AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th April, 2005, 12:12 AM

Send a message via MSN to WonderBread Send a message via Yahoo to WonderBread

Mcx462-v

Got this today and put it on w/ AS5 and my tornado and the temps are up 3c more than w/ my Tt SilentBoost HS

whats the deal?
Old 27th April, 2005, 12:20 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

3c is within margin of error in paste application. try re-applying the paste. Ther could be an issue with your airflow as well.
Old 27th April, 2005, 12:25 AM
Member/Contributer

is the fan slower than the "silent" boost?

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th April, 2005, 12:49 AM

nope, same exact Vantec Tornado
Old 27th April, 2005, 12:53 AM
Member/Contributer

Had you lapped the silentboost? They are quite good thin fin copper units, it's just the base which lets them down.
Other than that I'd say it's just the new AS application thats to blame, within a week or so you may well see those temps level out, or not if the weather is getting warmer, I know here in the uk we've just had a sudden increase in temps over the last few days, added a good 3-4°C to all my temps

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th April, 2005, 12:59 AM

never did anything to the Tt, but i did have the fan outside the case w/ a Pringles can acting as a duct to the heatsink. Now i have the fan inside the case with no duct. Case temp is 32-35c

I'll try a couple of things later but right now i have to go to Fry's to get a new Router YAY!
Old 27th April, 2005, 02:35 AM
Member/Contributer

So you had air from outside the case being ducted to theheatsink that you now don't have? This seems the most obvious cause, proably along with a new AS application

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 27th April, 2005, 03:21 AM

well, theres still the hole in the acrillic window where air is still being sucked in so i dont see why there is a rise temp difference when i put in a "better" HS
Old 27th April, 2005, 03:22 AM
Member/Contributer

I suppose the only way to rule it out would be to test the same duct you had with the thermaltake to see if there is any differance

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 27th April, 2005, 05:10 AM

i semi tested it by sticking the duct through the whole in the window.......it dropped the temps by 1c so i think it is something else i did wrong, im doing my HW right now, but after i will reseat the HS and see what happens
Old 27th April, 2005, 07:11 AM

im starting to cry 'tear'..........sniff, sniff............i dont know what to do temps are the same after reseating 48-49c w/ fan on low........46-47c w/ fan on screaming high.

these temps are when the cpu is IDLE
Old 27th April, 2005, 09:58 AM
Member/Contributer

sounds like a bad AS application then, how did you clean the surfaces between installation?

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 27th April, 2005, 06:02 PM

isopropyl and Q-tips
Old 27th April, 2005, 07:32 PM

I took the temp sensor of my case and stuck it inbetween the HSF and CPU(next to the core) and the temps are 8-10c cooler than what is reported by MBM5, or is it b/c the sensor is next to the core it just seems cooler
Old 28th April, 2005, 01:11 AM
Member/Contributer

it probably a combination of inaccurate readings and the differance in temp between an onboard diode and the thermal sensor

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 28th April, 2005, 02:08 PM
Member/Contributer

Dont get too hung up about the slight difference in temperature, though I'm sure teh Swifftech cost more!
My temps have gone up significantly over the past few days, 60C'ish now and thats with watercooling! Something may be up but so far nothing has crashed so I'm not too worried.

AOA Team fah