AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 31st March, 2005, 10:09 PM
Member/Contributer

Heatpipe's cousin

http://www.nanocoolers.com/technology_liquid.php
aaannnd discuss!
Old 31st March, 2005, 10:15 PM
AOA Staff

Good find! No moving parts sounds good.
Old 31st March, 2005, 11:25 PM

Send a message via MSN to WonderBread Send a message via Yahoo to WonderBread

are there any samples out there to show how well it will work?

if so, how much is it gonna cost?
Old 31st March, 2005, 11:27 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Sounds Expensive. what metal would they use?
Old 1st April, 2005, 03:49 AM

Send a message via MSN to Rondog

Quote:
gallium, an element that melts at 29.76° Celsius (85.57° Fahrenheit)......alloy that contains gallium, indium, and tin, and melts at -20° Celsius (-4° Fahrenheit)
Gallium boils at 2403°C, so it could be gallium, but more likely to be an alloy of gallium, becuase gallium is a solid at room temperature, it would need to be liquid at about 0°C to allow for more lower temps therefore higher clocks.

^Year 11 Chemistry^
| |

Rig 1: Intel Core i5 750,4gb,HD6870,500gb,W7 Ult x64
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st April, 2005, 04:09 AM
Member/Contributer

wouldn't putting it under pressure change the melting point? so if it were pressurized in that thing, couldn't it be liquid at a diff temp?
Old 1st April, 2005, 04:24 AM

Dude, im 16, that goes beyond what ive learnt this year in chemistry. I suppose it would be possible, as air flow is different under pressure, as are many other things.

Wait, no, melting/freezing/boiling points are the same regardless of pressure, what would happen (assuming its galliuim) that under pressure it would liquify (pressure generates heat). Thats only a guess, but yeah, it could be a liquid in the pipes, but more that likely, it would be a compoung containing galliumand something else. Not sure what though, I guess we'll find out. I would have said mercury, except for the fact that it is toxic. Any other chemists here?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st April, 2005, 05:03 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Increasing pressure increases the boiling point; decreasing pressure decreases the boiling point. I believe this is a consequence of the First Law of Thermodynamics.
Old 1st April, 2005, 05:07 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

lower pressure makes it easier for the molucules to spread apart, hence absorbing the heat, where as when they are more compact, it will take more engery to push them apart.
Old 1st April, 2005, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
Increasing pressure increases the boiling point; decreasing pressure decreases the boiling point. I believe this is a consequence of the First Law of Thermodynamics.
LoL, I havent got that far yet. Currently we are testing certain properties of many metals to find ways to make really lightweight really strong metals or flexible metals that dont break easily etc etc.

Our beaker/test-tube death count is higher than Pitch's pile of broken hardware. Courtesy of experiments with Potassium and Sodium.

Old 1st April, 2005, 07:20 PM

It would have to be mercury. It's the only metal that I know of that is liquid at room temperature. Toxic as hell, though, so there'd have to be a disclaimer telling you not to lick it or ever mess with it.
Old 1st April, 2005, 10:16 PM
Member/Contributer

I think we should leave those kinds of warnings off everything. Darwin would be proud...
Old 1st April, 2005, 10:37 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondog
LoL, I havent got that far yet. Currently we are testing certain properties of many metals to find ways to make really lightweight really strong metals or flexible metals that dont break easily etc etc.

Our beaker/test-tube death count is higher than Pitch's pile of broken hardware. Courtesy of experiments with Potassium and Sodium.

Mix up some Ceasium with Flourine.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 2nd April, 2005, 05:51 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
Not sure about being a consequence of the First Law. As it's a change of phase, there's some fun with entropy to take into consideration too. Mind, it's been a fair while since I read that chapter

For those not willing to go into detail: a liquid will boil when its vapour pressure equals the ambient pressure. At all temperatures, a liquid remains in equilibrium with its vapour as a function of its volatility. Water at 0 altitude and 100ºC has a vapour pressure of 1 bar, so it boils. At 50ºC it has a vapour pressure of about 600 millibar. This is why it's hard to get a warm cuppa up a mountain, where that is the ambient air pressure.

Note that this corelation only holds for liquids and gases, not for solids. A solid will remain thus regardless of pressure - except in a hard vacuum where they ablate gradually.

Mercury is the most likely liquid - as a ferromagnetic metal it would also be most amenable to those EM pumps, as well.
Old 2nd April, 2005, 06:18 AM

I would say it is mercury too except they state it is an environmently friendly metal. Mercury is not. There are two metal I know of that are liquid at room temperature. Mercury and Gallium.

Ceasium and Flourine. Got it!

Old 13th April, 2005, 06:23 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to RussianMissile1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitch
Mix up some Ceasium with Flourine.

Mmmmmmmm......
Old 13th April, 2005, 03:33 PM
AOA Staff

whatever that stuff is, I need about a gallon of it pronto!!
Old 13th April, 2005, 06:25 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

A glimps into the future.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 13th April, 2005, 06:34 PM
AOA Staff

I reckon they're just using eskimo pee, renouned for its cooling ability and minty flavour!
Old 13th April, 2005, 09:09 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

yum! Has anybody thought that it may be mercury and gallium? or fluorine and gallium? I'll take a look around, sure i can find something. If i can't i'm sure my dad will know, he knows a bit about that kind of stuff. Maybe it's some new-age metal, could be from space (the aliens are back, probing cloaster's neighbours again because they don't have AOA case badges).

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)