AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd October, 2004, 06:03 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via MSN to alexkerhead

that sounds like uber fun there..

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd October, 2004, 08:16 AM

I have ceiling vents and my wife wouldn't approve of having tubing running up the walls! LOL, just thinking of her reaction gives be a chuckle!
Old 3rd October, 2004, 03:57 PM
Member/Contributer

run a vent behind the wall..
ROFL

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th October, 2004, 03:58 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkerhead
uh, explain why ice cold water wont make a difference please?
It's the difference between convective and conductive heat transfer. Conductive heat transfer in fluids is rather slow compared to convective heat transfer, and convective h.t. is several orders of magnitude faster when the fluid is moving at sufficient speed through any given path to become turbulent than if it is static. Essentially you waste the benefits of really cold water if you just leave it to sit there.

I'd write more detail, but somehow I doubt you would read it.
Old 4th October, 2004, 04:13 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitain
It's the difference between convective and conductive heat transfer. Conductive heat transfer in fluids is rather slow compared to convective heat transfer, and convective h.t. is several orders of magnitude faster when the fluid is moving at sufficient speed through any given path to become turbulent than if it is static. Essentially you waste the benefits of really cold water if you just leave it to sit there.

I'd write more detail, but somehow I doubt you would read it.
You underestimate me, I would have read it..
But I get your point, but I think the ice will absorb the heat from the radiator, and the radiator will cool down in temperature.

AOA Team fah
Old 5th October, 2004, 02:24 AM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

Air conditioners do several things, alter the air temperature mostly as well as reduce the humidity. Usually by around 20% or more relative humidity. As long as the air temperature is above the dew point of what your aiming it at you'll be fine Most air con systemd output cold air in the range of 12-18 Celsius, it just feels much cooler as it is much drier.

The human body can tollerate temperature extremes much better than humidity extremes.
Old 5th October, 2004, 08:21 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkerhead
You underestimate me, I would have read it..
But I get your point, but I think the ice will absorb the heat from the radiator, and the radiator will cool down in temperature.
Having seen small glimpses of the mathematics behind it, *I* wouldn't want to wade through it. I would have difficulty dealing with the maths. Admittedly maths isn't my strong point, so once you get into the world of calculus and imaginary numbers, I get lost quickly.

The question is not if the ice will absorb heat from the radiator, but how fast the ice will absorb heat from the radiator. As Kaitain points out, the difference in how fast heat transfer happens in convective and conductive transfer is huge. Just dropping the radiator in ice limits you to conductive transfer. This doesn't stop it having /some/ effect, but it'd be akin to having an air cooled radiator with no fan running to push any air through it.

Running the water through the ice instead would provide significantly faster heat transfer as well as introduce a few other problems.
Old 5th October, 2004, 03:13 PM

That's why Zalman's Resorator is so big because it's less efficient than blowing air over the radiator, so making it bigger balances it out.
Old 5th October, 2004, 06:43 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwalton
The human body can tollerate temperature extremes much better than humidity extremes.
I think that could be the main reason why eyes and lips need protection in artic temps, i.e. protection from the extreme dryness of the air not the low temp. Afterall, if you wear a pair of goggles in a temp of -50 C, it will still be -50 C on the inside of the goggles. But, some humdity remains trapped inside.
Old 6th October, 2004, 12:36 AM
Member/Contributer

my new water cooler is performing amazingly well, my load at 3.38 was 61c, and the idle was 55c, now it is odle at 44c, and load at 53c

AOA Team fah
Old 6th October, 2004, 09:00 PM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

Hey alea, good to hear that your seeing the the advantage watercooling gives, you got any pictures of your setup, you might get on the front page!
Old 6th October, 2004, 09:05 PM
AOA Staff

Yes, let's see some pics!
Old 6th October, 2004, 09:46 PM
Member/Contributer

alright, I need to screw the radiator in the back of the case, then I get some pic..
thanks guys.

