AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th May, 2005, 02:35 PM
AOA Staff

Thermaltake Rocket Silent Liquid Cooling

The Rocket:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/i...d=403&Itemid=2

Anyone tried one?
Old 7th May, 2005, 03:30 PM
Member/Contributer

I've read a bit on those. I've read that they provide slightly better than air with absoulte silence. I'm to understand they are quite nice, if you don't plan on lanning. And if you have more money than pitch has had to pay in new parts(meaning you have LOTS of money to spare <3 pitch, you're the forums whipping boy about it at this point )
Old 7th May, 2005, 03:49 PM
AOA Staff

I can see passive liquid cooling becoming more popular given that new CPU cores can overclock well at low voltages.

I prefer the look of the Zalman to this one.
Old 7th May, 2005, 03:51 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Don't like it at all..good for winter...stick it outside. my active watercooling doesn't do it...how can passive?
Old 7th May, 2005, 04:26 PM
Member/Contributer

They aren't absolutely silent, the pump will still make noise, but you are looking at <20db which will likely be as low or lower than any ambient noise

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th May, 2005, 04:27 PM

Those pumps are pretty quiet..i cannot hear mine, even with no fans going.
Old 7th May, 2005, 04:31 PM
AOA Staff

Sub-pumps are good for low noise. The water in the res will absorb most of the sound energy.
Old 7th May, 2005, 04:33 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
Don't like it at all..good for winter...stick it outside. my active watercooling doesn't do it...how can passive?
Sorry, do what with what?
Old 7th May, 2005, 06:02 PM

Put the "rocket" outside in the cold.
Old 7th May, 2005, 10:53 PM

or in a small frezzer that would do the trick
Old 8th May, 2005, 01:20 AM
Member/Contributer

You would probably overload a freezer putting a constant source of heat in there, I'm not 100% on that but they are designed to bring inert objects down in temperature and keep them there, something actively producing heat within a confinded space would probably not work to well, though I may well be wrong.

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th May, 2005, 01:11 PM
AOA Staff

You would need some airflow in the freezer. In any case you would have problems with condensation in your PC unless you insulate all the tubes, blocks, etc.
Old 15th May, 2005, 01:26 AM

Rocket Blowout

Just installed one of these. There appears to be a design problem. They have designed a clamp to hold in the refill stopper, presumably to stop it blowing off. A couple of reviews have mentioned additional clips for two unused outlets on the pump (more later). Apparently if you don't fit these the caps blow off when the system heats up. No instructions to that effect, but fortunately I read the reviews before mine got too hot. However, after a couple of hours of working and with the temperature up to 46 C the pump itself gave out under the pressure. Clearly the top half is just a refill reservoir and not intended to take pressure. Putting the clamp on the plug transferred the problem to the extra outlets. Putting the clamps on the outlets trandferred the problem to the next weakest link, the glued joint at the top. It's the weekend and I need to keep going so I have temporarily put some silicon on the leaking joint, and added a reservoir tank, (like the overflow tank on a car) with a tube leading from one of the extra outlets, this seems to have solved the problem at least in an untidy way as there are no longer pools of coolant in the bottom of my case.
Cooling wise it's fine it brought down the temperature from 53 to 46 and the sound of the fan is gone (the pump is virtually inaudible).

System details. The cpu is an XP 2600 running at 2300MHz 5% overvoltage. The previous cooler was a thermalright SI-97 with a zalman fan at 2000rpm.