AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st March, 2005, 05:53 PM

Send a message via MSN to subseb

Intergrated water cooling

Hey I was looking at water cooling my PC, I currently have an XP2700 (2166Mhz) thoroughbred-b, running at 2337Mhz (14 x 166FSB, 1.75Vcore, 55 degrees full load), but thats as far as it will go. I was thinking if I could get the temps down to a few degrees then maybe I can get more out of it, and make some insane overclock to say 2.75 or ideally 3Ghz. The motherboard on the KT600 chipset can do much more, and the cpu needs a boost.

manufacturer homepage:
http://www.qtec.info/products/product.htm?artnr=13793

review:
http://www.informanews.net/scripts/article.php/93.htm

its in french so use this to transalte the site:
http://www.freetranslation.com/web.htm

Anyway what I noticed was a cheap intergrated water based cpu cooler. It fits in the 5.25 inch bay, but I plan to run it external to stop heating the pc case. Has anyone else had any experience of this device. The cooler has been reviewed lightly and seems to run at near room temperature normally. It seems very very simple, and I was wondering with the addition of a peltier if I could get nearer zero degrees.

I am really interested in how much heat the water cooling kit and get rid of. Since it would have to cope with the heat generated from the pelt itself in addition to the cpu heat. Any suggestions for this would be appreciated. It seems worth a go, and if the kit cant handle the heat then I can always take it back, the documentation doesn't mention anything about pelts, he he he.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st March, 2005, 06:23 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

I've got to say that it doesn't look like it's really up to that much. I suspect that a good air cooler might well do the same job. The pump onboard is a bit on the light side (18.5GPH), and I've no idea about the radiator...

My suspicion is that it would handle peltiers very badly...
Old 21st March, 2005, 07:14 PM
AOA Staff

I think you'd be better off with something like:
http://www.chillblast.com/customer/p...roductid=16499

You can always upgrade components as needed.
Old 21st March, 2005, 07:53 PM
AOA Staff

those all in one bay-res units are more of a gimmik me thinks
Old 21st March, 2005, 09:13 PM

hmm I was thinking of introducing a voltage controller into the setup, so I could control the voltage of the peliter. This should allow me to regulate how much heat is transported away from the cpu, I dont wont to overload the water cooler nor do I want to freeze the cpu, just get it to a couple of degrees, this will probably take so experimentation unless its thermostatically controlled. I could probably program a PIC for this.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st March, 2005, 09:25 PM
Steve Jobs

keep in mind the heat involved in a peltier. A watercooler like that may not be up to dissipating more than 150W of heat, while even with a modest peltier, your heat output is going to be over 250W. Peltiers in a weak water system ADD to overheating and can triple your computer's heat output easily. By the way, its a good idea to stay away from anything that is called "integrated" as its marketing slang for cheaply made badly designed built in component.
Running Fedora 15 Linux (GNOME 3)
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Drivers, Games, Demos, Mods and Overclocking Tools At AOAFiles
Old 21st March, 2005, 10:35 PM

Umm ok, after reading all the posts I will make my own system. Unfortunately I dont have a four bolt mounting on the cpu that a lot of cpu blocks use, so I cant use the kit suggested by Danrochttp://www.chillblast.com/customer/p...roductid=16499)

I will probably just try using a basic pump, maybe make my own reservoir to fill the 85mm square hole in the top of my wavemaster case. Anyone know where I can get some plastics and glues for such a thing in the uk. Bearing in mind I am a poor student, any help would be appreciated.
Old 21st March, 2005, 10:39 PM
AOA Staff

You don't actually need a res, a piece of verticle tubing with a bung in the top of it is all that is needed. I think Aedan uses and recommends this method.
Old 22nd March, 2005, 12:01 PM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
You don't actually need a res, a piece of verticle tubing with a bung in the top of it is all that is needed. I think Aedan uses and recommends this method.
The bung and pipe method is an extremely effective idea. At one stage i was using this $60 bleed/fill resovoir that looked extremely cool with UV reactive dye in it, and was good in theory, but was a complete pile of crap. I had to drag the stupid thing out of the case each time i filled or refilled the thing, as no matter how well designed it is, only the brave and stupid fill INSIDE their cases, and it spilt regularly.

I was turned onto the pipe and bung method, and it was so much easier, not to mention cheaper. I used a pair of butterfly clamps to securely attach it to my DVD burner's rounded IDE cable to keep it upright and out of trouble. When it needed filling, two flicks and it was loose, hanging 30 CM OUTSIDE of the case where it was easy to funnel fill the pipe.

Sometimes the best ideas are the cheapest!

Old Res below _
Attached Thumbnails
Intergrated water cooling-rez.jpg  
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 22nd March, 2005, 12:22 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Basically, all you need is somewhere to allow the liquid to expand a bit as well as somewhere for any trapped air to bubble up into.
Old 22nd March, 2005, 11:00 PM
Member/Contributer

thats the res i use, just need the right funnel
Old 22nd March, 2005, 11:23 PM
Steve Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeroHouR
thats the res i use, just need the right funnel
O yea? well your res sucks!

i tried a funnel, i tried a funnel with a pipe on it, i tried the petrol siphoning method, but all i got was spills spills spills.

Luckily i dont have any cards below my Audigy 2 with is in slot 3 else they would have been dowsed. Designed by a damned comedian that thing was. It borked itself on the floor when i finally got so frustrated with it that i lost my temper. God that thing sucked!

you must be quite a contortionist LOL.
Dual Dell 2407WFP
AOA Team fah

Old 23rd March, 2005, 01:07 AM
Member/Contributer

gotta go to the right target to get the right funnel i guess