. I email the customer service guy at Misrcorps.com and he responds that he will look into it. I am responded to the next day with a message saying that it was shipped 4 days ago, I have been waiting 10 days and it went UPS ground. Because of the slow shipping method I didn't espect to receive it for a long time but the part hat annoyed me was that I didn't even have a tracking number. I let him in on this important detail and he emails me tracking information immediately. "Great!" I think, "Now I will know where it is." Knowledge is a good thing especially when it involves your $280 Waterechilling system. When your system is somewhere in Washington when you live in California and it is on the 10th business day after it was shipped with the wrong shipping address, that is usually not a good thing. I contacted the sales people which it turns out are the customer service people and the shipping people and the management. This company is a one man gig but he has seperate email addresses for each department. He tells me that he will contact UPS to change the shipping address. A few hours later the tracking info shows that the zip code is incorrect and that they are trying to fix it. The next day it arrives in my town and sits at the distribution center waiting for the correct address to be sent to them which appearently will happen by them sending me a postcard. I don't know how you can send a postcard to a person telling them to correct their address if you don't know where they live. I decide that I am going to drive to the distro center and pick up the chiller myself. It turns out after all of the emails back and forth between me and Misrcorps.com they never where able to get UPS to change the address because they still had the wrong address when i picked it up. I looked at the box that it came in and it says FrozenCPU.com all over it. The packing slip inside had a purchase order from FrozenCPU.com in it.

Finally I had my waterchiller at home and was assembling it when i noticed that there wasn't an AGP waterblock but there were two CPU waterblocks. I emailed the guy at Misrcorps.com and asked him what was up. He got back to me the next day and it took us 2 days to arrange that i was going to ship the extra CPU block back to FrozenCPU and he was going to give me $5 for shipping. Then when I got the shipping # to this guy they would send me the AGP block USPS. I was not thrilled that it would be USPS because i would have no tracking # but at this point I was so desparate I would take anything.

It was 2 days later that the pump died again. It had died once before but i was able to make it go again and the solution made it seem like something just wasn't connected right. This time the pump was dead...dead dead. Some of the frustration in all of this is due to the fact that this kit was purchased after my girlfriend dumped me in a very brief and not nice manner. The kit was purchased so that I had something to do and so I would feel a sense of accomplishment. This was not happening. With the demise of the pump went some of my sanity. I was sane enough to understand that RMA-ing the pump would take forever and might not even happen but I had lost enough of my sanity to take a hacksaw to the $50 piece of equipment, not solely in anger but in an attempt to see a loose wire that could be fixed or something like that. It turns out that the pump is sealed and there was nothing I could do.

I shop around for a new pump and stumble onto the Mag 3. Everyone raves about this pump and I decide that I need something with a little more oomph because i have big plans for this cooling system that involve alot of tubing...like more than 6 feet of it. I buy the Mag 7 for a really cheap price but still more than I should have spent at the time. At the moment that it shipped i still had not recieved the AGP block that was 3 days late. I contacted more people about the AGP block and even though I had fixed my address 3 times it was still shipped to the wrong address. The area code was off by one number and they forgot to put East in front of the street name which then confused the post office and my $30 AGP block is somewhere in the postal system.

My Mag 7 arrives and it is a joyous occasion. I go to connect it up to my system and notice that the outgoing port is 3/4" when my tubing is 1/2"...not cool! There were 2 models one with 1/2" ports and one with 3/4" ports, there as obviously a mix up becuase I quadruple checked that I clicked to order the 1/2". I was unwilling to send it back and have my computer out of commision for another week so I decided i would make the pump work anyway. I made a pretty bad seal between the tubing and the outlet port using tape. You may say, "That is stupid. How did you come up with such an idiotic way to make it work obviously it will fail?" you must remeber that I had been without my computer for about 2 weeks at this point, i was delirious.

