AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th January, 2005, 02:25 AM
Member/Contributer

but what your talking about is case airflow being a bottleneck, all things considered if you changed the airflow though the case and across the heatsink in proportion a heatsink with heatpipes should scale it's performance no differantly than any other kind of heatsink

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th January, 2005, 03:20 AM
Projector Wizard

Yes, you are right, it will scale with the amount of airflow in the case.

Each heatsink/fan can be rated as capable of removing a certain number of Watts of heat. This is directly tied to its C/W ratio.
A lower C/W rated heatsink+fan will scale faster at removing heat from a CPU as you turn the case air speed up.

If you have no case airflow, you will see little to no performance difference between heatsink+fans.
As you increase the case airflow, the heatsinks start to show their differences. At some point, the amount of extra air shifted in the case does not translate into much better CPU temps. At this point you have stopped most of the CPU coolers warm air from recirculating into it (or diluted other high heat sources within the case enough).

To me its a mute point. You need airflow in your PC, it doesnt need to be loud, its cheap to do and it works

didnt mean to stretch that out, its hard to say in less words.
X1800XT clocked to PE
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th January, 2005, 03:38 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

it's even more important with heatpipes, because of thier critical fluid nature. Higher airflow will prevent scavaging. It's a flaw in the design, IMHO, that thermalrite have dealt with most effectively.
Old 18th January, 2005, 04:06 AM
Member/Contributer

but look at shuttles, low cfm, fins not attached to the heatsnink core and still a very effective cooler

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 18th January, 2005, 04:10 AM

yes, but only one end of the pipe is being cooled, whereas with most others, it is both ends.
Old 18th January, 2005, 04:39 AM
Projector Wizard

The shuttles heatsink fins fit directly to the back of the case. All heat from the heatsink goes out of the back of the case and doesnt recirculate. If the other components in the case dont warm the air too much, the fan on the heatsink should be enough for it.

I used a shuttle heatsink on my old FX5900 (see picture). It worked very welll!
I did eventually drill holes in it and secured it properly instead of tie wraps
A friend has it now, it still runs faster than a 5900 Ultra.
I also fitted a fan directly to the heatsink which draws air into the fins and blew on some of the ram chips too (picture 3).

Looking at the heatsink it has 4 pipes. perhaps theres only 2 and they are bent at the heatsink base so the 4 ends are cooled by the fins?

I used another similar technique to draw cold air onto my CPU via an air tunnel (picture 4). This should work well for a Heatpipe too.
Attached Thumbnails
Top new air cooler!-shuttle-heatpipe-fx5900-cooler.jpg   Top new air cooler!-shuttle-heatpipe-fx5900-cooler-2.jpg   Top new air cooler!-shuttle-heatpipe-fx5900-cooler-3.jpg   Top new air cooler!-happy-case-2.jpg  
X1800XT clocked to PE
Old 18th January, 2005, 05:47 AM

I pulled apart one of those coolers..they are 4 seperate pipes...and part of the reason they perform so well.
Old 18th January, 2005, 05:50 AM
Projector Wizard

cooool
X1800XT clocked to PE