AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd March, 2005, 08:33 AM

Just got a CM AquaGate

I picked up a CoolerMaster AquaGate today and a CM Stacker case. The case is fantastic. I have the AquaGate hooked up and my machine idling now, the water temperature is hovering around 22oC. I couldn't get the damn thing to boot up without beeping and shutting down initially and I thought it might be the cpu temp sensor so I just taped it to the top of the unit for now, since my BIOS has auto-shutdown if the cpu overheats.

Initial thoughts: the unit is much smaller than I expected, the hoses are smaller diameter than I expected, and the instructions suck. There's no troubleshooting guide, and no description of what the different beep codes mean. Also, the unit will leak if you tilt it too much from horizontal. I don't know if it is supposed to do this or not, but it will be a pain as I usually like to put the case on its side when I work inside the computer. I'm assuming maybe it has a vent in the top of the coolant reservoir? It is very very quiet which is pretty cool.

Can't wait to see how the unit keeps up when I put the cpu under load tomorrow.
Old 23rd March, 2005, 05:01 PM
Member/Contributer

wow for a second when you said the unit was smaller than you expected, I thought you meant the stacker. I have one sitting next to me, and when my back's to it I get the feeling like someone is standing right behind me, its huge! rofl

The stacker is a big case, I have 0 problems working on mine standing upright, and its on the floor, but if you must tip it, I'd suggest gettin a tube of silicon 2 from the hardware store and sealing where it leaks from, unless its a filling cap or something, then you might not want to since its perm. Otherwise try to fit a washer or use that white plumbing tape that seals off threads.
Try to see where the leak is coming from, then we might be able to work this out
Old 23rd March, 2005, 05:38 PM
AOA Staff

Seems odd that it leaks when tilted. Normally, w/c systems are sealed otherwise you may lose coolant through evaporation even when it is horizontal/level.

Keep us updated with it...
Old 24th March, 2005, 12:04 AM

Yeah, it is actually leaking from inside the unit, not the connections for the hoses. I'm not sure what is not sealed. I thought maybe there is an internal vent or something. I will have to look and see if the housing can be taken off.

I also bought a Zalman vga cooler water block, but it looks like it takes 1/2" tubing, so I need to get some adapters somewhere, maybe home depot.

I'm not sure yet if it will provide any advantage under load, but it is a cool toy