AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th February, 2002, 09:01 AM
Banned

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Winkie Send a message via AIM to Winkie Send a message via Yahoo to Winkie

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
Well hydrogen and oxygen are "boomy" because combustion is basically rapid and violent oxidization. A hydrogen powered internal combustion engine is nearly pollution free(nitrogen oxygen combustion byproducts would be the only pollutants), as two hydrogen molecules and one oxygen molecule become two water molecules when burnt.

Gasoline on the other hand is a simple hydro-carbonate that when combined with oxygen for combustion produces carbon-dioxide(and some carbon-monoxide, especially when improperly tuned) as well as water vapor and nitrogen oxygen byproducts.

Methanol and other alcohols are not all that dissimilar from gasoline hydro-carbonates, they just already have some oxygen atoms of there own, which is why less power is extracted from any volume of alcohol than from the same volume of gasoline. However the oxygen in alcohol makes it burn cooler, and also makes it more difficult to ignite, these attributes make it a very high octane fuel well suited for high static compression ratios and supercharging. The "intercooling" effect of alcohol evaporating in an engines intake manifold is another reason why it is the perfect fuel for supercharging applications.

Diesel fuel and Kerosene are hydro-carbonates just like Gasoline, though there molecules are larger and more complex(less refined), which is why they are lower octane fuels. Because these fuels are of such a low octane, they must be injected in to the combustion chamber of an engine at the very end of the compression stroke, to prevent predetonation.
Yup, couple years ago I attended a "Fuels and combustion" lecture which was basically them blowing stuff up, and every result we had showed hydrogen as the best and most reliable fuel

anyway.. what about mercury for cooling?
Old 6th February, 2002, 11:24 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
You forgot water, ethanol, chlorine, LP gas, hydrogen (now thats a BOOM!!), helium, nitrogen, CO2 and just about every other liquid and gas. Some are better suited than others, but just about any could be used(though it may not be cost effective, efficient, or even safe). As I'm sure you know, one just has to set the system pressure so that the boiling point is optimal . . . .
I ignored those because the conditions required are just too extreme for somebody to knock up in their garage. The ones I listed basically give the right sort of temperatures at pressures just either side of ambient.

Otherwise, why not use bitumen at extremely low pressure?

Quote:
anyway.. what about mercury for cooling?
Mad as a hatter? You will be
Old 6th February, 2002, 06:42 PM
Banned

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Winkie Send a message via AIM to Winkie Send a message via Yahoo to Winkie

who says i'm not already

*fires up his mercury "cooler"*

*dies*
Old 6th February, 2002, 08:09 PM

Send a message via ICQ to kplonk

I say go for it!! some one has to
Old 7th February, 2002, 09:11 PM

If your in Uk and need phase charge system filled up call the auto man ,he's the man that can!
Old 8th February, 2002, 12:38 AM

auto man?

Dogs can never have too much fun! See Marge, Weee, weee, woo! wayhey! weeeeeeeee!!! -Homer
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th February, 2002, 08:22 PM

Yes auto guy .If you get a leak in your car air conditioning system you can call up an enginner who comes round ,brazes in an adapter and refills the system!simple!
check the yellow pages.thats where i got mine from.
Old 13th February, 2002, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fasterstill
Yes auto guy .If you get a leak in your car air conditioning system you can call up an enginner who comes round ,brazes in an adapter and refills the system!simple!
check the yellow pages.thats where i got mine from.
Err, he'll have to evacuate the refrigerant, repair the line (if possible), vacuum it, then refill it.

"If you can't make it good, make it look good." - Bill Gates, 1995

Defeat Autism Now!
Athalon XP 1600
Epox EP-8KHA+
Thermaltake Volcano 6cu
512MB Crucial DDR PC2100
Enlight EN-7237 AZ MT Case
Gainward GF3 Ti200 64MB Power Pack Golden Sample
Adaptec 2940UW
Seagate Cheetah 9.1GB SCSI
HP 9200i SCSI CDRW
Sony 50X IDE CDROM
Iomega 100 Internal Zip SCSI
Sony CPD-E500 21" Trinitron
NetGear RP114
RatPadz mousing surface
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th February, 2002, 08:32 PM

refrigerant was already lost as i had a leak!(split line)
he repaired the line by brazing in the adapter .
Did'nt see how or weather he vacumed it .
Then he filled it.
Old 13th February, 2002, 08:36 PM

He did, otherwise it would'nt work. Vacuuming the line removes all moisture and contaminants.

"If you can't make it good, make it look good." - Bill Gates, 1995

Defeat Autism Now!
Athalon XP 1600
Epox EP-8KHA+
Thermaltake Volcano 6cu
512MB Crucial DDR PC2100
Enlight EN-7237 AZ MT Case
Gainward GF3 Ti200 64MB Power Pack Golden Sample
Adaptec 2940UW
Seagate Cheetah 9.1GB SCSI
HP 9200i SCSI CDRW
Sony 50X IDE CDROM
Iomega 100 Internal Zip SCSI
Sony CPD-E500 21" Trinitron
NetGear RP114
RatPadz mousing surface
Old 13th February, 2002, 08:41 PM

sounds sensible did'nt take anougth notice .