AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 8th September, 2004, 07:40 PM
AOA Staff (should be working)

Send a message via ICQ to dod Send a message via Yahoo to dod

Hydor L30 - hot?

Just wondering if anyone else is running one of these and can check how hot it is. Seems to be a LOT of heat coming off the casing which I'd assume is also feeding in to water temp
Old 8th September, 2004, 07:55 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

It's not unreasonable for a pump motor to run 70C or so. I don't know about the Hydor specifically, though.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th September, 2004, 08:18 PM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

He you could cook on my Hydor L20! I dont think its anything to worry about, if your worried though, go to the forums @ www.asetek.com and post your concerns. And if its faulty Asetek are great for after sales! My crack northbridge sympathy story made them send me a big bottle of water wetter and 3 meters of tubing!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th September, 2004, 10:10 PM
Member/Contributer

dod, yes the L30's get hot and I'd guess they add a fair bit of heat to the overall system. However they are fairly cheap,small, pretty quiet and powerfull so there is a trade off somewhere.

Razorfish, my L20 is dead cold and dead silent. Something must be up with yours if its hot.

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Old 8th September, 2004, 10:34 PM

I reckon its cause its not been switched off for like 2 days. Ive mentioned it on the asetek forum and every one says its normal... mines dead quite too!

Hey laz, just out of intrest.. being in the uk and all... you dont fancy a Hightech 9800pro ICEQ, 1 month old and its going for £125 including P&P
Old 8th September, 2004, 11:40 PM
Member/Contributer

Sorry mate, have no need for one. Put it on Ebay for a 3 day auction, you should get £125 easily. If you can get an OEM card for £120'ish then yours should get more.
Thanks for the offer though.

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Old 8th September, 2004, 11:54 PM

I dont know how to use ebay and ive always been very cautious about selling on there... just dont trust it.
Old 16th September, 2004, 01:54 AM

My Hydor L30s warm to the touch, but I don't think it add too much heat. Found out the hard way that the impeller can get stuck tho! First time hooking it up, turned on fine to bleed. turned it off about 1/2 hour later and when I plugged it back in... nothing. I freaked out cause I already cut the end off the plug to hook it up to my pump relay. It just got warm. I had to drain the system, take the pump apart to reseat the impeller. Started up again fine, no problems since and really quiet. Although this is my first water setup, so not much to compare to.
Old 16th September, 2004, 06:35 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorfish
I dont know how to use ebay and ive always been very cautious about selling on there... just dont trust it.
Its dead easy and as a seller you are in control, ie you will only ship the goods once you have received cleared funds (cheque, PayPal, postal orders etc).
You better be quick though, I've seen R9800 Pro's for £117 new OEM!

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Old 16th September, 2004, 09:22 PM

no kidding. I always wait until there's only a minute left then put in the max I'd be willing to pay. That way, if I get it, I'm not paying too much and it won't give other people time to out bid you. (I've waited until 10 secs before but you're pushing your luck then.)
Old 18th December, 2004, 12:04 PM

Hi Dod how noisy is your L30???? ive just put one in and its making one hell of a racket, my L20 was silent but this is the oposite
Old 18th December, 2004, 08:27 PM
Member/Contributer

Hey Bradmax57, it could have some air in it? Try tilting it and see if that helps.

AOA Team fah
Old 19th December, 2004, 03:13 AM

Bradmax, does it almost seem to "rattle" when it's on? I had the this problem with my L30. Had to take it apart and adjust the impeller. Once I did that, just humming along!
Old 19th December, 2004, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloAbogado
Bradmax, does it almost seem to "rattle" when it's on? I had the this problem with my L30. Had to take it apart and adjust the impeller. Once I did that, just humming along!
na it has a definate major rattle
Old 19th December, 2004, 10:28 AM
Member/Contributer

On the impeller shaft there is are two plastic washers on either end of the impeller. Maybe one or both have come off and are just spinning about on the shaft?
I know one of mine has but I cant be bothered to strip every thing down and glue it. I'll just turn up the volume control instead!

AOA Team fah
Old 20th December, 2004, 10:00 PM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

I had to glue the pump I am using also. Made quite a racket.
To continue with the hot pump issue. I have a pump that is rated at 300 GPH and will shoot water 8 feet across the room. "don't ask how I know this". this is the web site spec....
Pond Works 300 gph 2E-38N-WG
Operates either submersed or in-line. Epoxy coated aluminum housing. Little Giant 2E-38N-WG. 3/8" FNPT inlet with snap-off screen; 1/4" MNPT outlet. 15' cord. 1.7 amps; 100 watts; 255 gph@3', 205 gph @5'. 11'8" shutoff.

Needless to say it runs quite hot @ 100 watts. I have run this in line and noticed that the pump was very hot and was wondering the same thing. Is this adding a ton of heat to my loop. I have a smaller sub pump now that uses 15 watts and is rated at 200 GPH @ 0 feet and the temps are the same. I guess the added flow is offset by the addaed heat. So no benifit....?
Old 22nd December, 2004, 09:36 AM
AOA Staff (should be working)

Send a message via ICQ to dod Send a message via Yahoo to dod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradmax57
Hi Dod how noisy is your L30???? ive just put one in and its making one hell of a racket, my L20 was silent but this is the oposite
Sorry m8, missed this, been off line because of my back, can't really sit for more than about 10 mins at a time

Anyway, mine did rattle a bit because of some trapped air. Took ages to bleed it out but once I did it's pretty much silent. Still noisier than an Eheim 1048 though.
Old 22nd December, 2004, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dod
Sorry m8, missed this, been off line because of my back, can't really sit for more than about 10 mins at a time

Anyway, mine did rattle a bit because of some trapped air. Took ages to bleed it out but once I did it's pretty much silent. Still noisier than an Eheim 1048 though.
I wrote to Asetek anyway see what there reply is, hope your beack gets better for christmas! All the best
Old 22nd December, 2004, 03:48 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorfish
Ya know we do have a classifieds!!
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah