AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th January, 2005, 09:04 PM
Projector Wizard

Top new air cooler!

Spotted this on one of my UK favourite sites, the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64, 4 & 7 :
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...c_Cooling.html
Its HUGE, silent and has a C/W of .20 or .19 !!
There are some excellent deals to be had too.

The reviews are all glowing.
ie http://www.techniz.co.uk/modules.php...content&id=177
I wouldnt mind getting one to see how good it is here.
X1800XT clocked to PE
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th January, 2005, 09:46 PM
Member/Contributer

Previous artic coolers, though quiet have only managed so by basically just running a slow fan on an average heatsink and so didn't cool remarkably well. Hopefully the new design changes that, though I think that C/W and CFM rating is optimistic.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th January, 2005, 10:14 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

The new design does not change much. Silent cooling. That's about it. Heatpipes require a ton of fresh air to be efficient, so maybe, it might be good in a over-ventilated case.
Old 17th January, 2005, 10:26 PM
Member/Contributer

well the thermalright xp range manage fine with low cfm fans and they use heatpipes
I always thought the benefit of heatpipes was for larger heatsinks, getting the heat from above the core distributed over the large surface area quicker

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 17th January, 2005, 10:28 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

The 0.2C/W is a nice figure, but I'm guessing that assumes there's no thermal interface material. Plugging those figures into the review you linked to would show that their CPU was running at 135W. Putting their CPU at a mostly generous 75W of heat, and you're at a 0.36C/W figure, which is perhaps more realistic.

I've also seen one or two reviews that had it fair not so well compared to a 'stock' cooler. It'd certainly be interesting to test!
Old 17th January, 2005, 10:39 PM
Member/Contributer

Be interesting to see it up against the Zalman CNPS7000B-ALCU as their about the same price

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 17th January, 2005, 10:50 PM

the zalman would win. I used to have an all-heatpipe-cooled system...while quiet at stock speeds, they are great...but once you try to overclock, you quite literally need to add air exponentially in order to be able to keep them efficient. The cool side does need to be cool...
the XP series fare well because they have 2 technolgies in one... a standard heatsink with heatpipes infused inside...but in the XP 90 and 120, the fins still touch the base of the heatsink that touches the cpu, so you kind of have 2 cooling solutions in one, whereas the Artic Cooling heatsink's fins are seperate from the cpu block, thereby destroying the efficiency in comparision to the thermalrite line...which, of all the aircoolers i have seen, is about the best with price/noise/efficiency factored in.
Old 17th January, 2005, 11:17 PM
AOA Staff

Found these threads at ocuk, seems that these coolers are up to scratch.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...eadid=17348986
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...eadid=17347512
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...eadid=17309786
Old 17th January, 2005, 11:24 PM
Member/Contributer

Don't know about price
zalmans are quite close on efficiency, I don't even need the fan on for my 7700 at idle and during full load I only have it at 800-900rpm, the fins aren't even warm to touch so I think the ceramanique burn in period is currently the limitting factor, even still my cpu temp is only 57-60C full load, on full speed it runs about 50C But I do need an intake fan
the fan isn't silent though, I need to de-couple it from the heatsink as it's vibrating at the moment.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 17th January, 2005, 11:40 PM

Bradmax had a Hyper6 i think...that beast had 3 heatpipes, and imagine was a tad better, but the pipes in the artic cooler are massive in comparison to most.

Like i said earlier...great in a case with great airflow....not much better than stock in an average case without added fans. Of course, they could always send me one for a review that could change my mind, but i doubt it.
Old 17th January, 2005, 11:53 PM
Projector Wizard

It seems better in most regards than most of the heatsinks I have seen.
I believe that you need good case airflow regardless, especially if the PC is going to last the Summer months. Using a super cooler with little case airflow is a pointless venture.
Good case airflow need not be noisy. Mine is near silent.
X1800XT clocked to PE
Old 18th January, 2005, 12:11 AM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chernobyl
What fans are you using on your case?
Old 18th January, 2005, 12:18 AM
Member/Contributer

I don't really understand how airflow wouldn't scale linearly, the heatsink still has the same conductive properties, high or low airflow

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 18th January, 2005, 12:19 AM
Projector Wizard

I use silent 80mm fans, 2 in the front, 2 out the back and 1 in from the side.
These are running at 7V to make sure they are pretty quiet!
The loudest noises are the single 120mm fan on the water cooler running at 12V (soon to be changed) and my hard drives.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Vantec.html
or
YS-TECH FD128025LB SILENT 80mm
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...S_Tech_60.html
will do well
X1800XT clocked to PE
Old 18th January, 2005, 12:32 AM
Member/Contributer

vantec stealth, now theres a misnomer
if you want the best and most quiet fans then nexus are the ones to go for, very few places sell them (kustompcs does in the uk) but they are king.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 18th January, 2005, 12:46 AM
Projector Wizard

Not bad.
They will give a similar noise/airflow to the other 12V fans (when they are running at 7V). This means you dont need to change the power connector over. They do cost twice the price for the privelage. Nice to have the choice
X1800XT clocked to PE
Old 18th January, 2005, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
I don't really understand how airflow wouldn't scale linearly, the heatsink still has the same conductive properties, high or low airflow

yes, but the air spends less time on the heatsink, so actually removes less heat, and can lead to scavenged air from the heatsink. My heatpipe works best when the fan is @ 3650rpm, but goes up to 4800, and in my case, it's because the fan ends up recycling alot or pre-heated air back inside the heatsink.
It's a delicate balance with heatpipes, because the temperature difference between the fluid at vapor or liquid is small, and the thermal properties are highly different between the 2 phases. It's part of the reason why the XP120's are so good...regardless of how much airflow, the side closest to the fan will always be coolest, and this is the side that is always furthest from the cpu. With almost every other heatpipe, the air is directed across the pipes, and rather than the hot point being at one end, it's in the middle.

Great right, because you kinda make for 4 heatpipes then, right?
Wrong. you still only have 2, with the hot point in the middle, leaving a shorter trail for the condensation phase to take place. This means that temperature difference between the 2 sides of the pipe should be equal for optimum cooling, and this is not the case, because the side closest to the fan ends up the coolest.
This is why gigabyte decided to use barrel fans in thier heatpipe heatsinks, as it might make for equal air dispersion accross all 4 ends of the pipes, thereby making it more efficient. The first design led to the air being drawn in a loop around the top of the heatsink, and was corrected by the 2 version, with a guide for the air, and a different fan.
Remember that there has to be that temperature difference between bothe the hot and cold points, or the heatpipe will not work. This is why i liked the hyper6, because you could use a fan on either side (now why becomes clear), and on either that one, or the thermaltake version, you can place a third on the top, (or one of those design!).
Old 18th January, 2005, 12:53 AM
Projector Wizard

This SilenX 80mm fan looks amazing!
http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_2534.html
X1800XT clocked to PE
Old 18th January, 2005, 01:06 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chernobyl
It seems better in most regards than most of the heatsinks I have seen.
I believe that you need good case airflow regardless, especially if the PC is going to last the Summer months. Using a super cooler with little case airflow is a pointless venture.
And comparing a watercooled rig to an air cooled one may be a bit biased!

AOA Team fah
Old 18th January, 2005, 01:09 AM
Projector Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazgoat
And comparing a watercooled rig to an air cooled one may be a bit biased!
Hehe is wasnt always watercooled.
I run a second 2500+ machine too which I use for some testing.
X1800XT clocked to PE