AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th May, 2005, 11:20 PM

What is going on?? I need some help!!

Okay so here's the deal I was just f-ing around with my comp- cleaning up
wires, trying for better airflow, installed a new Ultra x-connect PSU ( I got it free from a friend). So I decided to update the BIOS on my ASUS P5AD2-Deluxe mobo-- from 1001 to 1007-- it's been a while. Now all of a sudden my CPU has gone from idle temps of around 40- to MAX 50c and now it's idling at 55c and that's the lowest. It's usually around 57c and at load it hit 73c today. 73 FREAKIN degrees. I don't know what happened. I checked and checked BIOS settings to see if anyting was changed and I swear it's the same as before. I am so bumed too because after I spent several hours cleaning up and organizing the cables the CPU had started to run SO much cooler like in the mid-30's c idiling. Anyway it's a P4 3.4 prescott LGA 775 with stock HSF. Does anyone know what this is or have any suggestions? I have had to go back to completly stock setting on my FSB to keep temps down low enough so it's stable. Ambient temps are the same as they have been- all the fans are working. I am stumped. PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 12th May, 2005, 12:25 AM

Hard to say what's wrong without any pics of your current setup inside. Maybe you blocked an air passage. Could also be a temp bug in the current bios? Could be the different PSU? So many variables at work here.
40 gig WD
1 gig 3200
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th May, 2005, 12:25 AM

Talking

did you reseat the Cooler (and/or CPU) ?

1] ... Athlon XP2500+ Barton @ 3000+ & 512 MB RAM WinXP
2] ... Athlon XP2500+ Barton @ 3100+ & 1024 MB RAMWin2k
3] ... Athlon XP2500+ Mobile Barton @ 3200+ & 512 MB RAM WinXP
4&5] Athlon A64X2 3800+ @ 2.6 GHz (~ 5000+) & 2x 1024 MB RAM running @ 237 MHz WinXP

All folding 24/7
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th May, 2005, 12:28 AM

Does the new PSU have the same amount of fans as the old one? My Enermax gives me twice the amount of airflow as my old PSU.
40 gig WD
1 gig 3200
Old 12th May, 2005, 12:36 AM

EDIT-- this new PSU I don't think has quite as good of airflow I do have to say, old PSU was Antec trueblue 480 the new one is 500W ultra x-connect. But like I wrote down below for 2 days after installing PSU the CPU ran cooler! AHHHH I'm gonna go crazy.....

Didn't touch the CPU or cooler. I've gone back through and checked all the fans and everything is the same, the all are spinning and moving lots of air, including the heatsink. The thing about the new PSU is that there was a 2 day delay between installing it and flashing the BIOS. In that time the computer ran cooler than it had before- I think due to the massive cable cleanup I undertook. I am going to try flashing the BIOS back to what it was and see if that helps but if it doesn't I am totally clueless. It is the first time I have really experienced what I have read so many times about the Prescott's, namely heat is a HUGE issue. Well I guess it's good my new AMD comptuer that I'm buliding is almost here. Just waiting on one more part and then I will embark on a building project that should be real cool. Anyway if someone has any suggestions please let me know.
There are only a couple of things that are actually different than before-- new PSU and this PSU doesn't have a fan header to connect to the MOBO for monitioring and also I f*^#ed up a cable to the rear exhaust fan that had been connected to a switch at the front of the case for controlling it's speed. However, when shorted it's supposed to operate at full speed and so that's what I did and am pretty sure it is close to maxed out on RPM's. OH and one last thing I don't know if it's all based on the same sensors or not by I have 4 different programs giving me the same reading for the CPU- not just the BIOS reading, but like I said I guess it could be the same sensor. Thanks for all the help and sorry for the lengthy post--- just trying to explain everything in detail to aviod confusion. Thanks!!
Old 12th May, 2005, 12:40 AM

Exclamation

You should read up on the reflashing first.

It 's a big jump back from 1007 to 1001 and I 've read that in many cases that can give problems if it ain't done right ...

Maybe do a Google or ask around here on the forums ...

And you 're never sure that all the new stuff is overwritten !

4&5] Athlon A64X2 3800+ @ 2.6 GHz (~ 5000+) & 2x 1024 MB RAM running @ 237 MHz WinXP

All folding 24/7
Old 12th May, 2005, 12:47 AM

Listen to these guys stephenraraport. The AOA crew are the best. If anyone out there can help, it's these boys. By the way, i'm not a flameboy LOL.
40 gig WD
1 gig 3200
Old 12th May, 2005, 12:57 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Load of 73c for a prescott is about right.(max 50c is completely unbelievable unless you are running high end water.)
I suspect the old bios was wildly off in the temp reading and so many people complained that they adjusted it.

