AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd October, 2004, 02:10 AM

Whats the normal temps of the CPU Prescott?

hi there guys ive got meself a prescott 3.2 there about a week ago and i was wondering what the usual temps are for these chips as this one runs about

Idle @ 33-35

Load @ 46-48

now i was wondering are them temps too high for the chip or are they ok?

Because i do know that they run abit hot now and then....

I have temp probes to put onto various subjects but the one i really dont know where to situate is the CPU one i havent got a clue as to where i put the probe as i using the Coolermaster Hyper6 KHC-V81 Cooler on the CPU with one akasa low noise fan on it. If i place the probe anywhere on the cpu cooler its always about 2-4 degrees out of the reading on CPU cool which i think takes the reading from the onboard probes. (which one is acc)

Now these temps came from CPU cool from the mother board readings so i dont know if there acc.

Does anyone have any advice on this subject?

Hopefully soon ill build some sort of liquid cooling etc, but the funds ran out after getting some materials for my PC. and i wanted to get the peltier soloution but i needed a totally different powersupply aswell and did ye see the price of those laddies!!!!
Abit IN9 32X-MAX WiFi nForce 680i
Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 2.4ghz
CellShock 2GB DDR2 PC2-6400C4 800MHz
2 x BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC 768MB GDDR3 SLi
Western Digital Raptor X 150GB
Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB 3200KS
Tagan 1.1kw Turbojet Quad SLi
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro
Saitek X-52 Pro edition
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th October, 2004, 06:00 PM
Member/Contributer

those temps are fine, anything upto about 70 degrees will do, preferabally under 60 though
if your gonna use your own temp probe then it's best to have it just touching the side of the heat cap so it doesn't intefer with the heatsink and with a little thermal compound.
The on chip diode can be out by up to 10 degrees so it's only a rough guide, and a probe only tells the temp of the cap so there isn't a truly accurate way to know, as long as it's reporting temps around those you have there and its stable I would say it's fine

Tobias F√ľnke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th November, 2004, 06:05 AM

thanks for the info bud
Abit IN9 32X-MAX WiFi nForce 680i
Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 2.4ghz
CellShock 2GB DDR2 PC2-6400C4 800MHz
2 x BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC 768MB GDDR3 SLi
Western Digital Raptor X 150GB
Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB 3200KS
Tagan 1.1kw Turbojet Quad SLi
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro
Saitek X-52 Pro edition
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Old 9th November, 2004, 12:38 PM

i am useing a old fan from a p4 1.5gig and it's keeping the 3.2gig temp around 50c !!!!!

sabertooth 990FX
amd FX8350 @4.2ghz
16GB 1600mhz hyperX ram
AMD HD7970 3GB asus DCPC graphics
hyperX 120GB SSD
WD 320GB hard drive
1TB,500GB working over usb3
corsair HX850 psu
aerocool cyclone black case
window 8.1
asus monitor 24" 1920x1200 res.
Old 3rd December, 2004, 06:48 AM
Member/Contributer

btw mines at 44oC idle overclocked and overvolted. She loads to about 49 I think, maybe low 50's if I'm REALY loading it. this is with high 1.5V(testing my limits, pushin my luck =-O). I have my computer shutting off cold at 65oC. I dont wanna be running it any hotter than that. I'll overclock until that becomes my next or only limit, then I'm done.
Old 29th December, 2004, 09:23 AM

I recently loaded SisSoftware Sandra Lite, When I run the full Diag, it tell me my CPU is running too hot? Running The Soyo Hardware Monitor that came with the MB, it tells me my CPU Temp is 45C. Case temp is 41C. I have a bunch of fans running, and recently had to replace my CPU fan, it was buzzing like hell. Could the Sandra report be wrong?

P4 2.8HT stock clock
1 Gig DDR
256MB Fx5600 Nvidia Video
2 E-IDE Drives
1 SATA drive,
4 exteranal fans
1 on the CPU CoolerMaster
1 on the Video card, stock

Duckdodger
Old 29th December, 2004, 07:36 PM
Member/Contributer

Sandra DEFINATLY can report wrong, since i've been home sandra and MBM have been reporting my prescott to be in the 80's, the high 80's. Though a quick restart shows low to mid 40s in bios. If you're idling at 45 with air cooling you're probably just about right with a prescott. If your on a NW though, might be a bit warm, nothing to be worried about I don't think.
Old 29th December, 2004, 07:59 PM
EPoX Tech

An actual Prescott temperature at c. 3Ghz stock voltage loaded with stock cooling and reference system cooling would be somewhere in the region of at least 60 celsius, with PWM getting that hot too.
Old 29th December, 2004, 10:55 PM
Member/Contributer

so even stock cooling, what intel said "ok we'll ship it like this, and expect most people to use it like this" is 60oC...so 45 wouldn't be a problem...at least thats how I think about it

And I like the location ET, I dont like him a whole lot...
Old 5th January, 2005, 12:42 AM

2.8 Prescott OC'd to 3.36

I'm using a Jungle CPU Fan and one case fan. My ASUS P5P800 mobo came with it's Intelligent AI which I used to automatically OC by 20%. I can go to 30%, but I've already fried a low budget PSU at this level so I'm holding off on the 30% for now (The line at Fry's is almost unbearable these days). The new Enermax PSU (460W) seems to be doing fine so far.

My CPU seems to be running fairly hot at around 67 - 68 while running Toast and CPU Stability test together. The ASUS Probe monitoring software has been holding steady at right around 68 degrees during this test.

If this seems too hot, any suggestions for getting the temp down more would be welcome.

Thanks,
Newbie Klugey1