AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th March, 2005, 08:55 PM

Finally managed to watercool my SLI

After a while ive finally managed to fit in some watercooling into my SLi rig, the 6800gt stock cooler were too noisy to what i was used to. I then tried 2 vga silencers but they didnt fit, then I bought 2 danger den maze4 gpu blocks. Then one of the 6800's died so I couldnt even test them, and then i got my replacment 6800gt to find it was a different type and wouldnt work in SLI LOL, anyway I got another yesterday and voila here were go
Attached Thumbnails
Finally managed to watercool my SLI-ddsli.jpg  
Old 15th March, 2005, 08:57 PM
Member/Contributer

Huzzah!

Any plans on cooling the memory?

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th March, 2005, 08:58 PM

only problem now is that i cant get a pipe to go from 1 card to the other without kinking, so ive got some elbow joints which im hoping to fit tomorrow.
Old 15th March, 2005, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
Huzzah!

Any plans on cooling the memory?
ive got some copper ocz ramsinks coming tomorrow too although Im not 100% sure they need it as I dont think dd3 really gets that hot???
Old 15th March, 2005, 09:01 PM
Member/Contributer

You coulda done with one of these

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews...lld19JRD0xMDQ5

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th March, 2005, 09:41 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Ya know, that would make a really 'cool' article.
Old 15th March, 2005, 09:47 PM
AOA Staff

Looks like a tight fit, but at least it does fit!

Is that inside your double-case?
Old 15th March, 2005, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
Looks like a tight fit, but at least it does fit!

Is that inside your double-case?
nope thats in the garage at the mo needs repainting
Old 15th March, 2005, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamGarside
they look great but theres no chance that would fir on the dfi
Old 15th March, 2005, 10:33 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

wow...not alot of room between the cards, eh? I wonder how much heat the two will dump into your loop...almost enough to have a dedicated system for! I am very interested to see how it all ends up! Copper elbows, or some UV reactive to go along with the DFI scheme?
Old 15th March, 2005, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
wow...not alot of room between the cards, eh? I wonder how much heat the two will dump into your loop...almost enough to have a dedicated system for! I am very interested to see how it all ends up! Copper elbows, or some UV reactive to go along with the DFI scheme?
blue plastic ones we'll see how much heat is dumped out, was not a lot last time with only one block on, im now running 1/2" sytem through out with a powerfull pump and dual rad with one vga block cpu never got over 40C CPU and VGA 42C and that was at 2.9ghz and 440 core

But yeah they are tight, in a way i wish i'd possibly gone with the asus board which has a dual space between the cards, but I doubt i could have clocked as high as with the dfi, currently got it running at 330HHT 4x
Old 15th March, 2005, 10:51 PM

you hitting the cpu first and then the gpu's, or the gpu's first? I've been waiting for a board i could cool the northbridge with water, but i have not seen many yet. 2 gpu's, a cpu, and northbridge should make for a good waterkit test rig. LoL. wonder how many watts i'd be dealing with? Or you, for that matter!
Attached Images

Old 15th March, 2005, 10:51 PM

Quote:
you hitting the cpu first and then the gpu's, or the gpu's first? I've been waiting for a board i could cool the northbridge with water, but i have not seen many yet. 2 gpu's, a cpu, and northbridge should make for a good waterkit test rig. LoL. wonder how many watts i'd be dealing with? Or you, for that matter!
cpu first then gpus, cant find one cool the chipset, but that doesnt get hot anyway :P
Old 15th March, 2005, 10:54 PM

have you tried the otherway to see what happens to the heat...lol nevermind, you proly haven't,seeing how you have two cards just now. I was wondering if in SLi it would make more sense to do the gpu's first, as thier combined heat is alot more than the cpu would put out...might allow for better vid clocks, maybe. Lots of possible tweaks in there.
Old 15th March, 2005, 11:01 PM

LOL no but not a bad idea, although im running short of pipe but may give that a go in the near future
Old 15th March, 2005, 11:02 PM

p.s. jsut seen those pics where they from?
Old 15th March, 2005, 11:08 PM

lol they are a y anda an elbow..uv reactive, from one of the suppliers i deal with. might suit your application, but i think coolsleeves or something might be better. You can always use zip-ties to bolster the areas a kink may appear...it's not very attractive visually, but sometimes 1/2 inch pipe means you have no choice. I just converted the exos to half-inchand ran into a similar problem as yours. I am looking for a more permanent solution, like you are, but i think i'm going with all bends being elbows, etc.
Old 15th March, 2005, 11:23 PM
Member/Contributer

I would run through the gpu's first, seeing as you see the biggest performance benefit from overclocking those than the cpu

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 15th March, 2005, 11:30 PM

performance in gaming, but not everyone's needs have that as a priority.

Bradmax..that was the reason for me waiting fora southbridge that could be watercooled..put the southbridge between the two cards. you might warm the northbridge a bit, but i don't think that doing that would hurt it any...what's the lowest max temp you'ce seen for any silicon out recently? Most northbridges are far cooler than that.

The "y" to link both cards, but i had the idea of slowing the flow over the vidcards to let the water spend a bit more time there.
Old 16th March, 2005, 12:01 AM

Quote:
performance in gaming, but not everyone's needs have that as a priority.

Bradmax..that was the reason for me waiting fora southbridge that could be watercooled..put the southbridge between the two cards. you might warm the northbridge a bit, but i don't think that doing that would hurt it any...what's the lowest max temp you'ce seen for any silicon out recently? Most northbridges are far cooler than that.

The "y" to link both cards, but i had the idea of slowing the flow over the vidcards to let the water spend a bit more time there.
uh i wasnt aware there was even a north bridge on this board :P anyway the Y link to the 2 cards might not be a bad idea