AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th January, 2005, 10:21 PM

Is this a good temp?

yo guys i just wanted to see if my CPU is cool i really dont know much about the temp stuff so i thought maybe u guys could tell me if its good because i am thiking of doing some CPU overclocking and want to make sure that i have a cool PC right now I use the program SilentTek to check my fan speeds CPU temp etc.
System Temp: 30C
CPU Temp: 13C
CPU Kernal Temp: 67.5
Old 19th January, 2005, 10:55 PM
Member/Contributer

I'm guessing the kernal temp is your core temp. 67 is quite high, your ok up to about 70 (unless it's an intel in which case you want to check the thermal throttle isn't coming into action) but if you want to overclock it won't help that you have such a high temp to start with
50-60 is much more acceptable
I don't know what that 13C temp is, unless your house relly is that cold

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th January, 2005, 12:57 AM

well i can send u a screenshot and see what i am talknig about
Attached Thumbnails
Is this a good temp?-untitled.jpg  
Old 20th January, 2005, 02:27 AM
Member/Contributer

is there a settings sapge which will tell you what sensors are being read for those readings?

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th January, 2005, 02:42 AM

i dont think so.
Old 20th January, 2005, 02:49 AM
Member/Contributer

what cpu and heatsink is it?

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 20th January, 2005, 03:54 AM

Fujikura i think. im not sure because my friends dad made a pc for me for some mone y i gave him. then i kinda got sick of it so i bought a new case ram IDE cables a whole ton of other stuff. basicly everything in my pc is new exept my my cpu and fan which he put on and my hard drives. the C hard drive came from the computer he build me and the D hard drive i found in a old pc in someones trash. i can also tell u its a p4 2.8GHz and socket 478
Old 20th January, 2005, 06:41 PM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

13 degrees! that cannot be right especially when your system temp is in the 30's...weird
Old 20th January, 2005, 06:51 PM
Member/Contributer

download this and see if the cpu is throttling http://files.aoaforums.com/code.php?file=2016

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 20th January, 2005, 07:04 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

uh, if you look at the last line...cpu kernel...68c is reported there.. more than likely just reading the wrong sensor.
Old 20th January, 2005, 07:20 PM
AOA Staff

In any case there is no guarantee that the readings from the temp sensor are accurate. It could be out by 10C or more, there again it could be bang on.

The readings are only useful for before and after type comparisons.

If you don't have an accurate probe, be sure to fit a cooler which is known to be good for overclocking on that CPU.
Old 20th January, 2005, 09:26 PM

the CPU THrottel is at 0
Old 20th January, 2005, 10:16 PM
Member/Contributer

0 when the cpu is at full load? I should have specified run a program like cpuburn or prime95 to get the cpu running at full load, if you did this already disregard.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 20th January, 2005, 11:07 PM

no. when i did it only 1 I-explorer was running and the usage was between 0-3 because the CPU was refrshing the silenttek thing. ill give it a try by running CS Source.
Old 20th January, 2005, 11:59 PM

no the throtteling stayed at 0 even after i switched from CSS to windows a few times.
Old 21st January, 2005, 12:06 AM
Member/Contributer

cs:s is more likely to be vid card limitted than cpu, try running the sisoft burn in wizard (sisoft sandra)

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah