AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th March, 2005, 03:06 AM

Temp. on new P4 EM64T

I got a little problem with my cpu stock cooler, and now It´s reading around 62 oC in loading time. Is this normal, or should I replace the cooler?
Old 24th March, 2005, 03:10 AM
Member/Contributer

Yup thats about normal for a Prescott core, they run very hot, it's safe up to around 70°C, and remember those readouts are usually a bit inaccurate, sometimes up to 10°C
Download throttlewatch from the files section and run it whilest running something that keeps the cpu at full load, if it detects any thermal throttling then you have a problem, if not then you are ok.
Replacing the cooler may not be a bad idea if you can afford it and feel up to it. If it will fit on your motherboard then the Thermalright XP120 is the best cooler for a prescott, if it doesn't then the XP90 is the next best thing.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th April, 2005, 12:56 PM

you will find that the prescott can take up to 90c as when i was setting up my frist intel system 3.2gig i did not put the heat seek on right and it cut out on me at 92c ops!!! i let it cool down and made sure the heat seek was on right this time and it was fine!!!!still running hot around 60c. i like my amd64 3800 runs at 33c with stock cooler thats cooler then my 3200xp set up !!!!!! cool or what!!!

sabertooth 990FX
amd FX8350 @4.2ghz
16GB 1600mhz hyperX ram
AMD HD7970 3GB asus DCPC graphics
hyperX 120GB SSD
WD 320GB hard drive
1TB,500GB working over usb3
corsair HX850 psu
aerocool cyclone black case
window 8.1
asus monitor 24" 1920x1200 res.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th April, 2005, 02:15 PM
Member/Contributer

They can but when they reach around 70°C they throttle

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah