AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd February, 2002, 06:30 AM
AOA Staff

anyone try these yet?

I found these at the local ma&pa shop. they are 70mm "twin blade" and spin around 5700 rpm. and mopunt to the standard 60mm mounting holes they seem to push a good amount of air, but I couldn't find a rating for them....nice and QUITE though, compared to the delta hair dryers.
Attached Thumbnails
anyone try these yet?-split_blade2.jpg  
Old 22nd February, 2002, 06:32 AM
AOA Staff

another
Attached Thumbnails
anyone try these yet?-split_blade1.jpg  
Old 22nd February, 2002, 07:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

:-)

I got the same ones! Except mine are panaflo- found them at Wacky Willies! I also found a BUNCH of 80mm THIN panaflo fans- $1 each :-D Ive seen those type u have before.................

Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd February, 2002, 07:49 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Looks like you need to do a review for the abode surly . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd February, 2002, 08:32 AM
AOA Staff

hell I'd be happy just to be able to post news again

BTW....
these ones were awful cheap'so i dont expect too much longevity wise.
I also found out they are made by KWI and push 28cfm @5000rpm, and 40dB, so I figure I'm good for 30-31cfm @ the 5700 its runnin at. It pushes more air than the delta did throttled back to the same speed . I just could never tolerate the whine at the full 7k

Last edited by surlyjoe; 22nd February, 2002 at 08:39 AM.
Old 22nd February, 2002, 11:18 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Interesting design. I wonder if it's designed to operate against a higher back pressure than a standard fan? Someone put a patent on an design that's a little similar, but operates more like an axial compressor, so can handle much higher back pressures.

AidanII
Old 24th February, 2002, 02:26 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

aidain there is not a axial compressor in existance as far as i know with a pressure ratio greater than 1.5:1 so no single axial fan will ever be able to generate more than 1 or 2 PSI pressure.

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 24th February, 2002, 07:11 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Ploaf Send a message via AIM to Ploaf Send a message via Yahoo to Ploaf

I slapped one of those on a glaciator I have because it was running on a table in my living room and it was quieter than the stock glaciator fan. It seemed to do a fair enough job. I don't remember the name on the label, but it looks liike the same fan. It's still on there chugging along just fine but it's now put away in the basement where it belongs.
Old 24th February, 2002, 08:14 PM

Send a message via ICQ to kplonk

They also look sweet, don’t you think
Old 25th February, 2002, 03:36 AM
New Member/OES

Send a message via AIM to Bender

My brother has one just like that on his SVC golden gate. It seems to cool very well and its not to loud. I don't have anything to compair it to since I dont goof around with his sytem much.

The Project ProjectSimon.com And BizOng.com
Old 25th February, 2002, 09:59 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Random Nonsense
aidain there is not a axial compressor in existance as far as i know with a pressure ratio greater than 1.5:1 so no single axial fan will ever be able to generate more than 1 or 2 PSI pressure.
Compared to the standard fan, that's a vastly higher pressure! As you know, it doesn't take very much back pressure to stall a typical PC fan. Turbulance helps strip the heat away, but also tends to creates back pressure, when you're looking at heatsinks.

AidanII
Old 25th February, 2002, 11:30 AM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

I've reviewed one like that (review is now in the post - sorry, Spode) made by a different company (forgot to mention the strange fan thing in the review).

When you've got two sets of rotating blades, both rotating in the same direction like that without a stationary stage in between, it is NOT an axial compressor, and will not produce any more than the 1.5psig pressure normal axial fans manage.

Adding these extra blades is just a way of making a quieter fan at high(ish) revs.

Quote:
1.5:1 is the pressure ratio limit per stage, but that's why they come in multi-stage flavours - some of these can produce total pressure ratios (across the entire unit) of several thousand to one.
Old 25th February, 2002, 03:49 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

havent ever seen an axial compressor with that high a compression ratio.... think of it like this

1000:1 = 14 690 PSI if at ISA sea level!

thats just silly! most ive heard of is about 150:1

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Old 25th February, 2002, 04:22 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Quote:
most ive heard of is about 150:1
:clown: right, there are several types of compressor, and I got my wires crossed about which one I was talking about. There was a question in a thermodynamics tutorial to see if a 1000 bar axial compressor was possible (no).

OK, axial compressors pressurise gases: a typical pressure ratio per stage is 1.05:1 for industrial units, and 1.2:1 for aerospace units (where the resulting heat actually comes in handy). The max pressure ratio for a unit is 30:1

There are a few other kinds - reciprocating compressors can go up to 3,500 psi. These tend to be used to fill gas bottles.

Quote:
1000:1 = 14 690 PSI if at ISA sea level!

thats just silly!
Not really. Barrel-type centrifugal compressors can produce discharge pressures of 25,000 psi - but only in liquids. Gases have a tendency to liquefy beyond a couple of hundred bar at room temperature. (That would be a pressure ratio of 1700:1, though I'd bet that they tend to be used in series with lower-pressure compressors).
Old 25th February, 2002, 06:00 PM

hmmmmmm im sure its more than 30:1 max on em, cos the avon at college runs at that, and its a 50 year old engine! ill talk to em tomorrow.

and the heat isnt really useful in a gas turbine engine, as you simply want as much weight of air thrown into it as possible. so cooling it would make it denser, and therefore you could cram more into same area = MORE WOOSH!

anyone care to figure out the CFM rating on this?

860 grams a second mass flow?

i used to know weights and volumes of air at sea level, forgot it all now! DOH

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED