AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st February, 2002, 10:37 AM

Send a message via ICQ to bubu

Angry case temp too high! need help!

Hi

I'm new on the cooling business and my miditower case temp is around 42degree celsius. Now i understand that is HIGH and decided to put extra case fans.

i would very much appreciate some help in where to place them
and best way to cool it down...

i was thinking at 3 extra Papst 80x80 one in front taking air in
and one on the side above PCI also taking air in
and for the out part remains the PSU fan along with an extra one near the cpu on the back of the case..
what do u think?

thnx for ur help
bubu
Old 21st February, 2002, 11:06 AM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

you need only slightly more air in than out, one 80mm at front in, one 80 mm over the CPU in, and one 80mm blowing out of the top, plus PSU fan should make a big difference

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st February, 2002, 11:22 AM

temperature too high

thnx very much for ur opinion

let me give a better picture
Gigabyte 7vtx mb
Athlon 1200 266fsb@1333
Titan D5TB
Msi Geforce2 MX400 64Mb TVout
Creative Live 5.1
Samsung 24x CDROM
Quantum 20GB@7200
HDD rack ata66/100
350W PSU

now cpu was reported by MB at 63degree under load
BUT same cpu+cooler on ABIT mb was reported at 52degree under heavy load for about 2h
thus i found out that Gigabyte sensor might be a little inaccurate

second heat source in the case is video card...
thats why i was thinking about an intake fan above PCI to cool this too...

bubu
Old 21st February, 2002, 02:51 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

that temp is too high to be considered safe really, as i said in another threadm in socket thermisters are NOT to be trusted, they are usually withing 5 celsius with a tbird, though if the probe is not in contact with the underside of the chip it wont be. by the sounds of things something is wrong..... im running an athlon XP with a VERY shoddy little heatsink, i left my good one at spodes, and im running 1150mhz 1.65 volts and getting 40 celsius load. i suggest reseating the heatsink, as it sounds a lot like it isnt contacting to core properly, you are running almost identicle temps to my friend who was having similar probs

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st February, 2002, 03:37 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I agree about gigabyte boards. My friend's registers like 10c higher for case and CPU than the same cpu and cooling on another board.

I'd still play it safe and try to add the extra fans tho. Always a good idea to play it safe when it comes to temp. If you are not accustomed to having a lot of fans, keep noise level in mind. There's always a balance to tolerable noise and cooling, and it's different for every user.

good luck.
Old 21st February, 2002, 04:19 PM

thanx for the opinions
i would take the extra fan in serious considerations

as for the cpu ill surely rearange the heatsink
think it might be a little extra thermal compound there...
maybe thats the cause for not making proper contact
Old 22nd February, 2002, 01:42 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

A blanket prescription for case cooling doesn't exist, because cases and their interior geography are often a little, or a lot different. My Duron box runs at stock -yet AMD setups run hot, even when not OC'd. Personally, 100 cfm flowing through my Duron's case every minute is the right amount. Can this be done quietly? Naturally. But I chose the less expensive, less tedious but noisier route.

The key to moving a good deal of air quietly is large fans, with blades that spin slowly. If you are equipped with a reasonable assortment of tools, cutting twice as many holes for fans isn't too much of a bother. If your collection is skimpy, each hole for a 120 mm fan can be a five hour job of work.

As a rule, 80mm fans belong on heatsinks. They're simply too wimpy to make cutting mounting holes for them worthwhile. If utilizing the usual generous 2 80mm fan mounts that most mid cases come with makes sense, at least cut away the annoyingly cute patterns of holes that block good air flow. This must be done with an empty case, as chunks of steel rattling around the interior isn't good policy. But it's the steel dust that'll murder your setup.

Think 120mm intake fans. Two 69 cfm ones are far more quiet than one 108 or 138 cfm fan. 120 mm exhaust fans can be more difficult to install. A passel of low volume 92mm's may be easier to find cutting room for.

If noise isn't a consideration, one 108 cfm or 138 cfm 120mm installed into the left hand case cover(whether you keep the original lower front 80mm is up to you)is relatively easy. Give great care to figuring out the exact spot to install it. Measure twice(four times for me)and cut once. The fans are thick--they need to clear the ISA/PCI/AGP cards in the back, and the drive cages in the front. If applicable, a duct for the CPU must be thought out, too.

If the blockage is removed from the upper rear fan mount and the PS has a serious fan, you won't need to cut a hole for a monster fan--probably in the top of the case. Using a Delta 80cfm 80mm, or the 68cfm model in the rear fan mount will remove the necessity for a blowhole, anyway. Nonetheless, sometimes the addition of a weenie blowhole in the top can make for a dramatic reduction in CPU temp.

Have a look at the case gallery here. www.overclockers.com.au sports a fantastic case gallery. Look before you cut. In the meantime, I suggest removing the left cover of your case. As long as you don't have children or cats with too much curiousity.

Last edited by cloasters; 24th February, 2002 at 11:16 PM.
Old 24th February, 2002, 08:49 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Noundi

you should think about your room temperature... thats very important... when i open my window, my cpu temp drops 4 degrees C... try cooling your room if its hot... remember that blowing warm air wont make a difference... =)
Old 24th February, 2002, 11:25 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Welcome to our "BBS," Noundi! You raise a very important point. bubu, what is your room temp when your case temp is 42C? If it's only a few degrees lower than case temp, you can't get decent cooling in your machine. Removing the case's left cover, then setting up a house fan to blast the inside of the case will cool the inside to room temp(maybe a touch hotter than room temp) at best.
Old 25th February, 2002, 09:01 AM

my room temp is about 22-23degree
measured with same instrument which did measured my case temp
its a room thermometer which in the room shows 22degree
and i placed it in the case directly on the video card standing on the original suport it has....
i would say about 1.5-2.5 cm above videocard and between them was the plastic stand of the thermometer

now, after i closed back my case, i run the cpu overload program
then on top of it i left madonion 3dmark2000 to run continously
all for about 2h

after 2h without turning my comp of i removed thermometer and it was 42degree celsius...

that's the story....
MB sensor for case was reporting about same temp
27degree on boot and about 44 on load...
Old 25th February, 2002, 11:12 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Personally, I'd remove the left case cover and blast the innards with a house fan. If small children or pets with too much curiousity make this unwise, I'd shut down the machine until the fannage is corrected.