AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th March, 2005, 07:32 PM
Simon Champion, 3D Car Driver Champion, Taz's Dance Fever Champion, Arcanoid Champion, Simpsons Shooter Champion, Break in the Crowd Champion, Mad Shark Champion, Quad Champion, Super Flash Mario Bros. Champion

suck or blow?

hi ppl,
i have had to put a fan on my graphics card heatsink to try and keep it cooler, after reading through the forums um not sure it is on right.
at the mo i have it blowing onto the heatsink, would i get better cooling if i had it sucking the heat off the heatsink??????
Old 28th March, 2005, 08:04 PM
AOA Staff

Blow!

Also, ensure that there's good airflow through the case.
Old 28th March, 2005, 10:12 PM

Regarding the title of this post...

So many jokes...so little bandwidth.
Old 18th April, 2005, 03:26 PM

i must say i have never heard of a pc fan blowing the heat away can it be done ?

sabertooth 990FX
amd FX8350 @4.2ghz
16GB 1600mhz hyperX ram
AMD HD7970 3GB asus DCPC graphics
hyperX 120GB SSD
WD 320GB hard drive
1TB,500GB working over usb3
corsair HX850 psu
aerocool cyclone black case
window 8.1
asus monitor 24" 1920x1200 res.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th April, 2005, 03:32 PM
Member/Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to keithwalton Send a message via MSN to keithwalton Send a message via Yahoo to keithwalton

Blow! higher peak velocity over the fins so greater forced convection effect.

Sasrob : Think about a cpu heatsink fan arrangement, and then the penny shall drop
Old 18th April, 2005, 03:40 PM
Member/Contributer

8 times out of 10 blowing onto the heatsink is best, but in some situations, sucking is best, the only way to be sure is to test both

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th April, 2005, 03:43 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Blow. The sort of fans used in computers like to have a lot of air at their inlet. When you push or pull air through an obstruction, its pressure drops. This means that in a "suck" arrangement, you have less air at the fan inlet, move less air, move less heat and see greater temperatures. Search the forums for the math answer. I wrote one about 3 years ago...
Old 18th April, 2005, 03:56 PM

really have to have it blowing into the heat seek as this will beat the heat down but if u have it blowing away from the heat seek it's going to get very hot as there is nothing to stop the heat from building up around the cpu all you would be doing is takeing the heat from the sides of the heat seek leaveing the cpu to get hotter!!!!!

sabertooth 990FX
amd FX8350 @4.2ghz
16GB 1600mhz hyperX ram
AMD HD7970 3GB asus DCPC graphics
hyperX 120GB SSD
WD 320GB hard drive
1TB,500GB working over usb3
corsair HX850 psu
aerocool cyclone black case
window 8.1
asus monitor 24" 1920x1200 res.
Old 18th April, 2005, 07:25 PM
AOA Staff (should be working)

Send a message via ICQ to dod Send a message via Yahoo to dod

Just to be cantankerous, the Alpha 8045 used to perform better when it was sucking the air That's the only one I can think of which was designed to work like that.
Old 26th April, 2005, 09:03 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

test both suck and blow? this isn't a party for randy teenagers you know.

But yeah, it usually is best to blow cool air onto the heatsink. By doing this, you will take cool air onto the heatsink and then it will escape in the space between the fins at the ends. Plus what all 'those lot' above me said.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Old 27th April, 2005, 12:35 AM
Member/Contributer

I've found that if you have a low speed fan, and let the cpu get hot for the purposes of keeping it quiet, that the surrounding components benefit from the fan sucking, rather than blowing very hot air onto them.
For instance my celeron d system, I have the fan setup so that the cpu reaches 60°C at full load, now blowing air onto the heatsink causes the surrounding mosfets and the northbridge to reach close to 70°C, but sucking keeps them around 40°C

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 27th April, 2005, 07:57 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

hmm, when i was fiddling around with my system a while back, i wondered which would be best. If there is anything you should know it is this; find what's best for your system and what suits your needs. Obviously, unless you have bought a specific heatsink for your graphics card, don't go messing with the fan (if it has one) as you could cause damage permanantly because they have been designed by experts, and they're made to look nice by the design team so you really don't want that almost naked chick on your heatsink looking like maggie thatcher vs terminator do you? But yeah, it is really what suits your system. Some points to take into consideration are the ambient temperature of the room, how much air from outside you can get into the room and anything such as curtains which can insulate heat inside the room.

HTH

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Old 19th May, 2005, 11:25 PM

blow
ATi X1950XTX 512 CrossFire
Triple WD Raptor 10k HDDs@ raid 0
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PHD7UY
50" Panasonic Plasma TH50PH9UK
BetterCable SilverSerpent SVGA & DVI-D
Sony BWU-100A Blu-Ray PC Drive

p4 - superPi - 31 sec.
pM - superPi - 28 sec.
conroe - superPi - 14 sec.
Old 20th May, 2005, 12:08 AM

Send a message via MSN to Samuknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by skool h8r
test both suck and blow?

I agree test both....This can depend on case config fan speed and so on. So try, try again and see which suits your setup....
Old 28th May, 2005, 10:19 PM

Send a message via MSN to ichorid

my look at the question:

..............|...........
\.............v........./
`\...........|....... /
``\.........v....../
```\............./
````\______/
`````|_FAN_| (arrows showing airflow)
`````|....|....|
`````|....v....|
`````|...........|
`````|............|

everyone see where im coming from? the air blown out is much more focussed than the air sucked in... sucking takes the air from a large area, so it is moving at a lower speed, but blowing gives less spread so the air moves faster, giving better cooling!

admittedly yes, the alpha 8045 did work beter sucking... dont ask me why!

(and alright its not very clear.. but it is just me or did it used to recognise whitespace? are the posts read as html now?)
Old 28th May, 2005, 10:43 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichorid

admittedly yes, the alpha 8045 did work beter sucking... dont ask me why!
The alphas have a shroud so that only a small space right at the base of the HSF is used as an inlet for air. This causes the coolest air to hit the hotest part of the HSF first. If you were to take the shroud off then it would work better blowing but still not as good as sucking with the shroud on.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.