AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th August, 2005, 01:40 AM
Member/Contributer

Round IDE cables rock

Here goes.

My g/f's comp is 3500+ Winchester, I was getting 42C temps after running Folding at 100%, nothing to worry about I know. But I bought some round floppy and IDE cables for $9NZ and $10NZ each.

This has dropped my temps down to 38C, this is after 24hrs running folding continous!

Both temps are from the gigabyte monitor called Easy Tune 5, so can be compared. Room temp for both 'readings' is 20C.

Its running stock cooling, no overclock, only 2 case fans ($10NZ icute's), and a crappy $49NZ (about $28US) case.

So the additional airflow has dropped temps by 4C, nothing to sneeze at.

Posted this so some people who are new, can get a decent temp drop for only a few dollars, and can see the benefit of good airflow.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th August, 2005, 02:48 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Glad you liked them and they worked out as intended for you.
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th August, 2005, 09:40 PM

Send a message via MSN to skool h8r

IT just goes to show doesn't it. Even with your so called 'crappy case', a bit of modding could improve that even more. But on it's own, yeah that's great temps. My Duron 1.4Ghz with coolermaster Aero and heatsink (generic heatsink, not CM), 2 genereic fans (only one running atm) and a top blowhole (no fan attached at the moment), homemade rounded IDE and FD cables the temp i have from the display on the front of the case is 34C and that's just when i'm browsing the web and using a few other programs (non CPU, memory or HD intensive). My room is quite hot though but still, you've got some good temperatures. Have you got any lights in there that could be causing extra heat?

Still, great temps for the price.

YouTube - Benchmark Results (Coming Soon!)
Old 7th August, 2005, 10:24 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skool h8r
IT just goes to show doesn't it. Even with your so called 'crappy case', a bit of modding could improve that even more. But on it's own, yeah that's great temps. My Duron 1.4Ghz with coolermaster Aero and heatsink (generic heatsink, not CM), 2 genereic fans (only one running atm) and a top blowhole (no fan attached at the moment), homemade rounded IDE and FD cables the temp i have from the display on the front of the case is 34C and that's just when i'm browsing the web and using a few other programs (non CPU, memory or HD intensive). My room is quite hot though but still, you've got some good temperatures. Have you got any lights in there that could be causing extra heat?

Still, great temps for the price.
Nothing extra, wouldn't put anything in the case, crappy sheet metal one, that bends slightly, but at least its black.

Now my comp (check sig) full load for 18hrs 20C room temp, get me 35C (temp probe), but the heatsink is really crappy. I will be TECing this (When I get the money).

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H