AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th April, 2005, 04:56 AM

conflicting temp monitors

i was wondering if you guys could help me decide which of my temp monitors is more accurate. i just installed a water cooler because with the stock hsf the computer was always running 68 C or higher underload and 49 C at idle. the water cooler has dropped my temps considerably but the motherboard sensor and the water cooler sensor are telling different temps. at idle the water cooler is showing 36 C and the mb cpu sensor is showing 42 C and underload the cooler is showing 48 C and the mb cpu sensor is 56 C. i have the sensor for the water cooler on the socket right next to the cpu under the water block. the book said not to touch it to the cpu but get it as close as possible, which i don't think i could get much closer. the main board is an epox 8kda3i and the cooler is a evercool wdc 202. i've felt the water block on the cpu and its warm but not near hot. the gpu water block is considerbly warmer but still not "hot". just need some input.
Old 17th April, 2005, 06:07 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

How does your water block mount?!?!? Did you use some AS? (artic silver)
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th April, 2005, 07:33 AM

it mounts with a bracket the goes across the block and screws onto the stock plastic fan mount on the board. i didn't use arctic silver i used the stuff that came with it. says 10% silver on the tube.
Old 17th April, 2005, 10:29 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Ok HOW tight did you set the screws?!?!
Rob
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th April, 2005, 04:59 PM

they are pretty tight. not as tight as they could be. didn't want to break the board or hurt the core.
Old 17th April, 2005, 06:04 PM
AOA Staff

Well, since you said that the block was warm, I'm pretty sure it's proabably seated correcty and doing it's job.
Rob
AOA Team fah
Old 17th April, 2005, 06:25 PM

it seems to be working really well. i'm just not sure if the which of the temp sensors is more accurate. like right now at idle the cooler says 36 C and the cpu says 43 C. i've been reading alot about motherboard sensors being inaccurate and i'm not sure if the 8kda3i is one of those inaccurate boards.
Old 17th April, 2005, 06:44 PM
AOA Staff

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. Just set your bios to shut down if the temp reaches over 53c and all should be fine.

I've had my water setup running 24/7 for the past two years. I came home one day to find my computer was OFF. Turns out the pump died, so the bios did what it was suppose to do and shut the system down.
Rob
AOA Team fah
Old 17th April, 2005, 09:36 PM

alright man thanx for the help i'll check to see what i have my shutdown temp at. hopefully it lasts me a few years
Old 18th April, 2005, 01:44 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyrulez
i was wondering if you guys could help me decide which of my temp monitors is more accurate.
Actually both. Your motherboard's sensor should be taking its value from a diode embedded in the CPU core. It's only accurate to about +/- 2ºC but that's near enough to determine that it's "OK" or "too hot". Your watercooling circuit will probably use either a thermistor (cheap) or thermocouple (not cheap) with a more accurate temperature transmitter. It will be mounted at a distance away from the actual heat source, though, so will display a lower temperature. My guess is it's actually monitoring the coolant outlet temperature, hence the 8ºC delta.