AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd December, 2004, 09:27 PM

Send a message via MSN to WonderBread Send a message via Yahoo to WonderBread

AMD cooler

im looking GOOD for a cpu cooler with room for overclocking for my xp 2400 and xp-m 2600 that is under $30.00

Last edited by WonderBread; 24th December, 2004 at 12:24 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th December, 2004, 03:54 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to RussianMissile1

ive heard some good things about this one

if you can stretch your budget, this is the best air cooling you can get

this one might be the balance between the other two ive mentioned
Old 24th December, 2004, 04:54 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

The ALX-800 is a decent cooler, and SVC sells it for $15. Unfortunately they are out of stock right now.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th December, 2004, 07:13 AM

what about the volcano 12+?
Old 24th December, 2004, 09:10 PM

well i ordered the Thermaltake Silent Boost. hope fully its a good one.
Old 11th January, 2005, 05:18 PM

I just got a silent boost to replace a 2 year old Vantec Aeroflow that started making awful griding noises. I'm happy with the new cooler, it's much quieter than the Aeroflow, and it's doing a better job keeping the temperature low.

Now I have to replace my hard drives since they're louder than the CPU fan.
Old 11th January, 2005, 07:19 PM
Member/Contributer

The silent boost is quite good, the heatsink it's self is pretty solid though I've no doubt with it being a thermaltake it would benefit from a lapping
I've never heard the fan but judging from themrtakes usual take on silence it's probabally far from it, if your temps aren't too high running it at 7V maybe even 5V may make it much more quiet

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 11th January, 2005, 07:20 PM

well i took that fan off that came with the HS and put an 80mm case fan on it and droped the temps 2c more. so i though what the heck y not, and i went and bought a Vantec Tornao and a Vantec Nexus fan controller
Old 11th January, 2005, 07:26 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Schieldrop
I just got a silent boost to replace a 2 year old Vantec Aeroflow that started making awful griding noises. I'm happy with the new cooler, it's much quieter than the Aeroflow, and it's doing a better job keeping the temperature low.

Now I have to replace my hard drives since they're louder than the CPU fan.
I recomend samsung spinpoints, they are by far the quietest 7200rpm drive you can get at the moment, though I've heard the motor makes a differance with the nidec motor being the one people recomend though I think it's pot luck as to weather you get this

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 11th January, 2005, 08:51 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Volcano 12 is ok... i have one cooling a mobile AXP overclocked to 3200+ for 3500+. As long as the cpu gets fresh air, it does ok, but any copper-only heatsink requires a large amt of airflow in comparison to an aluminum cooler. Aluminum is better for dissippating heat than copper
Old 11th January, 2005, 10:09 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
Aluminum is better for dissippating heat than copper
not true, thermal conductivity works both ways, usually the problem with copper coolers compared with aluminium ones is that copper is harder to work with and so the cheaper copper coolers aren't as high a quality as similar Al ones.
Take the Zalman 7XXX series, the copper versions are better than the AlCu varients even with the fan on the lowest speeds

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 11th January, 2005, 10:40 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Copper is better for heat absorption while aluminium is better for heat dissipation, AFAIK.
Old 12th January, 2005, 01:50 AM
Member/Contributer

their conductive properties work both ways trust me

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 9th February, 2005, 11:01 PM

I am also looking for a Heatsink/Cooler.

8rda6+pro with Athlon xp +3000

No to mild overclocking

Need it to be pretty quiet

budget up to 50 bux

any suggestions?

thanx in advance

Rayston
Old 9th February, 2005, 11:05 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

ThermalRight makes some darned nice heat sinks. Take a look at www.directron.com or www.heatsinkfactory.com.
Old 9th February, 2005, 11:08 PM
Member/Contributer

That board does have mounting holes round the socket doesn't it?
If it does I recomend the Zalman CNSP7000B-Cu, running the fan on 5V will be near as damn it silent, it's also a pretty efficient cooler and should be less than $50 I would think, though I'm not sure of it's price in the US

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 10th February, 2005, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
ThermalRight makes some darned nice heat sinks. Take a look at www.directron.com or www.heatsinkfactory.com.

Anyone know if this is a good one?

http://heatsinkfactory.com/cgi-bin/H...talogno=HS-008

They list some extra stuff I can buy like fan, tail, thermal paste 3 to 4 pin connector

Do I need any of that? I assume I need the fan, which is best for decent cooling vs. low noise?

Heres the board I want ( I dont own it quite yet, waiting for tax return and planning ahead)

http://www.epox.nl/english/products/...ard/8rda6+.htm

Thank you

Rayston
Old 10th February, 2005, 12:41 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Ummm....

The board you pointed us to is a socket A board and the HSF is for a P4 or socket 754 or socket 939.

That HSF won't fit that board.

Do you want a Socket A system or a Hammer system?

If you want a hammer system then that is an excelent cooler. I sugest for low noise the medium flow Panaflo fan with a 3 pin tail (you can get a 4 pin tail if you want but there is no reason not to run this fan off the Motherboard header. And yes you will need thermal paste.

If you want a socket A system get this HSF instead, with the same fan for a low noise system.

If you want more agressive cooling go with the Panaflo high output fan and a 4 pin tail. If you want top notch no holds barred cooling get the vantec tornado and some ear plugs

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 10th February, 2005, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staz
Ummm....

Do you want a Socket A system or a Hammer system?
Not sure what a hammer system is. So I guess I want a Socket A System.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staz
If you want a socket A system get this HSF instead, with the same fan for a low noise system.
Cool, ill check it out, what exactly is a "tail" ?

Thanx

Rayston
Old 10th February, 2005, 03:18 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayston
Not sure what a hammer system is. So I guess I want a Socket A System.
A Hammer system is based on a hammer cpu. A hammer cpu is an AMD cpu that can do either 32bit or 64bit operations. It also has the memory controller built right into the cpu for reduced latency. Incidently it was code named hammer because it was suposed to hammer the hell out of Intel. It comes in 3 flavors. Socket 940 which is a multi processor chip that is meant for servers and work stations. Socket 939 which does dual channle RAM and Socket 754 which is single channel RAM. These are AMD's top performing systems and are priced right alongside Intels equivilant systems.

Socket A is the older arcitecture and AMD would like to do away with it but it is still way to popular and will give you the most bang for your buck. However there will be very limited upgradibility if any, and when Windows 64 comes out in about a year from now you won't be able to upgrade to it. That and you will be limited AGP video cards. Still, if you are on a budget it will give you a good system at a cheap price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayston
Cool, ill check it out, what exactly is a "tail" ?

Thanx

Rayston
Panaflo fans don't have wires hanging off of them like every other fan does. Instead you get a "tail" which plugs into the fan and into the mobo (3 pin) or a spare molex connector (4 pin).

While shopping for cooling supplies don't forget to check out http://www.svc.com/ they are cheaper on somethings and more expensive on others. It pays to comparison shop. I have bought from both the Heatsink factory and SVC.com and they are both top rated.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.