AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th March, 2005, 12:51 PM

Bubble formation- air block at pump ???

Installed a Silent Stream cpu water cooler and mounted the finned and fanned radiator outside the cases at the same height as the prescott 2.8. Within days bubbles formed and shortly stopped the pump/waterblock combo
unit. Silent Stream suggests removing the unit, disconnecting ide cables, and using there setup jumper and button switch while rotating the pump to discharge air
into the filler tube. RIGHT twice a week?

Ready to install RMA #3. Any ideas to solve bubble problem? Resivoir to slow flow and release bubbles?
I am stuck with this P.O.S. until I can afford better.
Old 4th March, 2005, 01:12 PM

I use a swiftech H20-220 kit with a res that goes in the drive bay.

It has a stepped down bit where the suction line goes out and a Higher bit where the water comes back in, the step down makes sure bubbles that get dragged around the system are freed into the higher chamber and none get back in.

its the MCRES-525

http://www.swiftnets.com/products/MCRES-525.asp

it says

"Stepped down discharge compartment eliminates air entrainment into the pump: the powerful suction created by high-pressure high-flow pumps tend to create syphons in shallow reservoirs. The syphon entrains air bubbles into the pump inlet, causing it to cavitate. The stepped down compartment prevents this from occuring."

ABIT AN7 2500xp-m @ 2.8ghz (H20-220 WC) , 1GB Twinmos PC3200, Radeon 9800pro(XT flashed)

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd March, 2005, 07:30 AM

Thanks for tip. I couldn't imagine where the air was coming from.
I too, had decided on some kind of reservoir to slow the flow and
allow bubbles to rise. Silent Stream has no Reservior and none of
the reviewers bothered to let it run a couple days to cavitate out
of service. Bronx cheer for the Experts.
Old 23rd March, 2005, 10:28 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

To be honest, once you've eliminated most of the excess gas in the coolant, you shouldn't be seeing bubbles appearing, unless there's a tiny hole somewhere. I have seen instances where a hole is too small to allow the coolant out, but is big enough to allow the air in, especially if it's on the suction side of the pump.

Reservoirs should not be needed on a totally sealed system.
Old 9th April, 2005, 11:07 PM

I returned my silentstream on the basis that its design is flawed. I too had the same problem as you.

Get rid of it - its trouble.