AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th September, 2001, 03:43 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Overclock-Watercool "Big Momma"

For all those interested in these radiators, you can go to your local auto salvage yard and yank the heatercore out of a Pontiac Fiero for $5, it's the exact same part . . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd October, 2001, 06:47 AM

And I might add, no need to deal with Chip's flaky business practices.

If the supercooled, overclocking crowd discovers how fast duallies feel, there will be a stampede to build SMP rigs that will make the California gold rush look like a few little old ladies pushing shopping carts at the supermarket.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd October, 2001, 05:14 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Phiber Send a message via AIM to Phiber

i am going to watercool what kind fo radiator will work with my Lian-Li PC70 with haeavey modding>>
Old 4th October, 2001, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by phiber
i am going to watercool what kind fo radiator will work with my Lian-Li PC70 with haeavey modding>>
I don't know, got any meassurements of were you want to put the radiator, and do you have any metal working skillz and toolz(for making fan shrouds and the like) . . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 8th October, 2001, 04:14 AM
Banned

Go here to decide what fits your needs. Then go to your local junk yard or auto parts store and buy it there.

http://www.heatercore4u.com/Make.htm
Old 8th October, 2001, 05:25 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Phiber Send a message via AIM to Phiber

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
I don't know, got any meassurements of were you want to put the radiator, and do you have any metal working skillz and toolz(for making fan shrouds and the like) . . . .
i will get you sizes later
but i want it on top of my PSU on the top corner of the case
Old 15th October, 2001, 06:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

I mounted my radiator hehind the psu outside the case so that the psu fan cooled it off. I haven't had a problem with it yet. that setup is for those people who have computer noise and don't want extra fans on.
Old 22nd October, 2001, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrpcman
I mounted my radiator hehind the psu outside the case so that the psu fan cooled it off. I haven't had a problem with it yet. that setup is for those people who have computer noise and don't want extra fans on.
I think I would advise against this, or any other method, that forces warm air through the radiator. It is with a pretty good understanding of thermodynamics that I can say that every degree cooler the air passing through the radiator is, is a degree cooler the CPU should be. This is why companies like BeCooling recomend having fresh air pass through the radiator, with the radiator residing in the lower front portian of the case(remember that the lower the intake is in the room, the cooler the air is too).

AOA Team fah
Old 22nd October, 2001, 03:39 AM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
I think I would advise against this, or any other method, that forces warm air through the radiator. It is with a pretty good understanding of thermodynamics that I can say that every degree cooler the air passing through the radiator is, is a degree cooler the CPU should be. This is why companies like BeCooling recomend having fresh air pass through the radiator, with the radiator residing in the lower fron portian of the case(remember that the lower the intake is in the room, the cooler the air is too).
Yep. Sounds quite logical to me. But also, isn't the radiator causing an obstruction to the PSU exaust. It must slow down airflow at least a bit.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 22nd October, 2001, 04:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

I have a rad that i bought for $3 and its the Overclockwatercooled big momma.

Spyder
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Old 22nd October, 2001, 11:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

I saw those points before I did it, and still decided to because A. it's 1 of 2 radiators running on the sytem. B. the air coming out of my psu isn't that warm at all(it's a high quality sparkle psu), and C. I ran that system fine without any fans cooling the radiators for about 6months and never had any problems, so this is still an improvement. Now that I'm out of a super-cold state though, things may be different.