AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th February, 2002, 07:09 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaitain
The point to aim for is the break-in-curve, where it just starts to flatten out. Then you're getting the best value for money out of the metal you've got.
The problem here is that your assuming the particular market desires "value". The way I see it, the water-cooling market is largely made up of performance minded folks. So if(hypothetically) you were going to design a product to market, it might be best to go for a trade off between value and top-performance . . . . something that cost 100% more to "develop" than the typical part on the market, performs 30% better, and only cost 20% more to manufacture . . . . Whether or not those goals can be meet is debatable, but you have to start somewhere and compromise as you go along . . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th February, 2002, 09:55 PM

Contrary to popular belief, some simple cross drilled blocks dont perform too bad, very low pressure drop unless you get creative with the drilling like i did... 2 10mm inlet/outlet channels with 8 3mm connecting channels.. I tapped threads all the way down these to increase surface area and turbulence, but IMHO waterblocks dont respond to surface area increases as much as they do the proximity of the water flow to the core.. thats why i have all the little channels just above the core, and after drilling it i machined the base as flat and thin as possible (well, as I dare)

Schools come in handy for using machines!

Dogs can never have too much fun! See Marge, Weee, weee, woo! wayhey! weeeeeeeee!!! -Homer
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th February, 2002, 10:25 PM

Send a message via ICQ to kplonk

Ln2 would be fun there is no doubt,
Old 5th February, 2002, 01:16 AM
Banned

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Winkie Send a message via AIM to Winkie Send a message via Yahoo to Winkie

The beauty of state change systems, is if you boil liquid nitrogen or similar, it will remain at it's boiling point till completely evaporated.. so all you have to do is make sure it never completely evaporates

IE compress it and put it back into a resvoir.. preferrably one that's in almost direct contact with the core
Old 5th February, 2002, 06:29 AM

Why must folks complicate things so? If you want phase change, and I mean GOOD phase change:

Just get yourself an old window air conditioner(a smallish model).
Do away with the old "charge".
Eliminate the original evaporator coil.
Build a new evaporator coil inside of a PVC reservoir.
Recharge the system.
Use it to cool water.
Circulate the water with a mag-drive pump. (they will live with -50C)

Why go with phase change cooled liquid, rather than directly cooling the CPU with phase change? The size restrictions are a limiting factor that makes designing an efficient evaporator difficult(if not impossible), requiring a compressor and condenser many times larger than what is desirable. Using the evaporator to cool liquid remotely allows for a much larger, and much more efficient, evaporator.

Won't a large window air conditioner compressor use a lot of electricity? Not if you use a large liquid reservoir and run the compressor on a duty cycle. Such a system would be considerably more energy efficient than peltiers with equal cooling power at least.

I could throw together such a system for around $150, assuming I got a good deal on the AC unit at a garage sale . . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 5th February, 2002, 10:35 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
The problem here is that your assuming the particular market desires "value". The way I see it, the water-cooling market is largely made up of performance minded folks.
Not really. I just think you'll be p!ssing an awful lot of money away for no gain if you try for "ultimate" performance from a waterblock.

From the math: for a model I'm working on, at a particular water flow rate (ignoring pressure drop for the mo), and assuming the water was inlet at 5ºC, 1cm fins gave a core temp of 9.84ºC, 2cm fins gave a temp of 9.32ºC, 3cm fins gave 9.04ºC and 4cm fins 8.85ºC. You get very quickly to a point of diminishing returns.
Old 5th February, 2002, 10:49 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
I could throw together such a system for around $150, assuming I got a good deal on the AC unit at a garage sale . . . .
Unless you're in the UK, where self-fit AC systems aren't available. Throw in the fact that getting hold of the refridgerant isn't an easy task, and it's a lot more difficult to build a phase change system.

Why bother using water? Why not use ammonia instead?

AidanII
Old 5th February, 2002, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Ammonia is actually a gas. The "liquid form" is a strong solution of ammonium hydroxide, which is strongly alkali. Although plenty of metals can cope with it, synthetic components such as seals and gaskets (esp in your pump) will have a hard time of it.

Pure ammonia would make a good gas/liquid system.
Old 5th February, 2002, 03:12 PM
Banned

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Winkie Send a message via AIM to Winkie Send a message via Yahoo to Winkie

Quote:
Originally posted by AidanII

Unless you're in the UK, where self-fit AC systems aren't available. Throw in the fact that getting hold of the refridgerant isn't an easy task, and it's a lot more difficult to build a phase change system.

AidanII

which I am .. and I want some freon
Old 5th February, 2002, 06:19 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:

Ammonia is actually a gas. The "liquid form" is a strong solution of ammonium hydroxide, which is strongly alkali. Although plenty of metals can cope with it, synthetic components such as seals and gaskets (esp in your pump) will have a hard time of it.

Pure ammonia would make a good gas/liquid system.
Ammonia is a gas at atmosphere temperatures and pressure, but down in the depths of seriously cooled system, it would make a more suitable medium for moving heat from the CPU to the evaporator especially at such low temperatures.

