AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Old 13th September, 2004, 03:42 PM

60mm -> 80mm cpu fan adapter

My Duron 1.8 is at 1.65v fsb 160x13.5=2160MHz and doing like this under load:

CPU temp 55ºC @ 1.65v

Case temp 43ºC

the HSF is a thermaltake slim volcano 10+ http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/volcano/si/a1671.htm
it has a 60mm fan on it. Would it be worth it to buy a 60mm->80mm adaptor and put a good 80mm fan on this heatsink? what fan would you recommend? or is it good enough to try higher at stock specs?

wife n' kids' rig: AXP2500+@2.1GHz | Soltek NF2 | 512Mb Geil DDR500 | 9700pro | SB live 5.1 | seagate barracuda 40Gb | Samtron 17" CRT
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th September, 2004, 04:17 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

If your system temp is at 43 then try taking the side off and see if temps go down. If they do you need to look at adding more case airflow befor you try to improve CPU cooling.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th September, 2004, 08:27 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

best application with that heatsink is to get the fan adapter as well as the duct mod. the ductmod will create greater turbulance and remove more heat, as well as direct air directly over the center of the heatsink, which most fan's motors cover, and hence prevent air from hitting. the adapter will speed up the air even slighty more, and should give it a tornado effect....
just watch out, as depending on which 80mm fan you ecide to go with, you cooling shoice may get quite loud.
the added airflow from just slapping a 80mm fan on that sink would make a differnce too, but the larger motor will lessen cooling in the middle, which , of course, is where your cpu core will sit...
Old 13th September, 2004, 09:53 PM

So you think that the heat sink is good but deserves a better fan?
What 80mm fan would you recommend? I buy my stuff at this store: http://www.nainformatica.com/ventoinhas.htm
What do you think of the Cooler Master Dual Storm DDF-S81-U1?
Could you give me a link to a duct mod guide?

wife n' kids' rig: AXP2500+@2.1GHz | Soltek NF2 | 512Mb Geil DDR500 | 9700pro | SB live 5.1 | seagate barracuda 40Gb | Samtron 17" CRT
Old 13th September, 2004, 10:18 PM

http://www.thermaltake.com/accessories/DuctingMod.htm

for the duct i am refering to.
Old 14th September, 2004, 10:53 AM

Don't waste money on the Thermaltake ducting mod!! - Really. I've got one in the spares box! It does zilch except change the pitch of the fan noise. As for turbulence and velocity it sounds like marketing blurb from Thermaltake, although it should, in theory, lessen the dead spot. Don't bother.

Fan adapter and 80mm fan are a good idea, should work fine but . . . .
Take Staz's advice get your case temp down first - it's too high. Intake and exhaust fans required get air moving through your case front to back. Aim for a couple or three degrees above ambient room temp at max!
Secondly if you want to get a good temp reduction from a ducting mod. Cut a hole in the side of your case directly in front of the cpu heatsink/fan assembly (measure it accurately) and fit an 80mm fan (low cfm will do) and blow cool room air directly on to the hsf. You should get 4 or 5 degree reduction.

Add a cardboard/display board duct from fan to close to HSF - dead easy, and take another 1C off. Nothing complicated.

I've done it. It works

Last edited by steve@seaton198; 14th September, 2004 at 11:01 AM.
Old 14th September, 2004, 07:19 PM

the duct mod dropped temps by 5c for me, but i have adequate airflow. Removing the side door to the case with the duct increases temps 3c, so fresh outside air it not always the answer. Just like turbulent water in water cooling increases cooling, the same applies to air. The duct does this and redirects the air to directly over the cpu core...guaranteed to increase cooling. But, like you say, increasing airflow in the case is best, but the proper combination of elements will yeild the best result.
Old 14th September, 2004, 07:27 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

All I was trying to say is that cpu was cooled by air inside the case. If that air is hot then it needs to be brought down with better case airflow. If you lower case air temps then cpu temps should also decrease.

I actually get a quieter and cooler computer with the case on (on my wifes machine. If I take the cover off temps og up 1-2 celcius.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 14th September, 2004, 07:40 PM

My system is exactly the same - both case and cpu temps increase by a couple of degrees with the side panel off. The Thermaltake duct mod didn't work for me with side panel on or off!

Looking at other forums I think the concensus is get case temps down, this will bring cpu temps down. Cool air directly on to the HSF will reduce cpu temps, as of course will a better heatsink!!!.
Old 14th September, 2004, 07:45 PM

i have side fans in that case with the duct, and the duct directs the cpu fan at a 90 degree angle fron the side fans, so towards the drives. with the 2 80mm side fans, and the 80mm front fan, the cpu fans gets fresh air, and not warm air that it just sent over the heatsink.