AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd May, 2005, 01:25 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to RussianMissile1

Clean out those dust bunnies!

well, i havent posed here in a while...

with summer drawing near, and with a very hot weekend with 85F+ temperatures outside, yesterday i noticed that my cpu was at 60C going full load on a F@H gromacs core. that is a bit too high for me. i cleaned off most of the dust from the heatsink fins, and to my wonder..... *suspense*

a full 10C drop in load temps doing the same WU at 100% load with the same ambient temperature

(i still lurk around here even though i dont post as much anymore )
Old 23rd May, 2005, 02:38 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to calgar Send a message via AIM to calgar Send a message via MSN to calgar Send a message via Yahoo to calgar

haha, yeah, dust is a bitch somtimes
Old 24th May, 2005, 12:13 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

I toasted a fan assembly with dust once. System 3 below was found in a state of "off" one afternoon. Limited testing demonstrated, quite audibly, a knackered fan. Opening the case revealed that the fan was incapable of rotating, and that the sound I heard was the crackling of windings....

3 months later the entire machine was dead of another reason. I suspect old age and cheap hardware... no matter, don't need a windows box anyway.