AidanII
Old 5th February, 2002, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Ammonia is a gas at atmosphere temperatures and pressure, but down in the depths of seriously cooled system, it would make a more suitable medium for moving heat from the CPU to the evaporator especially at such low temperatures.
I was just looking at the "steam tables" for ammonia as I wrote that last message I couldn't work out whether you were looking at a "watercooling" system but using ammonia solution, or whether you were talking about gas/liquid cooling.

As a refrigerant, it's a very viable alternative to freon... less anaesthetic, too :nervous:
Old 5th February, 2002, 06:30 PM
Banned

Quote:

I was just looking at the "steam tables" for ammonia as I wrote that last message I couldn't work out whether you were looking at a "watercooling" system but using ammonia solution, or whether you were talking about gas/liquid cooling.

As a refrigerant, it's a very viable alternative to freon... less anaesthetic, too :nervous:

I believe there are better ones, dont know their names.. but freon is somewhat dangerous.. so freon replacements are advised
Old 5th February, 2002, 08:16 PM

Oh, freon's great stuff! Great stuff! Need more suntan? Dump a few kilotonnes of that into the atmosphere and move to the south pole! Need a good night's sleep? This stuff makes chloroform look like a stimulant! Need a refrigerant that won't degrade, no matter how many times it's subjected to the extreme forces Joule-Thompson cooling requires? This is your chemical!

It's for this reason that 1950s fridges can still work, but one from 1995 will die after 10 years.

However, depending on the way you set it up, there are many alternatives to freon:

Ammonia
"Ether" (dimethyl ether)
Methanol (dodgy, but can be done)
Butane (booooommm)
CFCs and HCs not bound by the Montreal agreement.
Old 5th February, 2002, 09:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
This stuff makes chloroform look like a stimulant!
Hell it makes a gunshot to the head look like a stimulant!
Old 6th February, 2002, 12:29 AM

Quote:
However, depending on the way you set it up, there are many alternatives to freon:

Ammonia
"Ether" (dimethyl ether)
Methanol (dodgy, but can be done)
Butane (booooommm)
CFCs and HCs not bound by the Montreal agreement.
You forgot water, ethanol, chlorine, LP gas, hydrogen (now thats a BOOM!!), helium, nitrogen, CO2 and just about every other liquid and gas. Some are better suited than others, but just about any could be used(though it may not be cost effective, efficient, or even safe). As I'm sure you know, one just has to set the system pressure so that the boiling point is optimal . . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 6th February, 2002, 12:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
You forgot water, ethanol, chlorine, LP gas, hydrogen (now thats a BOOM!!), helium, nitrogen, CO2 and just about every other liquid and gas. Some are better suited than others, but just about any could be used(though it may not be cost effective, efficient, or even safe). As I'm sure you know, one just has to set the system pressure so that the boiling point is optimal . . . .

Hydrogen isnt exactly a boom... on it's own it's loverly.. despite the hindumburg (ok, i cant spell it ) rumours.. that was actually caused by electricity in the fabric

Hydrogen is a fantastic fuel.. and it's only BOOMy if it's hydrogen and air mixture

how about mercury?
Old 6th February, 2002, 12:59 AM

if your going to such an extreme........buy a kyrotech case.......there you go....built in AC....
Old 6th February, 2002, 01:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by panhead49
if your going to such an extreme........buy a kyrotech case.......there you go....built in AC....
yeha but where's the fun
Old 6th February, 2002, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by b0bb1nz

yeha but where's the fun
Wheres that second morgage ?

If you buy a couple of old freesers you can make your own buget Cryotherm, thats fun and very cold and lots of fun.
Especially if you cool at 220watt peltier with the evaporator.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 6th February, 2002, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by b0bb1nz
Hydrogen is a fantastic fuel.. and it's only BOOMy if it's hydrogen and air mixture.
Well hydrogen and oxygen are "boomy" because combustion is basically rapid and violent oxidization. A hydrogen powered internal combustion engine is nearly pollution free(nitrogen oxygen combustion byproducts would be the only pollutants), as two hydrogen molecules and one oxygen molecule become two water molecules when burnt.

Gasoline on the other hand is a simple hydro-carbonate that when combined with oxygen for combustion produces carbon-dioxide(and some carbon-monoxide, especially when improperly tuned) as well as water vapor and nitrogen oxygen byproducts.

Methanol and other alcohols are not all that dissimilar from gasoline hydro-carbonates, they just already have some oxygen atoms of there own, which is why less power is extracted from any volume of alcohol than from the same volume of gasoline. However the oxygen in alcohol makes it burn cooler, and also makes it more difficult to ignite, these attributes make it a very high octane fuel well suited for high static compression ratios and supercharging. The "intercooling" effect of alcohol evaporating in an engines intake manifold is another reason why it is the perfect fuel for supercharging applications.

Diesel fuel and Kerosene are hydro-carbonates just like Gasoline, though there molecules are larger and more complex(less refined), which is why they are lower octane fuels. Because these fuels are of such a low octane, they must be injected in to the combustion chamber of an engine at the very end of the compression stroke, to prevent predetonation.

AOA Team fah