AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th February, 2002, 10:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to Darkcobra

Need help with cooling my cpu!

Ok, here is my problem.

First I had my athlon t-bird at stock 1.4Ghz. Then I wanted to try this oc gig and kicked it up a notch to 1.470GHz. The temp was ok. Originally the temps were around 37-38 idle or so and around 42 or 43 full load. That was in the november or so months in the USA. My room temperature was cool so I think that added to the low temps. I proceeded to oc my rig again to about 1.5GHz for about 10 days or so and the idle temps were around 39-40 C and the full load were around 45-47 C. Recently I noticed that the temps are rising for idle and I decided to "downspeed" my cpu to 1.4Ghz. It's getting a bit warmer now in sunny California and now my temps are at 40 C idle and sometimes a little higher than that. I did also notice that I installed my power supply upside down (stupid mistake, first time building my own computer, but yeah, stupid mistake). I have an enermax 431watt ps with the intake fan at the bottom of it.

After flipping the ps, I figured my temps would go way down. But no, I was wrong. Now they are still very high. At stock 1.4Ghz, my temps are 40-42 C and after playing quake 3 or aliens vs predator2 for a bit they jump to 46-49 C. What gives? I need help and am frustrated beyond belief. I am using artic silver 2 and a SK6 hs with a delta 60mm fan. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys!
Old 26th February, 2002, 12:46 PM
Mars Rover Champion, Joust Champion

Send a message via MSN to Kaitain Send a message via Skype™ to Kaitain

Um, watercooling? I think you've hit on the problem when you say it's your room heating up...

With air-cooling, heatsinks are designed to produce a certain temperature difference between the air and the core - this is usually in the region of 18 - 20ºC: it's not really possible to get a lower dT using air cooling. If your room temperatures are starting to get a bit warm, then your chip temperature will increase in direct proportion.
Old 26th February, 2002, 03:33 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

or even more basic, dust? as after a while sinks with dense fins like an SK6 block up! take the fan off the top of the sink and use a can of compressed air or even a simple brush to de-dust it

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th February, 2002, 12:46 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

A load temp of 49C is quite acceptable. We'd all love our OC'd air-cooled Athlons to run at 39C under full load on a 126F afternoon in an un-airconditioned attic, but if wishes were horses...

Inspecting the SK6's micro-fins for cloggage is an excellent idea. IMHO, an AMD rig at stock requires 100 cfm of case throughput. 150 cfm for an OC'd Athlon.
Old 27th February, 2002, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Random Nonsense
or even more basic, dust? as after a while sinks with dense fins like an SK6 block up! take the fan off the top of the sink and use a can of compressed air or even a simple brush to de-dust it
My temperature has dropped 2*c today as I cleaned out my case.

Its amazing how much crud gets sucked in.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th February, 2002, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cloasters
A load temp of 49C is quite acceptable. We'd all love our OC'd air-cooled Athlons to run at 39C under full load on a 126F afternoon in an un-airconditioned attic,
Even if the computer worked, I would shutdown/burnup at that temp!
Old 27th February, 2002, 10:01 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Quote:
IMHO, an AMD rig at stock requires 100 cfm of case throughput. 150 cfm for an OC'd Athlon.
IMHO, 100CFM is about the most you would ever need. 50CFM is acceptable with proper fan placement, or even better duct work.

I built a PC for a friend of mine recently(couple weeks back). It was his first PC, and he requested that I make it nice and quiet like his G3 MAC. With careful planning I was able to get away with only 23CFM of chassis ventilation!

How I did it:

I used an Alpha PAL8045 with a Panaflow 80mm 23CFM fan for the CPU.

I put another 23CFM Panaflow in the rear of the chassis as an intake(filtered), and built some spiffy duct work out of aluminum roof flashing. The duct not only delivered cool air to the Alpha, but actually bolted tightly to the Alpha's fan making it air tight.

I swapped the fan in the Sparkle 300W PSU for yet another 23CFM Panaflow.

The CPU temperature was a very respectable 40C at full load, this was with a Morgan 1GHz @1.2GHz @1.9V

And for the record, the KT266A northbridge @150MHz and GF2MX400 GPU @190MHz were passively cooled with some 40mm square copper heatsinks I whipped up at the shop and AS2 epoxied on. The 7200RPM harddisk while not fan cooled, was placed in a 5 1/4" drive bay(with rubber groumets to prevent high frequency noise from reverberating through the chassis) so the air could get to it.

The machine was seriously so quiet I couldn't tell if it was running or not with the monitor turned off.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 28th February, 2002, 06:59 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Very impressive low throughput rig! My 100 cfm "rule" was derived before 80mm HSF's existed. I wouldn't install a weaker than original fan in a PS, but that's just my opinion. The only PS's that I know are safe with ~23 cfm fans are PC Power&Cooling "Silencer" models.

As a proof of concept, you've built an amazing rig, Jeff! My cooling philosophy needs re-evaluation in light of the new gigantic HSF's.

The low air volume/very quiet box may not be cool enough in the summer. A 10F rise in ambient temperature makes for a substantial jump in case/CPU temps.
Old 28th February, 2002, 10:01 PM

Quote:
The low air volume/very quiet box may not be cool enough in the summer. A 10F rise in ambient temperature makes for a substantial jump in case/CPU temps.
The CPU temperature will raise linearly with the ambient temperature.

The CPU was running at 40C in a 28C room(My PC room gets HOT with three monitors at two 1GHz+ PCs!). It's not very often that the temperature exceeds 34C here in Michigan, and that would make the CPU run at 46C. I tested the system without the intake and CPU fans running, the system doesn't hard lock until the CPU reaches 53C. Plus, I believe his house has centeral air conditioning, which adds a bit more of a safety margin.

AOA Team fah
Old 28th February, 2002, 10:49 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't install a weaker than original fan in a PS, but that's just my opinion.
The ATX specification calls for 21CFM. However most PSUs come with a cheap noisey fan that puts out around 30-36CFM. All of the PSUs I've used in the past 3 years have had the fan swapped for a Panaflow 23CFM fan, for both reliability and noise reduction purposes.

What you have to keep in mind is that PSU manufacturers use such high output fans for two reasons.

1) To reduce over all chassis temperature.
2) To allow the PSU to operate in hell like 40C(104F) enviroments.

Since neither of those was needed in this particular application, or any of my other system builds, I don't see the need for such a high output fan. However, I don't recommend swapping PSU fans without first carefully considering the pros and cons of it.

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 28th February, 2002 at 10:51 PM.