AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st February, 2002, 07:33 AM

Angry Tempatures on the rise again

Amd Athalon 1.3ghz, not overclocked
Readings from PC Alert are at 52degress cel for the cpu at idle
Case temp is 33 degress cel.

Vantec 6035 hitsink/fan and artic sivler3 thermal compound in between, fairly thin layer.

But temps still up there, maybe my "thin" layer is not thin enough, exaclty how thin would be too thin?
Old 21st February, 2002, 11:08 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

this might sound stupid, but i've seen it with my own eyes, are you sure the sink is on the right way round?

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st February, 2002, 12:10 PM

Re: Tempatures on the rise again

Quote:
Originally posted by demonX
Amd Athalon 1.3ghz, not overclocked
Readings from PC Alert are at 52degress cel for the cpu at idle
Case temp is 33 degress cel.

Vantec 6035 hitsink/fan and artic sivler3 thermal compound in between, fairly thin layer.

But temps still up there, maybe my "thin" layer is not thin enough, exaclty how thin would be too thin?

I've seen several reviews/tests of ASIII (don't remember exactly where) which stated or implied, That ASIII lost some effectivness during its "burn-in" period. You definatly want the thiness possible layer that allows complete contact. 52Âșc sounds pretty warm for that setup, I would pull the HS and look at the base, for voids or uneven compound. If it hasn't stiffined up yet you could apply a little more and smooth it out (dragging a single edge razor blade backwards like a squeege works well) If it is a all set (stiffer than when you put it on) clean the whole thing and CPU, and try again.
Old 21st February, 2002, 04:14 PM

Your case temperature seems quite high.

Here in the UK mine is 21*c

If your case air is allready at 33*c when it passes through the heatsink..cooling performance will be limited.

If you dont allready have some extra case fans try fitting a couple to draw air through your case.

As for the arctic silver the guide at www.arcticsilver.com is fairly comprehensive.

Personally I put a small grain or rice sized bit of AS2 on the the CPU then spread it evenly with a spatula (ice cream tub cut up)

Sometimes just re-seating the heatsink helps.

Also some motherboards (ASUS) read unusually high temperatures..and the in socket thermaitor is pretty inncurate anyway.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st February, 2002, 09:53 PM

Thanks All
Well I have no idea what happened today, I took of the vantech, cleaned off the cpu and heatsink applied a thin layer to the sink and put it back on the opposite way I had it, just in case it was indeed backwards, powerd up the pc bios came up read the cpu and memeory and then stuck. Did this a few time, so i took of the heatsink and turned it around and it booted up fine, but temps where still at around 51 cel. So i tried switching the clip around, BIG MISTAKE obviosuly I proably scratched some of the fins/pushed them together and it was all down hill after that, cpu temp on startup broke 70+ degress cel
So I turned the pc off before the cpu could cook itself, took the fan off my the vantech slapped it on my old heatsink and now im getting 48degress cel idle. Not bad I suppose:-D
Case temp is 29degress cel which I think is my problem, so im going to buy a new case(Enermax Server Case FS-710B) and a thermatake volcano 7+ in a few weeks.
Old 22nd February, 2002, 12:11 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

NEVER just switch the sink around! you can tell if it is correct as most heatsinks have a step to clear the cam box. if there is no step, the best way is to look at the clip, the side with the slot for screwdriver, or catch or whatever usually goes on the cam box side.

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 22nd February, 2002, 01:56 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Installing HSF's on Socket A CPU's is APITA, because a mistake can murder the processor. I remove the mainboard from the case to install a new HSF. Why? Because I simply can not see the HSF/CPU junction with the mainboard in the case.

Ye old days of Slockets made this SO much easier. I know, I know. If I liked the olde days so much, why did I go AMD?
Old 22nd February, 2002, 02:47 AM

Well, I put the fan back on the vantech sink after I dusted it out gave it a good cleaning. Then applied a super thin layer to the heatsink, then I put a tiny bit on the cpu, spreaded it out evenly and very thin, put the sink down and started her up.
46 degress cel idle temp 30 degree system. I think I just need a better case =)
Old 22nd February, 2002, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by demonX
Well, I put the fan back on the vantech sink after I dusted it out gave it a good cleaning. Then applied a super thin layer to the heatsink, then I put a tiny bit on the cpu, spreaded it out evenly and very thin, put the sink down and started her up.
46 degress cel idle temp 30 degree system. I think I just need a better case =)
Thats allot better.

If you can drop the case temp to 20 degrees then you should see a similar drop in CPU temperature.
That will give around 36 idle..very respectable.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 22nd February, 2002, 11:06 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

That's a hot CII! P3E's I've had became unreliable at 56C. Don't get me started about Intel's horse pocky professed max temps.

If possible, why not remove the case's left cover and blast the innards with a house fan? Until a better cooling solution is at hand.
Old 23rd February, 2002, 06:48 AM

Now to get rid of this vantech and get me a volcanoe 7+ at least then i can turn the fan speed down and get some peace

Also getting a Enermax Server Case FS-710B
w/330w Whisper PSU as I hear those are good cases, plus they I like they way the look