AOA Team fah
Old 31st October, 2004, 05:42 PM
Metal Wizard

Alex I used ice in a styrofoam ice chest put a drain hose about 2inches off the bottom and ran it into a bucket. Made my own ice out in the shop. I made the ice in gallon milk jugs I cut off about 3 inches deep. I used a small maxxpert radiator. Now this was the only rad I had on the system. and it sucked. but, once I got it in the ice. I could run my 2.66 at 3350mhz and my cpu temp stayed at 29C never went above 37c no matter the bench mark. It was however a pain in the butt keeping up with the ice making. but not a bad experience. Keep your CPU temp with in 10 Degrees of your case temp ,you will be ok. I also ran a fan over my cpu area just to make sure there was no moisture build up.. That maxxpert rad will only accomodate 3/8 hose. I have thought about running it off another pump and just using it with ice to extreme cool my res. only.

WZ
Old 31st October, 2004, 05:44 PM
Metal Wizard

when I say keep your cpu temp with in 10 degrees I mean if your case temp is 26 then do not go lower than 16 as condensation will then start forming fast.

WZ
Old 10th December, 2004, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
I think that could be the main reason why eyes and lips need protection in artic temps, i.e. protection from the extreme dryness of the air not the low temp. Afterall, if you wear a pair of goggles in a temp of -50 C, it will still be -50 C on the inside of the goggles. But, some humdity remains trapped inside.
Bad way to introduce myself, I know, but that didn't add up to me. It IS warmer inside the goggles, that is WHY there can be humidity in them. The reason things are so dry at such low temperatures is because humidity has a hard time staying in the atmosphere when it's that cold.

But anyway, this kind of thing gets me thinking about that little 34"H x 18" x 18" fridge I have leftover from college. Plenty of room inside to make a 1 or 2 mobo system with some clever work. With heat being radiated out through the fridge's system, the interior can be relatively sealed off from outside atmosphere. Make sure theres good interior air circulation, maybe use water cooling for the chips. Enough room for a dehumidifier even, though not being opened and closed all the time like a refrigerator, with things sealed up decently around outgoing cables and connections it should work fine. There is a makeshift metal freezer box/tray in the top that concerns me though.

Anybody tried a trick like this before?
Old 10th December, 2004, 10:29 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoyote
Bad way to introduce myself, I know, but that didn't add up to me. It IS warmer inside the goggles, that is WHY there can be humidity in them. The reason things are so dry at such low temperatures is because humidity has a hard time staying in the atmosphere when it's that cold.

But anyway, this kind of thing gets me thinking about that little 34"H x 18" x 18" fridge I have leftover from college. Plenty of room inside to make a 1 or 2 mobo system with some clever work. With heat being radiated out through the fridge's system, the interior can be relatively sealed off from outside atmosphere. Make sure theres good interior air circulation, maybe use water cooling for the chips. Enough room for a dehumidifier even, though not being opened and closed all the time like a refrigerator, with things sealed up decently around outgoing cables and connections it should work fine. There is a makeshift metal freezer box/tray in the top that concerns me though.

Anybody tried a trick like this before?
Welcome to AOA!

I'm glad my post prompted you to reply!

I can understand your thoughts, however try it out for real and see what impression artic temps can really make. Believe me -50c is shocking stuff!

The fridge thing doesn't really work so well because it can't cope with the continuous heat input - even with the door shut.

Fridges can cope well with cooling things which don't generate heat. You would need a very powerful fridge to cool something which generates heat.
Old 11th December, 2004, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
Welcome to AOA!

I'm glad my post prompted you to reply!

I can understand your thoughts, however try it out for real and see what impression artic temps can really make. Believe me -50c is shocking stuff!

The fridge thing doesn't really work so well because it can't cope with the continuous heat input - even with the door shut.

Fridges can cope well with cooling things which don't generate heat. You would need a very powerful fridge to cool something which generates heat.
And hence, this is why putting a radiator for a water cooling rig (as someone mentioned) would likewise be ineffective. Plus they'd end up with warm beer. Unless you're a limey, you don't want that.