AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th August, 2005, 10:35 PM
Member/Contributer

It was a bit of a fad that I don't remember lasting long because of the complications, was a good 4 years ago I remember reading about it

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th August, 2005, 11:26 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitain
This is the principle power station water cooling towers traditionally used. They've fallen out of favour in recent years due to the problems of Legionnaire's disease... To improve cooling, power plant cooling towers have a sort of wooden scaffold on them. This ensures the water forms a surface and actually evaporates, rather than just being entrained in the airflow and blowing out of the top of the stack.

You can do the same with a bunch of large diameter plastic washers.

If you build one of these, you'll need to keep it dosed with some sort of biocide, or change the water every 2 days.
That confirms what I always suspected. Bongs are bad for your health.
Old 26th August, 2005, 02:15 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Chesso

What's a cheap way of cooling the entire case decently? I like the sound of something custom and new if i had the money id experiment myself.
Old 26th August, 2005, 02:17 AM
Member/Contributer

For cooling the entire case your only option is sticking air thorugh it really, though it is possible to submerge it in oil but not too practicle

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 26th August, 2005, 02:32 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Put it in an air-conditioned room
Old 26th August, 2005, 02:49 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Chesso

But think of the electrical costs for an air conditioner lol.