2 days ago my roomate said, "What the hell!?" There was water dripping from the ceiling into his bathroom appearently from the bathroom of our upstairs neighbors. I helped him move his computer out of the way of the water and investigated the sagging ceiling. He got on the phone with the landlord and just as he did i heard a hissing sound. I ran to my room and saw the seal on the pump break and spray water all over the insides of my computer. The computer had shut itself down, probably because of a short and i shutdown the pump shortly after. I started the process of drying things up before they dried on their own and left all sorts of fun things on the insides. I then took a friend home who was hanging out with us and on the way to his house realized just how bad things were going this summer from the appartment to the girlfriend to the brand new computer that hasn't stop giving me problems. I was really angry. I returned home and went to sleep. I got up the next day didn't go to work and created a new seal for the pump, a better one. The seal worked perfectly and everything was good except that i accidently dipped the VGA connector in water as I was reconnecting things, so i had to dry that before i could continue. Then after tweaking with the bios for a little bit the display starts putting up major artifacts like the AGP card is overheating. I shut down and decide I will deal with it later. 6 hours late I try to get the computer working and it will turn on but the monitor kicks itself out of sleep mode just long enough to say it will be going back to sleep in 5 seconds. I decided to go to sleep. I walked into my roomates room to say goodnight when I heard another reat sound. This time it wasn't hissing from a broken seal the pump had simply blown the tube right out of the outlet port and there was water flying onto the computer case. It didn't spray the inside because the pump was located behind the case for this very situation. I shut off the pump and decided to go to bed. I didn't fly into a rage soley because i had just gotten alot of closure from my ex-girlfriend and I was feeling really good.

Now that you have read through my wonderful tale i ask for advice. What could be causing the monitor to wake up only to tell me it is going back to sleep when i start it up? I haven't tried other monitors or vid cards yet because i haven't had time. Any suggestions.
Old 10th August, 2004, 09:23 PM

I shake my fist at water...
Old 10th August, 2004, 10:09 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Ensure that there's no water in the AGP slot for a start. As the pins in the slot are so close together, they can trap water very easily. Not only that, but as the AGP slot uses such low voltages, it doesn't take much to screw the signalling up on the AGP slot.

If the inside of your machine gets wet, you need to ensure that everything is well dried. A small amount of water can cause nasty corrosion and destroy connectors, especially if there's power applied to those connectors!
Old 10th August, 2004, 10:16 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I have had numerous misadventures with water, but I have never had it kill my system except when I had some copper filings in the water. However, as Áedán says, you have to be sure to get EVERYTHING dried out as quickly as possible. Although the water won't directly cause electrical problems (other than possibly some capacitance issues) it will sure as heck corrode anything it is in contact with for any significant period of time, and that WILL cause electrical problems.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th August, 2004, 10:25 PM

I've had issues with AGP in particular, as 1.5V signalling can easily be corrupted by a few drops of water in the wrong place.
Old 10th August, 2004, 10:29 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
I've had issues with AGP in particular, as 1.5V signalling can easily be corrupted by a few drops of water in the wrong place.
Yeah, that was what I meant. You don't get a hard short that blows things up, but the capacitive coupling between traces gets changed mightilly when there is water between them, especially high freq, low voltage stuff like AGP or memory signaling where you don't have a lot of noise margin to start with.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th August, 2004, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
Yeah, that was what I meant. You don't get a hard short that blows things up.
Unless you're unfortunately enough to spray the regulator sections with water... I hear that PS units can go bang nicely. Spraying your PSU with water is really asking for trouble though.
Old 11th August, 2004, 07:14 PM

I think that I might have crippled the PSU in some way. When the computer turned on but started throwing artifacts on the screen BIOS never detected my second hard drive. Then after i restarted the monitor wouldn't even turn on to tell me it was turning off until i moved the 9800's power connector from the line that the HDDs were on to unplugging my DVD-RW.

I just realized that this is in the totally wrong forum. I didnt' realize when i posted that i was in the AMD mobo forum I thought I was in cooling. If it is trouble I am sure someone will move it...