AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th September, 2004, 08:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to BSOD-98

Question AMD heating problems

Ok as of now I am running an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton core at 333fsb. I have a copper plate with aluminum fin heatsink alon with a cooler master fan on it that runs at about 5000 rpm. Mine idles at 55 to 60 degrees celcius. and under full load can reach 66 degrees.

Is this ok? If not what can I do?

-Alex

PS: I also have a low budget so i can't do anything drastic.
Old 14th September, 2004, 08:57 PM
Member/Contributer

it's ok but not great. I'm not a fan of copper base/alu fin heatsinks, my athlon 64 came with an akasa one and the temp is really high, usually around 70 and thats with artic silver and a 4000rpm 70mm fan and the fins are only slightly warm to touch so I figure its to do with the contact between the base and fins.
What is your case cooling like? good cooling will probabally give about a 10 degree differance between the motherbaord and cpu temps. I recentally installed a copper cooler on a friends xp using artic silver and the temp went down from a mob temp of 38 cpu temp 58 to mobo 31 cpu 42.
your temps aren't dangerous and will do if you don't want to overclock and don't need your computer to last 10 years though
Old 14th September, 2004, 09:02 PM

My motherboard temps are usually fine, of now i am running at 39 mobo, 54 cpu. My case cooling I have 1 intake in the front, 1 outake on the side, 1 outake on the back, and a dual fan power supply.
Old 14th September, 2004, 09:05 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

That is good for stock but not for overclocking.

How is you case airflow? What is your budget?

If you take the side off the case and temps go down you need to add some case fans. 4 fans (2 up front and 2 inthe rear) are ussually adequeate. Either 80mm or 92mm is good. If you case will support it you can use one 120mm fan in place of 2 smaller ones. Or you can just leave the side pannel off.

If case airflow is good then it is time to get a better HSF. Let us know your buget and we will recomend the best one.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th September, 2004, 09:12 PM

Like I said case airflow is fine and mobo / case temps are fine. I had been thinking I need a new hsf. For my budget, I probably don't want to spend over $50.