AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Cooling & Temperature Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th October, 2005, 11:37 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
You might also be able to get away with a baffle that's stopping the air that's being pulled in the front from directly interfering with the flow from the GFX cards, and instead flowing around them. However, that would make the flow a bit difficult. How well vented is the back of the system?

I just got home so i'll try to figure it out. I need fresh air coming in the slots between the cards, feeding both the top card, and the chipset, i figure, or something. I'm pretty sure that the cards will still overheat the chipset, just from radiant heat.

what a headache.

My wife is due to pop out the kid on friday, my mother-in-law just got in town today, busy getting ready to open stores, and two days ago my cat died. I just lack the mental strength right now to try to figure this out.
Old 19th October, 2005, 12:33 AM
Member/Contributer

get a slot blower and cut the side opposite the back out. Maybe wire it up in reverse so it sucks air in from behind the case and blows it in. The only problem is that the back of the case is where all the rest of the heat is exhusting. Maybe put a cool air intake over the back of the slot. You can do like those cases which have like half a 2-Liter in the bottom which makes a wind tunnel. So that way it doesn't matter which way the air goes in relation to the CPU and PSU.
Old 13th November, 2005, 04:21 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Azriel

What cases have you tried? I way too often around here I see people throwing $1500 to $2000 into a rig in a generic $40 case that they spend another $50 modding. We have all see the "OMFG look at my sweet case" post where a worthless low gauge steel case has been modded with 12 fans and a giant window, with little or no though to effective airflow. I have one case here that I absolutely love. I don't know the manufacturer though. Incredible airflow. The large filtered/passive air intake and 92mm in the front, and a 120mm rear fan + 120mm fan in the PSU move a lot of air. I've never had a case I didn't want to punch another hole in before. You have better than $1000 invested in your video cards. Throw $150 at a case. This one wasn't that much, but it's a good price to expect for a well designed case.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40...n/Imga0710.jpghttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40...n/Imga0711.jpghttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40...n/Imga0713.jpg

Edit: wanted to add that the PSU is actually one I bought from In-win. Their Powerman brand PSUs are very high quality with no glitter. I want my money to go to a good design, not a fancy gold fan grill.

Last edited by Azriel; 13th November, 2005 at 04:40 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th November, 2005, 04:52 PM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

Have you seen the asetek vapochill case coolers, kinda like A/C for the case?

(go to case cooler section)
http://www.asetek.com/default.asp?sh...on=2&menuID=-1

checkout the fouth picture down... cooling dirrected directly where you want it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th November, 2005, 05:26 PM
Member/Contributer

Love the vapochill micro. Anyone seen any reviews comparing it to high end air coolers? I mean comparing it to the thermalright 90c and 120? (all the rest are crap and eye candy anyway)
Old 13th November, 2005, 07:09 PM
Member/Contributer

Hunted through 45 pages of black cases at pricewatch and found it. Chenbro - SR10568

http://www.chenbro.com.tw/usa/produc...ew.php?pid=101

The side pannel is not all that easy to remove, but other than that, I wouldn't change anything.

Another very nice case would be the Yeong Yang - YY0221 case that gizmo uses. Not quite the thickness I like, and the inside of the door looks like solid ass, but it's a great case as far as cooling is concerned.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40...drmTMmGQNg.jpghttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40.../yy-0221_3.jpg

http://www.yycase.com/yy-0221.htm

Now, while the Antec Soho's are a very pretty case, and by far the best construction I have ever seen, I'd avoid them for a hot system. They are absolute crap when it comes to airflow. Unless you are going to heavily mod them, they are not an option. They move plenty of air. It's the path the air is forced to take that makes them a poor chioce. You end up with a massive block of dead hot air in the upper portion of the case.

Last edited by Azriel; 13th November, 2005 at 07:42 PM.
Old 15th November, 2005, 10:29 PM

if you need cooling THAT badly go with the ti-chi water cooling the case itself is like a fridge. I saw one yesterday running 6800 ultra SLI. The ambient temp was 24C.
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=371255
the only problem is it cost the same as a 3rd GPU mabey you should just sell em off and get the new 512mb edition.
4-4-4-12
160GB
256 MB 6800GT 413/1102
Main Rig
AMD 4000+ 2772 MHz w/ DFI SLI DR
2GB Corsair XMS (with LED's of course)@ 2.5-3-2-11 @ 240MHz
250GB HDD SATA2
Xfi-64MB X-Ram
WMCE
7800GTX OC-516(+40Mhz Delta clock)/1300
AOA Team fah
"The motherboard installation section essentially said "refer to motherboard manual for installation instructions". My motherboard manual of course said "refer to case manual for further installation instructions"."
Old 16th November, 2005, 01:44 AM

problem was solved very simply...i'll do without a case. It's the radiant heat coming from the vidcard's mosfets that ceate all the heat over the chipset, and it's one that simple adding more airflow just doesn't fix....at least not while staying reasonably quiet.

I can upgrade one of my 7800gtx'es through the EVGA "Trade-up" program, to a 512mb model(they are scoring over 10k in 3dmark05 singlecard), and sell of my asus card. I was kinda hoping to keep the asus as it is the best clocker, but i don't have the choice.
Old 16th November, 2005, 01:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to Exile69 Send a message via MSN to Exile69

Think they fixed the misprogrammed thermal sensor in the 512?

AOA Team fah

Abit NF-M2 | XFX 8600GT | AM2 X2 3800+ | 2Gb G.Skill DDR2 800 | Aspire X-QPack | 250Gb Western Digital | Creative X-Fi + Logitech X530 5.1
Old 16th November, 2005, 01:58 AM
Member/Contributer

From what you say, the gfx cards are fine, but its just the chipset.

How about taking off the chipset fans, and replacing with low profile water blocks. They should be about the same height, but much more efficient.

-OR-

If you only have a few mm clearance, between fan and chipset, how about changing the fan to one which pulls air from the side, not the top.

Corsair AX650
Asus P8H77-M PRO
i7 3770 (non K series)
- Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile CPU Cooler
2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Sapphire 7970
2 x SanDisk Extreme 120GB RAID 0
Western Digital Green 3TB
Asus Xonar Essence STX
TP Link TL-WN881ND
Fractal Design Arc Mini
- 2x Noctua NF-P12 120mm, 2x Noctua NF-P14 FLX 140mm, NZXT Sentry 2 LCD Fan Controller
Asus ML249H
Old 16th November, 2005, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile69
Think they fixed the misprogrammed thermal sensor in the 512?
The thermal sensor issue and throttling was bios-related. Flashing the bios quite a few times seems to ahve fixed it...still not sure which one did it tho....

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob
From what you say, the gfx cards are fine, but its just the chipset.

How about taking off the chipset fans, and replacing with low profile water blocks. They should be about the same height, but much more efficient.

-OR-

If you only have a few mm clearance, between fan and chipset, how about changing the fan to one which pulls air from the side, not the top.

Well....chipset is watercooled currently. still need just as many fans, due to the radiant heat from the vidcards.

Trying another motherboard....