AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd September, 2004, 08:52 PM

Question Liquid Cooling Project......

this project will commence in 4wks... pics will come...

Last edited by woodeirl; 3rd October, 2004 at 08:19 PM. Reason: more data
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd September, 2004, 09:23 PM

danger den has a sweet water block for the 6800 that does both gpu and mem in 1 NVidia 6800 series Water Block!!! but read the reviews on what people are doing
Asetek Waterchill Antartica
2x512 OCZ Platinum LL pc3200 @2.6v
2xSeagate 80 gig SATA raid-0
ATI 9800pro (460/800)
SB live 5.1 (old)
Pioneer 16x DL+DVD burner
Dell M992 19"crt 1600x1200 .24dp

Soon to be added

ATI x800XT-PE

Server
P4 1.6
Dell 4550
80gig IDE
512mb DDR PC-2100
Windows Server 2003 EE
[url=http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=45]
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd September, 2004, 10:19 PM

did you not read my reply to that Subject, and i have noticed it but its not worth it . thankyou for your reply bud....
Old 22nd September, 2004, 11:01 PM
Member/Contributer

Question. How big (physically) do you want this project to be? Making your own radiator/heat exchanger could be more hassle than its worth. If you are thinking big (physically) then look into copper-brass car heatercores. You can get them very cheap and they perform really well.

If your system is going to be large then you will need a hefty pump to keep flow rates up and as most CPU and AGP blocks are made to take 1/2" barbs (1/2" piping) you should keep the length of pipe as short as possible.

As for waterblocks....I've read the new Swiftech's are great performers, so consider them.

Good luck.

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Old 22nd September, 2004, 11:05 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodeirl
I won a mini fridge there a while ago and was thinking of incoperating the cooler from it to cool the water (stat controlled)
Most mini fridges just use a fairly low power peltier element in order to cool their insides. This is fine for their intended purposes, but not really much good for what you want to do.

It's also no biggie to have solder used in the construction, as long as you use coolant that has anti-corrosive additives. Pressurised hot water systems do this all the time, and typically run at 14-28 PSI with no issues for years on end.
Old 23rd September, 2004, 12:10 AM

Yes i have seen the swiftechs blocks but i wanted to get a few hints on it but im happy with your ans...... my friend is big into cars and bikes and he also stated that i could use the copper-brass heatercores to save me time in making the rad.....

and the pump is very powerful id say i will even have to but a small valve on the return to reduce flow......

================================================== =======

as in the fridge cooler, the cooler is not really the small one but is quite large and looking at the specs of it, it would cool water to a certain point, but could come in handy for backup.....i think i will leave that part of the project till last and work on the fundementals first....

thankyou for your good advice i will def take it into account.....

Last edited by woodeirl; 23rd September, 2004 at 12:23 AM. Reason: another reply