I'm running a prescott overclocked to 3.6 w/ an SLK948U + 9cm SF2 @ 3900rpm... I'm running 65c at the moment.
Old 12th May, 2005, 03:07 PM

Ok so after a lot of trial and error last night here is where I stand. I went back to the original BIOS version of 1001. Then I went back up one update at a time but found that with the first revision, 1002, the same thing happened. Load temps of around 70-75c. So I am currently at the original BIOS now. I don't really see a problem with this since I am having no problems or compatability problems right now. There are some features that are nice with the newer BIOS versions, mostly that I have the option of changing the multiplier from 17 to 14 but since even at stock FSB I am at max temps I don't think this matter much. I suppose it could be an improper reading of the temps by the BIOS and that the newer versions have corrected this and are actually the right temps. However, and I don't know if the Intel uses the BIOS's readings for this or not, at the same FSB in the new BIOS that I was using with the old BIOS the CPU will shut itself down, usually while loading windows or right after logon. That was why I went back to completly stock setting with no overclock. Now that I am back to the original BIOS I can once again OC, only a bit though, with no shutdown problems.
I really don't understand this, and while I am not a the smartest when it comes to computers I do understand how they work, I have always built my own (successfully) and can pretty much install any hardware in them -- Like a water cooled setup or whatever. So it's not like I'm some stupid a-hole who unpluged the CPU fan header and am like " why is it so hot??" Anyway I appreciate the help and if anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would really like to try to have the new BIOS AND decent temps again. I have to say I heard people talk about these Prescott's as running hot, in the 60-70c range and was always dumbfounded at either my apparent luck or thier apparent lack of it. Well I know who's laughing now. Thanks guys (and any gals out there) for the input and help.

BTW-- in a couple of days all the parts will be here for my new comp-- (AMD time YAY!!!) FX55 with MSI SLI plat. mobo, 1 Gb of low latency ram from corsair, 3 WD raptors at 74 GB and 2 Maxtor maxline III at 300gb, my new dell 24'' LCD, and for my B-day a family member got me 2 of the new 512mb 6800 ultras from BFG (although they haven't got here yet- one should be here today from Zipzoomfly and one at some point soon from tigerdirect) which is WAY overboard but they were gifts what was I going to do say "no". The GPU and chipset will be watercooled with swiftech blocks and the polarflo pump that was based on the popular swiftech pump (forget the model number), and a dual radiator setup of a blackice xtreme II and a blackice xtreme I. Still deciding on the fans for those I have some real good YS tech fans that are 125CFM 120mm fans but they are a bit loud like 45 DB or so. Any suggestions here would be great but I know it's the wrong forum just thought I'd put that out there. And for the grand finale I am cooling the FX55 with a Vapochill LS, which a friend bought then didn't use for about 6 months and he sold it to me for $250 brand new, so how could I pass that up. Hopefully this will solve all me computing needs for a long time to come-- although I will admit even for gaming and the stuff I do this computer seems excessive but it didn't cost me much more than the parts for the computer I have now did, so I figure it's a good deal.
If you are still reading this.... well then you are a trooper. My rants and raves seem to be unstopable these days so I apologize to anyone expecting to find something of interest or value in anything written, by me, here. Have a good day and please don't be too upset that I made you read this and waste your time because it's not my fault.... I can't be stopped.... AHAHAHAH!!!
Old 12th May, 2005, 03:19 PM

so, in short, you got it fixed LOL

All folding 24/7
Old 12th May, 2005, 04:20 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Regarding the auto shut down, it is probably not the CPU... If the CPU senses that it is getting too hot, it will throttle. However, the mobo has safety measures too, and may force a shut down based on certain parameters in the bios... Rather than using a dated bios, hunt around in the bios for settings that will let you increase the threshold before shutting down. If you have changed nothing but the bios, and you are getting significantly different readings, I am 99% sure that the CPU is running the same actual temps, and it is just measured differently in the bios.

While not the best for long term life, running hot is quite normal for prescotts. They have built in measures to protect themselves from getting damaged. I've heard of demos online, where a user would literally removed the heatsink while running a pc.... the prescott would throttle down to a crawl, like 200mhz but keep running. If you are still worried about temps, invest a few bucks in a better cooler. Stock with prescotts are not bad at all, but there is far better available.
Old 12th May, 2005, 04:25 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveI
I've heard of demos online, where a user would literally removed the heatsink while running a pc.... the prescott would throttle down to a crawl, like 200mhz but keep running.

I tried that myself...pulled the heatsink, cpu dropped to 2x multi, and then when i replaced the heatsink, the speed went back up. Was one of the most exciting moments i have ever had playing with computers...i really felt confident that poor cooling was not going to kill a prescott(dammit all! i LOVE RMA's...you get newer stuff too often! )